What kind of pearls are these?

MissCandy

I don't know a whole lot about them. My grandmother gave them to me. She's almost 80 now, and she's had them since she was about 16 or so. I do know they are real, just don't know what kind they are. IMG_6388.jpg

They look like they could be nice pearls but that photo is not good enough to tell. Can you reshoot it on a whitish background with indirect light?

And perhaps try to rub two of them together gently. If they feel slightly gritty contrary to smooth they should be real pearls.

- Karin

Miss Candy,

What a lovely gift from your Grandmother! Figuring they are dated to about 1950 or so, and if they pass the gritty test they would be cultured Akoya pearls from Japan. Your photo is still not quite close enough to see the pearls real well, but they look well matched. Is the clasp karat gold? Or silver? A clasp with a pearl on it seems to indicate genuine, not imitation pearls.

Last edited:
I knew about the how if they're real, they're gritty. They definitely passed that test. Sorry for the lack of a good picture. All I have is my phone. The clasp is silver. Says silver on the back of it. Only words on the entire necklace.

Very good news! I hope you will wear and enjoy your lovely necklace! Pearls are always "in" but even more so now! If the string is dirty or stretched out, please consider having them restrung, or if you want to do it yourself, there are directions under the "Lowly Beaders" thread.

Back