south sea siopao

cocoa01

Hi,

I have just obtained a pair of rose siopao pearls from the south sea.....does anyone know whee i could look to see how much they are worth?

Thanks

I am not familiar with "siopao" as a term related to pearls.

Please post photos of the pearls-- in focus, against a white background and without flash.

Edit: I see "siopao" are hot buns in the Philippines...and googling "siopao pearls" brings up images of freshwater pearls-- mostly off-round ones. Freshwater pearls from China are often misrepresented as South Sea pearls (or Tahitians, or akoyas) and rose/pink is a common color that is naturally occurring in freshwater pearls (but not in south sea pearls.)

In all likelihood you have a pair of freshwater pearls from China, but if you post a photo we can confirm this.

Last edited:
I'm with PD, hearing the word Siopao relating to Pearls is unfamiliar as well.

It looks like this is something coined in the PI as far as I searched online. It looks to be more of button freshwater pearls.

Please post pictures!

Siopao is a weird way to describe button/ short potato shape of pearls through visual similarity to a Chinese bread pies with fillings.. I've only seen it being used a few times and related to low-quality Chinese freshwater pearls.

I suppose if the term is used to describe shape, it can be applied to South sea pearls as well :confused: but the term wouldn't add to the value of the pearls. Button shape is button shape :)

If you show the photos of your pearls and their size - it would be easier to advise on their value.. If you really have a pair of well-matched rose-toned South sea pearls with non-enhanced color - they can be quite valuable irrespectively of their shape.

01EE1156-8AFE-440B-9C40-CD4483AA8D35.jpg

Your thoughts would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Color, shape and size look like Chinese, button shaped, freshwater pearls. They are inexpensive. The pearls themselves may be worth $10 to $20. The earring finding is probably worth more than the pearls.

I agree with BWeaves.

Many people find that button shaped pearls sit nicely against the ear lobe and are less likely to sag than round pearls. Your earrings are also solid-nacre pearls-- no bead inside. They will be very durable-- and the color is natural. Enjoy!

Thanks....somewhat gutted....but great to know. I will post some more pictures of necklaces that i have the option to buy long with 2 south sea champagne pearls.....I have no idea of real value....again thoughts would be appreciated.

South sea pearl necklaces

South sea pearl necklaces

I agree with BWeaves.

Many people find that button shaped pearls sit nicely against the ear lobe and are less likely to sag than round pearls. Your earrings are also solid-nacre pearls-- no bead inside. They will be very durable-- and the color is natural. Enjoy!

9858DBC8-9BA7-44B8-8769-6CE5AE5DF769.jpg
Picture of a a south sea pearl necklace - thoughts as to value appreciated please.

They look like relatively low grade freshwater pearls, some dyed, some with bead nucleuses.
Not worth much IMO. Lots of surface blemishes.

But if you love the look, I would not pay more than $40-50.

I agree, low grade freshwater pearls with bead nucleus. The black ones are dyed, and are not even dyed a pretty color. The white and gold pearls have lots of blemishes. This necklace is not worth very much.

Don't feed gutted, cocoa. You were depending on the honesty of the seller. As for the mixed color strand and two singles, I would walk away the wiser and save my money for something really lovely. You are wise to ask questions here ahead of purchasing. We all had to start somewhere.

I started my pearl purchases years ago with inexpensive pearls that weren't very good quality. As I've educated myself and seen more pearls in person from different vendors, I've gotten better at knowing the good stuff when I see it, and the bad stuff when it's misrepresented. The one thing I will say is that my love of pearls spans all price ranges and qualities.

There is a learning curve in any hobby! Partly it's learning about the items we collect, and partly it's learning about our own tastes, which grow and change. Along the way a lot of money may be spent that is later regretted, but it's all part of the journey.

There’s a learning curve with passions, too.

I’ve been passionately in love with pearls in all forms since I got my first little coat with pearl buttons, before I could talk. I still bought what I could afford, which meant inexpensive pearls at the start, and I still enjoy them (mostly). Your earrings are lustrous and attractive, highly wearable! I think you’ll enjoy them. (ps, then you’ll keep falling in love and buying more!)

You’re in good company here. Everybody has stated it beautifully above. Welcome!

Last edited:
The earrings are really pretty and you should enjoy wearing them. I would stop there are the necklace might be cause for regret after you see more of what is available. The whole wonderful world of pearls is waiting to be explored and learning will happen as you go. Hugs!

16D7AA45-AE6C-428C-9024-3C2258087956.jpg
EA999F6D-9897-45D5-ABA8-B11C1D67D6AD.jpg
Thanks everyone for your reEA999F6D-9897-45D5-ABA8-B11C1D67D6AD.jpgplies.....it is certainly I big learning curve. One more neEA999F6D-9897-45D5-ABA8-B11C1D67D6AD.jpgvklace fir yiyEA999F6D-9897-45D5-ABA8-B11C1D67D6AD.jpgr opinions please. I believe the champagne ones are dyed but don’t know if the white are south sea? If yes, ideas on value of necklace? Thanks in advance.

I would absolutely pass on purchasing this strand. I think Octavia's Mom gives fabulous advice. Take a bit of time to browse around the various vendor sites, read the forums, and look at reviews! And if you're really wanting to do a deep dive into pearls (pun intended) try the Pearls as One course!

Back