What kind of pearls are these

Well, it may be that the pearls were misrepresented as Natural (uncultured) pearls at the point of original sale, thus inflating the price. It happens.

They might've been marketed as that valuable due to the size of the pearl, or some other factor.

Jewelry is about beauty and romance, and marketing, right?

Last edited:
How disappointing to believe you have something of great value, and find it's not quite so. We welcome your questions. As Lisa describes, misrepresentation can happen. Cultured baroque akoya pearls would never have been valued at anything close to the amount you mention, even if appraised at retail replacement value for insurance purposes, even in 1972.

Here's a pearl necklace with an ornate ruby clasp, round pearls, but slightly newer. http://www.rubylane.com/item/918511-GN298/AAA-Cultured-Pearl-Ruby-Diamond

It is hard to fathom anyone being willing to paying so much for a baroque akoya strand unless they were told the pearls were natural. Shocking, really.

If you feel the need to set your mind at ease, you can certainly pay to have them Xrayed by a lab. Really it's up to you.

Hi
A little bit more information. The pearls were purchased approx 1972 for 40,000 Austrian Schilling. This roughly equates to about ?28,000 or $45,000 in todays money. The antique gold clasp (circa 1820) was purchased separately. Sorry for all the questions, but has the value of vintage Akoya cultured pearls really dropped so much that they are now worth in the rangge of approx $100's.
Thanks again guys for all your advice

No, the value has not dropped that much. Though it has gone down I don't believe it was never that high, not even right when the cultured pearls came out. The only thing that could justify that kind of price would be if these pearls are natural pearls, made in the oyster with no help from man at all. It doesn't seem likely but with part of it's story included I understand if you want to have it tested.

We have seen on occation people here who have gotten their dentist to shoot a couple of x-rays. If there is a bead inside the pearls are akoya and the estimates you've been given here are correct and someone was cheated back in the 60'ies. If there is no bead inside you could go on to having it officially certified.

- Karin

Hi
A little bit more information. The pearls were purchased approx 1972 for 40,000 Austrian Schilling. This roughly equates to about ?28,000 or $45,000 in todays money. The antique gold clasp (circa 1820) was purchased separately. Sorry for all the questions, but has the value of vintage Akoya cultured pearls really dropped so much that they are now worth in the rangge of approx $100's.
Thanks again guys for all your advice

Ouch, that would hurt to think they has dropped so much in value or that the 1970's buyer was so misled. It sounds like you might have to have them lab tested to know for sure and put your mind at rest. Personally, if I owned such a wonderful clasp (and the pearls were vintage akoyas), I'd treat myself to some magnificent new pearls, possibly slightly larger, have them strung with the old clasp and would wear them and enjoy them!
Please let us know how you get on.

If it wasn't for the high price originally paid, I wouldn't be questioning them or the experts at all. From what history, my wife has found out - the buyer was a jewellery / pearl collector and hand pivked the pearls and clasp separately. Going to have to arrange a test just for piece of mind . Thanks

Please let us in on the results! We are always eager to learn - and we are curious beyond redemption. It would be wonderful if the neckless is a natural pearl treasure.

- Karin

If it wasn't for the high price originally paid, I wouldn't be questioning them or the experts at all. From what history, my wife has found out - the buyer was a jewellery / pearl collector and hand picked the pearls and clasp separately. Going to have to arrange a test just for piece of mind . Thanks

Natural pearls have flame or champagne patterns. Natural pearls are translucent and very often the string is visible through the pearl, especially with back light. Up until now, 7-7.5 mm is the most produced size of cultured pearl on the planet. To produce a non-graduated strand of 84 natural pearls would require selection from a pool of thousands, probably tens of thousands. With that, the strand will still often be graduated.

Even in superb quality strands there are grading compromises (graduations, if you will). This strand was graded by A- Luster, then B- Color, then C- Size, then D- Shape. Four points of uniformity (not to mention blemishing) scarcely seen in natural strands. Anyone with a natural strand will tell you they enjoy them for their imperfect, yet tastefully presented features, not near matches on multiple points.

Nearly every strand that is sold is hand/eye graded by the farmer or their wholesaler and seldom by jewelers unless motivated by huge value adds for exclusive retail. If this person was a collector and produced a matched strand (especially with these specs), it's highly unlikely they'd send it out without a trace of their effort on the product.

These pearls have no supporting documentation, no hallmarks, are industrially common in size and have shallow opacity with no visible structural patterns.

Thanks for sharing, Dave. This is really useful information for all of us!

- Karin

Those pearls are too matchy/matchy in color, size, and shape to be natural. Even the roundest natural strands have some variation in roundness, color and size. These look like akoyas at best. I am very sorry they were misrepresented. I suppose it is way too late to do anything about it, but i would, if I could. There appears to be major fraud.

Thought I'd give you guys an update. Sent the pictures to a dealer in London. He was very interested, sent a same day courier to collect and had them x-rayed the following day. Turns out they are cultured as you'd all advised they were. No costs for me so not so bad.....

Thanks again

Thanks so much for coming back to tell us!

It adds to the body of information and will undoubtedly be helpful to future readers who have been given reason to believe they have natural pearls.
I'm glad you didn't have to spend money find out they were cultured.

The clasp is so fabulous that I would be inclined to buy a really stunning strand of size-proportionate pearls (maybe SSP?) and have them strung with that clasp!

You got to find out for free - that's not as good as finding naturals, but a happy ending because you still have the strand and its cool clasp. :cool:

Back