World's largest FWP, "Sleeping Lion", up for auction

Pearl Dreams

Pearl Enthusiast
I just saw this article on CNN.com:

World's largest freshwater pearl up for auction in the Netherlands
https://www.cnn.com/style/article/worlds-largest-pearl-sleeping-lion-auction-netherlands/index.html

The world's largest known freshwater pearl is going on sale at a public auction in the Netherlands next week. Known as "The Sleeping Lion" due to its unique shape, the rare natural object weighs almost 120 grams (4 ounces) and is over 2.7 inches long.

Along with its size and animal-like appearance, the pearl is renowned for its approximately 300-year history, during which it changed hands between colonial merchants, noble jewelers and European royals, including Catherine the Great.

The Sleeping Lion will be sold at the Venduehuis auction house in The Hague on May 31, with top estimates valuing it at 540,000 euros ($632,000).

The article goes on from there.

Oh, Cees ... calling Cees ... going to the auction? :)

its around 10 minutes from my house so will be there for sure ;)

parel_1.jpg
the pearl on display as the maxima pearl some years back, they now took it of its display and gave the old name the sleeping lion back to it

anyhow having 1300 blisters in my collection i do wonder what this one will go for, if i knew before i would have made sure to have added a bunch of other freak naturals to this auction normally there is just not a crowd for it.

fun fact: its the same auction house that sold the painting by vermeer the girl with the pearl earring in 1881 for 2 guilders something around 1,5 usd ;) for people who want to go there the painting is shown in a museum just around the corner from where they show the pearl this weekend

auction link
https://wavemaker.venduehuis.com/auction_lot/218561-the-sleeping-lion-pearl#lot

Last edited:
Cees joined to see the pearl today, Seen the pearl in a museum and during a art fair some years back and its a big freak pearl but the most important is the story behind it from moving between royals to faberge taking it to russia to coming back to Amsterdam it has quite the history so would be nice in a museum collection.

Wow, thanks Daniel! I love the books more than the pearl so far :)

My daughter said it looked like a newborn elephant, which is the animal I was seeing as well.

photo from the CNN article (in case anyone is unable to click on the link):

CNN article photo Sleeping Lion pearl.jpg

Kathy Keshi,

Sorry I am not much online now because I have no internet at my lake house in The Netherlands, but I try to go to the auction with Daniel this coming Thursday

"lake house in the Netherlands" ... enjoy your time, Cees. I long to make a return visit to the Netherlands someday :)

It's very ORGANIC....and Historic!

How interesting! Thanks for the musuem photos. Daniel, Cees, looking forward to your auction report!

Of course, this pearl is not miss Universe, but high scarcity value, that's enough to be appreciated by inquisitive minds, collectors too.
Anyway, this piece makes us to wonder how nature can produce such objects. If I had found it myself, I would not think it's really a pearl, without an expert advise. Question stays to know what freshwater mollusc has made that.
Edit: that to comment a other post... deleted now.

Last edited:
Back