Gem Show this weekend

Luvglitz

This weekend was the International Gem and Jewelry Show. This show is held three times a year in my city, and usually the January show is not the best. But, attend I must (in fact, I can’t wait for the show to open). The usual dealers that I buy from were in attendance. My most outstanding purchases were three strands of 12-15mm round FW pearls in colors the likes of which I had never seen before. The strands show the highest luster and many deep lavender blue colors. The peach color pearls are also an unusual shade. I wish I had bought all the dealer had to offer. I took pictures of the pearls while I was in a blue robe this morning while the light was right. So, if you see Dracula’s reflection in the sharp luster of the pearls, it is only me. Interestingly, the pearls are supposed to be 12-15mm. I measured the largest in the strands and not one of them were that large. I really do not care, however there had been a thread of the fudging on the size of Chinese FW pearls.

Attachments

• ThreeFW.jpg
    ThreeFW.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 37
  • Threeclose.jpg
    Threeclose.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 40
  • Threeclose2.jpg
    Threeclose2.jpg
    12.9 KB · Views: 38
  • ThreeFW2.jpg
    ThreeFW2.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 43
Thank you Pattye and Marianne. I just ordered lavender beader’s secret from you Pattye to string with. Neck shots to follow when strung.

Thank you Fridgetnator, Katbran, Sanippy and Jersey Pearl. On two of the strands I am going to use magnetic clasps so I can indeed make a rope, or detached them to wear single or nested.
Katbran, I will be in Hong Kong in April for a few days before embarking on a cruise. Where do I shop for pearls?

One finished strand two to go.

One finished strand two to go.

I had time today to knot and string one strand of my new FW pearls. I chose the strand with the more peach pearls. I used a magnetic clasp so I can make a rope if I wish or wear it alone. I love the look but would have liked the strand longer. I will add pearls to the next strand I knot.

Attachments

• Strung.jpg
    Strung.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 32
  • Strung2.jpg
    Strung2.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 35
Thank you GemGeek. I agree with you about weight, however a girl has to do what a girl has to do. Seriously, I’m more concerned that the weight will stretch even Beader’s Secret. I’m about to start on the second strand so we will see. It’s too cold to venture out.

In my experience it is not that Serafil or Beaders Secret stretches -- I don't think it does (although I may be wrong about that)-- but that with heavier pearls/longer strands, gravity and the movement/swinging of the strands while on the neck cause the knots to tighten over time. So you may wish to restring periodically. But the thread is not expensive, and the larger the pearls, the fewer knots per inch.

I think you might want to use the heavier size of Serafil or Beaders Secret, too.

Last edited:
PDs I was just going to make that recommendation! I restrung my 12-15mm Edisons on heavier Beader's Secret and I am so pleased with how well it worked. The knots are a tad larger, but on larger pearls they don't look bigger than usual. I used rose on this strand.IMG_3152.jpgIMG_3158.jpg

JerseyPearl, your pearls look like colorful bubbles. I use Jane Gordon’s method of stringing. It’s basically a back stringing method so doubled thread ends up being 4 ply. This method works for me because it’s impossible to have a loose knot. However Beader’s Secret 30 is about as thick a string as can be used on most pearls. I do agree that on very large pearls the stretching could be do to the knots shrinking.

More Pictures

More Pictures

I strung another of my fresh water lavender/peach pearl strands. This strand has more lavender pearls. It is the bottom strand in the pictures. Sorry, the light changed, and I couldn't get a good picture of just that strand.

Attachments

• TwoFW.jpg
    TwoFW.jpg
    11.9 KB · Views: 32
  • TwoFW2.jpg
    TwoFW2.jpg
    10.9 KB · Views: 32
Back