will pearl prices keep increasing in 2024?

Happy New Year! it were sad years when pearls are too expensive and silver could not match them.
I have a dream that one day, pearls and silver will join hands and collaborate to create the most exquisite jewelry the world has ever seen. That's what we are working hard for. haha

Lower quality pearls and smaller sizes can still make a good fit with Silver!

The akoya auctions are happening right now in Japan, and prices are up another 40%. That means akoya prices will continue to rise this year, and the compounded increase over the past two years is now 3.75.

Tahitian pearl prices have stabilized somewhat and CD material dropped about 30%. C/D 8-10 circles were going for $10-$11 per pearl (lot prices) in September. They are now down to $7-$8. There hasn't been any decrease in fine goods (A-A/B). Demand is still higher than supply.

At the Paspaley auction for South Sea in September, lots were purchased from 2x+ over floor pricing, effectively doubling the price of fine goods for 2024.

Anymore news recently surrounding the prices of pearls? Seems like they are continuing to rise further - are people beginning to treat pearls not only for luxury but also investment too?

Prices vendors have to pay for their stock are rising because of scarcity, and so the increases are passed along to customers.

This is very different from considering pearls an investment. Buying pearls at retail cost is like buying a new car. It loses value as soon as you drive it around the block.

Pearls lose value unless they belonged to someone very famous. They're not an investment. Buy them because you love wearing them.
Prices vendors have to pay for their stock are rising because of scarcity, and so the increases are passed along to customers.

This is very different from considering pearls an investment. Buying pearls at retail cost is like buying a new car. It loses value as soon as you drive it around the block.
I appreciate both of your replies, I'm quite new to the space. Any word on the ongoing Paspaley auction? I'm a big admirer of South Sea Pearls in particular and I guess I am trying to seek information about whether I should wait to buy them or if prices will continue to rise as they have over the last 6 months or so.

In October there was only one A grade lot that went for less than $1000 per momme and it was a straight-size 8 mm lot. This month, only the top-gem lots broke $1000/momme and most A lots were in the 5-$800 range.
Hi J i would be very interested news about pearl pries in the last few weeks -- up down sideways thank you Joe

Back