Why are these pearls stuck together?

Michela11

Hi everyone,

I'm new the forum, been around reading here for a whole, but this is my first post.

I recently purchased a bulk lot of dyed freshwater pearls online to make some fun necklaces etc and practise my terrible knotting.

They were all dyed brown/bronze strands. All cheap etc.

However, these coin (if you can call them that) pearls are just plain weird.

The nacre covers two and even three "coins" around most of two strands, clumping them together, with some pretty unsightly nacre messy tails as well.

Des anyone know what this is? How would it happen?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 39
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 41
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 43
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 47
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 44
That happens because the growers put multiple coin beads in each clam and they sometimes bump up against each other and get covered with nacre into one pearl. Even when no bead is used, the tissue nucleated pearls can touch and be covered with nacre producing so-called "peanut" pearls.

Thanks Caitlin. Looks like those poor clams were jam packed full of beads, they're all doubled and the nacre is really messy.

Maybe those are the clams the new technicians produce before they get good at nucleating. (wink) Those are the commercial or beading quality pearls. They are a lot of fun and the creations made with them are fun to wear and also make great gifts. They are perfect way to start with pearls. Enjoy!

Hi and welcome
You don't see these multiple pearls as much as you used to - growers have realised that there is a limit to how many pearls you can get from one freshwater mussel and stopped shoving in as many as they can. Now they start fewer and get a better result..most of the time.
These are clearly coin pearls which have been over-grafted. Too many coin nuclei too close together. They are a curiosity but can appeal to anyone who likes weird.

Wendy, bad girl! - don't you mean Different
Aha! Not Wendy-bad, my bad! I just came from your site, Wendy, and you've got a category called Weird Pearls! I've been away too long...

Last edited:
Ah, those old semantics!
Different would pose the questions 'different to what?/ diferent from what? would it not? or are we getting very politically correct around here and it should be differently round? Anyone got any suggestions for a errr different descriptor?

I like 'weird' :) But then I subscribe to fake instead of faux as well. Must be my Scandinavian heritage... We have a couple of classic children's books so politically incorrect it would horrify you.

- Karin

I like 'weird' :) But then I subscribe to fake instead of faux as well. Must be my Scandinavian heritage... We have a couple of classic children's books so politically incorrect it would horrify you.

- Karin

I like weird too. And bizarre. I will make something from them, I can see that they'd be very unique with some other stones or pearls. Just not sure how yet. Practise pearls in more ways than one ...

I Knew you'd catch the 'politically correct' tease, but felt the urge to tickle you. Then I felt an irresistible urge to visit your site, and lo and behold - "Weird Pearls"! Smacked down, perfect rejoinder and you didn't even have to hit Quick Reply;). (****s and giggles, thanks for the laughs!)

Last edited:
Back