Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Online shopping in USA and shipping to EU: broker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pearlescence
    replied
    I import and export (formerly into the rest of the EU #sigh) mostly with fedex and they have never told me to get a broker. I ship around the world and have never encountered this. Most of the big shipping companies do their own customs clearing under arrangements from the government so don't need a broker, especially if the paperwork is correct.
    The EU does expect an EORI number - perhaps that is the problem with goods from the USA?

Leave a comment:

• KarinK
    replied
    That sounds strange. I got a custom piece of jewelry delivered to Denmark from Israel a few weeks ago. It was sent by Fed-Ex. A week after delivery I received a letter from Fed-Ex with the additional cost I had to pay to have imported it from outside the EU.

Maybe you could contact Fed-Ex or DHL?

Leave a comment:

• CortezPearls
    replied
    Good morning PBFR and welcome to our Pearl Loving forum

I don't know the rules for France BUT I used to ship hundreds of packages (with pearls and jewelry) every year to Europe, pre-Pandemic era. I believe it will not be that hard...in my experience, shipping companies -such as DHL or FedEx- will require you to choose a broker, they will actually give you a list of brokers (could be long or short) and you chose from these or just tell the shipper: you take care of this and they will have their own broker (this is common with FedEx and UPS). And that is about it! So, all you need is to ask them to use their broker. It may have changed recently, but as of 2019 this was the case.

Once the broker imports the goods into France you will pay the broker's fee (be sure to ask about the fees! You do not want a nasty surprise) and import tax and you will soon receive your package.

I hope this has been of help to you.

Leave a comment:

• PBFR
    started a topic Online shopping in USA and shipping to EU: broker?

Online shopping in USA and shipping to EU: broker?

Hi all,

I'm a EU resident (France) and will buy a pearl necklace and earrings in the coming months.

I saw things that would fit my needs on Pearl Paradise however they told me that the last few shipments they made to France were "undeliverable" as Fedex and DHL require the customer to chose a broker to clear customs and take care of duties.
    I have no idea what kind of broker that would be or the cost it would have.

Could any of you enlighten me on the process?
    Thanks,
Working...
X