What kind of pearl is this and what is it worth?

kadams

Pearl is gritty and clasp is 14k italian. Grandma gave it to me. please help me identify and value. 20141020_091051.jpg

Try taking an close-up in indirect daylight on a white paper towel. That will help. :)

It looks a lot like a small akoya pearl pendant I once had. The value would be in the gold, not the pearl.

- Karin

It looks a lot like a small akoya pearl pendant I once had. The value would be in the gold, not the pearl.

- Karin

So, we should ask about the dimensions of the chain, or weight of it or something?
sorry, I got carried away, we aren't metals appraisers... So, commonly we send people to eBay to get an idea of what people are willing to pay for things, or give general assessments like 'good quality', etc...

the ultimate judgement, for resale is Not retail or replacement value, but what consumers will pay. eBay gives a pretty good ballpark.

Last edited:
My husband and I were recently in New Orleans for a wedding and tried every oyster bar around. My husband was eating an oyster and found a pearl in it, we think. It was pretty funny as we thought he spit his tooth out on the table. I'm just wondering if the pearl is worth anything or if this happens all the time?

Hi funnystory and welcome!

We do hear something like this every month or so, and yes, it is a pearl. The value is mostly as a conversation piece, unless it is large, round and colorful, there might be some value. You are welcome to post a photo. A lucky find for sure, and glad it wasn't a tooth!

Most of us here would love to find a pearl in our oysters, but it's never happened.

Pattye, my mother once found a pearl in a cherrystone clam! Maybe that's where they got their name from? Any way, it was a very pretty purple/grey shade and kind of oval shaped and about 6mm. She had it set into a little cage to dangle from a charm bracelet. When she passed a few years ago, I gave that charm bracelet to my sister in law...so many memories of eating clams at the shore in the summer! Funnystory, maybe you should consider doing something similar with your pearl!

JerseyPearl, decades of putting away clams at NJ shore ... never a pearl ... how lucky your mother was :)

That's a great idea and I am lucky enough to have a friend who makes jewelry pieces.

What a great story! My family was from the South Jersey shore area (Atlantic City, Ventnor, Margate) and we never found a pearl!

OCNJ, JerseyPearl :)
Before my parents owned a home on LBI (late 70's thru 2006) we would spend summers in OC. So many fond memories of the beautiful boardwalk there...and it's still a dry town to this day! Now we live on the shore up in Monmouth Co. It's a bit different up where I am, but beautiful just the same. I am so fortunate to have the beach as my back yard, although my children always complained that they'd rather had a pool instead. Now that they are older, however, they appreciate it and I always have a house full of young people all summer long.

Also love the south shore towns, but haven't been down there in years.

What a great story! My family was from the South Jersey shore area (Atlantic City, Ventnor, Margate) and we never found a pearl!

It sounds like the sun and the sand are in your blood! I have such a strong emotional connection to the ocean, maybe it's because I'm a pisces? Maybe that's why I am so drawn to pearls!

And we have a saying up our way, "Real Jersey Girls have sand between their toes!"

Absolutely, JerseyPearl! I think that's one of the reasons I am so drawn to pearls as well; between growing up at the shore, and being a scuba diver. ..not to mention that pearl farming is actually good for the environment - sooo many reasons to love pearls!!

OC= Ocean City, NJ?

It's so cool, getting to know you guys :) in these casual asides. It makes PG a community, as well as a collegial place!

LBI = Long Beach Island?
or Islet? or Inlet!

Back