Xmas idea 2007

S

Slraep

Well, that wonderful time of the year is fast approaching and I was going a bit nuts yesterday trying to find some incredibly unique gift to top the gaudy ostentation of last year's Solid Gold 1.5 metre Xmas Tree by jewellers Ginza Tanaka for only $850,000.00USD.

My search was proving fruitless until I cleverly thought, "hey, why not check what those planet loving guys at Ginza Tanaka are up to THIS YEAR." And guess what??? That's right! Behold, the Solid Gold Santa dude!! Sure the jolly guy from the North Pole looks like he fell into a barrel of molten yellow metal and was rescued before he evaporated but who cares! Here he is in all his glowy glory--- 20 kilos of pure gold with 23 diamonds embedded on a belt buckle totalling 1.7-carats. Santa is also packing a pack made of finely spun gold threads, filled with(what else?) 10 gold coins. He stands 41 cm high and costs $1,817,355.00USD. Yes, I know he is a little expensive and the US dollar has recently taken a beating so just get one Solid Gold Santa instead of two, okay. You must pre-order though because it apparently takes three months to pour Santa into a mould, set two dozen diamonds in his belt, and stick a spun gold sack of coins on him.

http://www.ginzatanaka.co.jp/news/cmsARTI00000093.html

Slraep

Attachments

• gold-plated-santa_6642.jpg
    gold-plated-santa_6642.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 36
Last edited by a moderator:
Cool. While we're at it we might as well ask for a custom order of pearls to be encrusted, or better yet, put in the gift sack as presents!

Hm...not very original Can't help thinking that making a tradition out of the golden tree would have been a better idea. :rolleyes:

007goldfinger.jpg

Raisondetre said:
Cool. While we're at it we might as well ask for a custom order of pearls to be encrusted, or better yet, put in the gift sack as presents!

I'm with you Raisondetre. Forget about Solid Gold Santa altogether. I've got way too many million dollar solid gold figurine bookends lying around my place anyway. What I really want is just a plain burlap or ash cloth sack full of fine pearls. Make that a fairly big bag.

Slraep

Not to change the immediate subject, but here is a little reindeer pin that is totally trashy, yet cute. It is abalone shell with rhinestones. from Pugster for about $13. If those were real diamonds it would really increase the trashy component 100fold.

Attachments

• pugster deer.jpg
    pugster deer.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 44
HUMMM---

Maybe I could pick the rhinestones out and glue in tiny seed pearls????

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Here is a new home for the Pearl of Allah. I think it is just as ugly. Who would have thought pearls could be this ugly.

Attachments

• PEARL_SKULL.jpg
    PEARL_SKULL.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 41
Gee! Caitlin! Who did that!? :eek: (the pearl skull, I mean).

Caitlin Williams said:
Here is a new home for the Pearl of Allah. I think it is just as ugly. Who would have thought pearls could be this ugly.

I think the word "ugly" is too mild an adjective for the thing. The word "fugly" seems more appropriate. However did you find it Caitlin? It hurts my eyes just to look at it! Pretty much an atrocious way to use pearls. Still, I might know someone who deserves it as an Xmas present and I could easily carve a skull out of one of those useless blocks of unrecyclable packing styrofoam and glue gun faux pearl beads from old necklaces onto it. Heheheheheh. It's someone in Fresno.....

Slraep

Caitlin Williams said:
Not to change the immediate subject, but here is a little reindeer pin that is totally trashy, yet cute. It is abalone shell with rhinestones. from Pugster for about $13. If those were real diamonds it would really increase the trashy component 100fold.

That's a lot of cute for $13. I think Trashy Little Reindeer is way cuter than Solid Gold Santa. And if you dropped it accidentally on Xmas Eve it wouldn't send you to the emergency with a crushed toe either. Imagine having to explain to the triage nurse that 20 kilos of solid gold in the shape of St. Nick fell onto your foot.

Slraep

That skull is apparently considered "art" I found it when I used a "Live Search" for images for "Christmas pearls".
I don't know why it made the list, but there it was. I don't think it could be uglier if it tried.

Caitlin, I think I've finally found the perfect Xmas gift for US! Get a load of this thing! It's a cold water aquarium coffee table. Just think of all the North American bivalves we could raise right in our own livingroom! Oh the possibilities! And it's only $2000.00USD. What a conversation piece. Who needs a TV, eh?? I'd be sitting around the coffee table drinking fresh beet and carrot juice, just watching those cuties g-r-o-w.

http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/offering_info.php?offerings_id=172

Attachments

• coffeetable300x225.jpg
    coffeetable300x225.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 54
Caitlin Williams said:
I love it. We can keep our favorite bivalves as pets and hand feed them everyday!

That's right! Compared to those poor bivalves fighting for their lives in nature because of pollution and other manmade problems, ours would be living like royalty in their own private decadent water castle. We'd get the best algae for them---Chlorella, Spirulina, Super Blue Green and E3Live!! They'd be chubby, happy little things.

I think we'll have to get a full spectrum lamp of some sort too.

Slraep

Slraep said:
Caitlin, I think I've finally found the perfect Xmas gift for US! Get a load of this thing! It's a cold water aquarium coffee table. Just think of all the North American bivalves we could raise right in our own livingroom! Oh the possibilities! And it's only $2000.00USD. What a conversation piece. Who needs a TV, eh?? I'd be sitting around the coffee table drinking fresh beet and carrot juice, just watching those cuties g-r-o-w.

http://www.theaquariumshop.co.uk/offering_info.php?offerings_id=172

This is why I love this forum!!!:D

Tame mussels. I kind of like mussel consciousness. They really are sweet little guys.

Just think, we could listen to them singing. They do sing, you know-

And I think the way they cuddle up to each other is really cute too.

Caitlin Williams said:
Tame mussels. I kind of like mussel consciousness. They really are sweet little guys.

Just think, we could listen to them singing. They do sing, you know-

And I think the way they cuddle up to each other is really cute too.

They really are one of the most amazing little creatures the universe has ever created. Yes, they do sing! And it's kind of romantic to watch all that cuddling...

Slraep

???

Mussels sing and cuddle?

Now that coffee table, my cat would love that! He was sitting on top of our terrarium watching the hermit crabs yesterday, utterly fascinated.

Like me, are you finding today's pearl jewellery just a tad boring? Are Tahitians-on-a-string and plain pearl pendants just making you yawn? I think I've found the perfect holiday gift for the secret pearl fashonista in you.

It's the 3-D pearl necklace named "Poke Your Eye Out ....oops, I mean “Glamorous Night" !!! Made from 18K gold and 456 natural pearls, it is said to suit a unique lifestyle. Whatever you can imagine that means. Or doesn't mean.

Everyone does realize just how many wild pearly oysters where plundered only to end up supplying 456 natural pearls for this incredibly wearable and flattering necklace, right?

http://news.xinhuanet.com/photo/2007-06/12/content_6232907.htm

Attachments

• xinsr1.jpg
    xinsr1.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 46