Looking for reliable pearl supplier

In Hong Kong nearly all companies accept credit cards, but they will charge you an extra 3%. It really is not worth it. In Zhuji very few, if any, will accept cards. Cash works well, but only RMB ? the dollar is no longer king there. If you are dealing in the open-atrium market you will get the best deals for cash. If you are dealing with a factory, a wire transfer is expected and accepted.

What you need to do is set up International money wire capabilities with your home bank. You can then wire the money into your supplier?s account from China. I suggest going with US Bank as a typical wire reaches China the same day you place the T/T order.

When selecting pearls keep your own notes. Watch them wrap your hanks, watch them weigh your hanks. Then sign your package several times with your signature crossing a taped crease. This way you can ensure you are receiving the pieces you have selected. If you are having the pieces strung into finished jewelry for you, make CERTAIN you are present the entire time. Check every piece they use to ensure they are using the pearls that YOU selected.

I would strongly advise against leaving the selected pearls with any trader, promising to T/T them when you get back, and expecting them to send the product when they receive the money. Finish selecting all pearls completely. Order the T/T. Stay with them while they prepare the shipment. And sign every taped crease.

Most traders in Zhuji carry around a lot of cash. I have never hired a guard locally, although I have taken bodyguards with me in the past when the amount of cash I was carrying was exceedingly large. In more than a decade I have never had any issues, however, even traveling nearly every month. The report you received appears to be more of a scare tactic than anything else. Yes, there is crime. But just be careful and discrete ? you should be fine.

You will buy from pearl factories only. You will not be buying from any farms. Your current suppler only buys from factories as well (unless your supplier is a factory, or if the factory is a farm coop). So you will not need to travel into any of the outlying areas. There are literally hundreds of factories within a half mile of the Shanxiahu market.

An interpreter is not absolutely necessary. Most factories have at least one person that speaks English. Some of the smaller factories may require the use of a interpreter, but you can request this service from your hotel. Keep in mind that YOU need to select this interpreter, and anyone offering their services to you WILL be taking a cut. If you enter a factory and they start talking back and forth, they are doing nothing more than negotiating over the size of the interpreter?s cut. I learned this back in Behai in the late nineties (before I studied Mandarin). Prices dropped dramatically when I returned to the factories WITHOUT my guide. Negotiation was done with a calculator and nothing more.

It would be wise to set up transportation in advance from Hangzou to a hotel in Zhuji. But do NOT set it up through anyone with ties to the industry. They will befriend you, you will trust them, and you will lose. I have said this before and I will say it again, if you know where to go in China, there is NO reason to make virtual friends before you get there. You need to think on your feet and make your own decisions. The people who contact you over the Internet are simply looking to make that cut. Furthermore, they will only lead you to the factories that give the best cut, and will probably over charge you.

You can ship the pearls back from Zhuji if you do not have the means to carry them. Standard rates are approximately $12 per kilo. Make sure to declare the true value when shipping. If you decide to carry, do not carry more than $2000 in product unless you have a stateside broker.

Lastly! Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate! If a price is offered, low-ball them by a LARGE margin. This is a good way to start if you do not really know what you are doing. If you know current factory pricing this game is not as important. But if you do not know (and 99.999% of buyers do not), low ball them. You may be very surprised. BUT, it is very important to look at all pieces you are interested in BEFORE you start to negotiate prices. If you negotiate over the first batch, get a good price, and then move on to the next. They have already won. They now know where to start the pricing.

It is also a very good idea to go to several factories before selecting pearls, collecting a few samples to ensure you are comparing apples to apples. This will give you more of a sense of pricing.

Pearlgifts said:
Jeremy is very correct in one comment from other thead in this forum. If you have to go overseas in person to shop for pearls and know where to go. Do not make any contact because you pay high price for those contacts.

I did not listen to him and I learned my lesson.

Hi Pearlgifts!

What do you mean? What happened? Do you mind explaining?.

this post #21 from Jeremy is priceless. Every sentence, if not word, is full of meaningful advice no gem course can teach you -and few to none other pearl mongers than on this forum wold consider sharing such inside info. This advice is built on lessons Jeremy learned in the last ten years and we all know he is pulling ahead of the pack of foreigners trying to do direct business with China.

The Chinese want to do direct business with us too, so there is much to be gained by both sides, by folks proceeding to China in a fully prepared and educated way.

We Americans are woeful when it comes to bazaar bargaining. There is no substitute for experience and we do not have a lifetime of haggling behind us. It makes us prey to many subtle (and not so subtle) subterfuges, ploys, pleadings and just being worn down.

Do not fool yourself into thinking you are going to get a great deal- you will be lucky and rightfully proud, to get fair value. I would liken an American going into bargaining with anyone from a culture where negotiating a price in the open market is standard to taking candy from a baby. Or the average surburban Anglo doing a pickup game of basketball in the projects. Or the average gambler trying to win at ***** with pros.

Good communication skills and good ability to read folks would help. Also being aware of your own body language, Any body language of tentative-ness or confusion will get you plucked quicker than a fresh duck.

Be prepared to walk away- it is the innocent foreigners best tool. (That can be when the real bargaining begins) I always think of that great, great line Geronimo delivered in "Broken Arrow" (an old, corny movie of my childhood). He could not make a political deal with the white-eyes that gave him what he wanted for his followers. Finally, he broke an arrow, dropped it, stared at Tom Jeffords or Cochise, (I can't remember for sure) and said, "I walk away". Then he did. I remember being so shocked my eyes filled with tears as I watched his proud back leave the camp. My sister and I went home from that movie and practiced giving that line like the movie star did. With a straight back, a proud demeanor, dignity intact. We have reminded each other of this line over the years - it has many good uses, especially as a reminder to keep your principles and dignity in tricky situations.

Last edited:
Pearltime:

I did my research for where to buy pearls in quantity from factories in China before my trip to Zhejiang, China. In fact, I knew exactly the route to take and place to shop.

However, since it was my first visit and I felt uneasy. I contacted one of them and received warm and well hospitality. In return, I brought the pearls from that factory. Later, when I toured around the area, I found that I had paid much much higher price for my purchases. Other factories around offered much lower prices for the same products. All the dinners, sightseeing, and receptions from that factory were actually came out from my own pocket. With the high prices I had paid, I could treat myself 10 times.

If you are planning to visit those factories in China, don't let them know you are from the United States before shipping. It seems that they all think Americans are rich and deserve high prices.

I'm sorry that happened to you, Pearlgifts. I guess that is a very costly lesson that few things in life are free. if i go i'll tell them I'm canadian. Most foreigners can't tell the difference,even the europeans can't.

Karen

Hi Pearlavenue!

I have bought a few pearls from FireMountain. They aren't too bad. I bought some large button white pearls which I liked. I also bought one strand of stick pearls. They aren't fine pearls but they are still nice for jewelry. I think they would look beautiful with gemstones.

Here is their site.
www.firemountaingems.com

I have no connection with them.
Karen

jshepherd said:
PearlGifts

You are right. There definitely are honest dealers in China. And yes, they all (without exception) claim to have their own farms. Even those who are clearly factory traders like ToPearl. You really have to rely on your instinct and referrals, like the nice feedback the same seller received at the top of this thread.

Yes, i agree on this. another truth is that: although some companies do not own pearl farms, they buy the pearl(without any process) directly from farmers ( a lot of peasants cultivate pearls in small scale) in order to reduce risk. Their price is ususally good as well.

What about me?

What about me?

Hi, I buy pretty large quantities directly from a certian very very large farm in S. China, but I am based in the USA with no brick and mortar, so my overhead is virtually non-existant.

Right now I am looking to increase my buying power with the farm (and thereby lower the prices I can demand) so, let me know what you need (yes, I will likely need photos, and it will be a bit of a long process) I will import what you need for USA if you are based here, I will charge exactly what my supplier charges, then I keep 15% of the order as my profit.

I am doing this so I can get all the inventory I need and push my purchases ever higher so that I can remain the lowest price undrilled pearl supplier in the US for the next 40 years.
thegemologist@gmail.com
http://www.undrilledpearls.com
817 776 0186

Purchasing from/in China

Purchasing from/in China

I purchase personally in the Shanxiahu (Zhuji) market once a month, buying large quantities of low-end an medium-range pearls for my online wholesale business. I'm a Canadian, living in the Philippines, and I have an excellent, trusted liaison that I team up with in the Shanxiahu market. I ship the pearls by local courier to Los Angeles. I have had no incidents and no fears in visiting China, but it's really important to have someone trustworthy there, especially at the beginning. And it's not worth going all that way and to all that trouble, if you are not purchasing a decent quantity of pearls (unless you are just doing it for the adventure of it!) Better to purchase from reputable semi-wholesalers online like firemountain (or us!). But if you are bent on visiting Shanxiahu, let me know, and I'll arrange for someone you can trust.

Hi Zhong,

Only cristaria plicata of rice krispy infamy grows in ditches. Hyriopsis cumingii that produces the fine Chinese freshwater cultured pearls requires much more care and skill in maintenance and nucleation. It also needs more water than a ditch can provide. The times of peasants growing pearls in ditches are long over. Cristaria plicata pearls dyed shrill colors in the 1990s are still sitting in pearl traders inventories gathering dust. They do not sell and traders have long ago stopped buying them. The only cristaria plicata pearl farming that is still going on involves half pearls and that is not done by peasants in ditches because again, the nucleation technique is more demanding, the shaped nuclei are more costly, and the mortality can be quite high.

Zeide

honest

honest

I can only say ,many honest vendors are not famouse in China .You need speed some time to find them.
The price is more cheaper at zhuji(fresh water pearls) and Zhanjiang and Beihai(saltwater pearls).

Back