What do you think?

happy pearl

Just got this strand. What do you think of the quality?

Attachments

• DSC04756.jpg
    DSC04756.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 36
  • DSC04757.jpg
    DSC04757.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 33
What a great shade of peach! I know sometimes in photos pearls appear darker than life; how about a neck shot?

It is supposed to be pink. does it look like peach? Here is one on hand.

Attachments

• DSC04760.jpg
    DSC04760.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 35
These are supposed to be AAA from a reputable site. Why don't they look even close to Pearllove's freshdama collection? Is it the picture or the product?

The pictures are a bit blurred so I can't really tell. Color is very subjective. You either like it or you don't. As for shape, luster and surface, it should still fit the stated grading criteria used by that particular vendor. Are those in question? I'm just not sure what's being asked here. I don't like this particular shade as I'm more fond of either golden pink or salmon pink. Shape doesn't look off-round. Luster is a bit hard to tell.

Hi happy pearl! Try taking a picture in natural light, where the natural light is enough but there is no direct sunlight on the pearls. In your hand shot, you seem to have either used the flash or some direct light on the pearls which gives them a "yellowing" effect. In the first 2 pictures you posted, I think the light was probably not enough. But still the first shot out of those 2 does suggest good quality pearls.

In the top photo the pearls look very lovely. The other photos are all a bit blurry and far away to tell much. It is difficult enough to compare two strands of pearls when you have them right together to photograph!!
I can't see anything in the photos at this point to say they are not AAA quality.
I have many of strands of pearls of all colors in my craft room, and each has a slightly different coloring, slightly different shape, even when from the same hank. ;)

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thanks for the comments. I was expecting something of more "transparent" look from a high quality strand. However, I think it looks pretty dull. Since I am a new buyer, I am not even sure whether I expect too much from an AAA grading. If you all think this is it, I will just keep this strand and try to like it. Otherwise, I will get a better one.

Hi Happy Pearl,

Are you sure "transparent" is what you mean? That means clear enough to see through. Some top gemstone beads have that quality, but not any pearls that I know of. Have you worn the pearls in front of some of your friends and family to show them? What do they think of the color on you?

Pattye

I think you need to wear the pearls out to some high grade jewellery store and see for yourself, either to make sure you are happy with the quality, or to see whether your suspicions are confirmed as to the grade of the pearls.

There is no trying to like something you don't like. If you don't like the best of freshwaters, go for Akoyas. They are PPBs, but they do have mirror-like luster. Some of the rarer varieties (e.g. Vietnamese) do have thicker nacre, so it's not always a bad deal.

I was hoping for something like this (picture from Pearllove's post)...

Attachments

• l1030529ti8.jpg
    l1030529ti8.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 40
Hi Again,

I think what you are seeing is a difference in color, not quality. Perhaps you would consider exchanging the strand, and explain what color and overtones you prefer. Pearllove's strand seems to be a pink-peach, and yours more of a pink-lavender, perhaps appearing not as bright a color. Generally speaking, it seems like the most intense colors are in the smaller pearls, however, I do not know if Pearllove's strand had smaller size pearls than yours.

Pattye

Those overtones in Pearllove's photo-- those are what I don't see in your first photo, but it may be due to whatever lighting you used. My white Freshadamas show much stronger overtones under a daylight spectrum lamp than I see in ordinary daylight or other lamps.

Peach vs. pink? Don't forget colors may show differently on our monitors, but overall all the CFWP so-called pinks look more or less peachy to me.

Hmmm...just checked the colors of peach vs. pink on PP, and yours look more like pink than peach.

Last edited:
It may be that the particular shade you have just does not work with your skin tone. There are huge variations in the pink/peach/lavender pearls and a shade which works on one skin tone looks dead on another. Even the slightest difference in the pearls makes a huge difference, I've found.
The peachier pearls seem to wash out against a sunless white skin here in England, while the warmer pinks generally do well. Shades towards lavender/blue sometimes work and sometimes can look quite icy cold
It seems to be the hardest to get a perfect and loving match between pearls and wearer. But when you get just the right pearls - wow.

Just got this strand. What do you think of the quality?

Hi, (Un)happy pearl.

This strand looks to be from PP and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it. It is definitely more pink than peachy, that also means you are more lucky in getting such a colour, because the peachy ones are in majority. Nothing wrong with the luster either and if they are AAA-grade you should be very satisfied as the same strand in Freshadama would cost a lot more.

Anyway if you are not happy with it, return it and tell PP what you want. Transparency in this case would mean that these pearls also have water, which is not seen very often but perhaps you have seen Swarovski pearls or other fakes that have this look:confused:

Remember too that the colour in a photo does not look like the "real thing", I have never seen a photo that shows pearls as when seen in person....

Hi, (Un)happy pearl.

Nothing wrong with the luster either and if they are AAA-grade you should be very satisfied as the same strand in Freshadama would cost a lot more.

Transparency in this case would mean that these pearls also have water, which is not seen very often but perhaps you have seen Swarovski pearls or other fakes that have this look:confused:

Jerin - Thanks. I know that Freshdama would cost more, but would it look a lot nicer?

When I said transparent, I meant the variation of shades and shining that you can see from Pearllove's pic. It feels that it is NOT a SOLID pink color in each pearl. You can kind of see through it. I don't know whether i am making sense. :eek:

Hi Again,

\Generally speaking, it seems like the most intense colors are in the smaller pearls, however, I do not know if Pearllove's strand had smaller size pearls than yours.

Pattye

Yes, Pearllove's strand does have smaller size. Mine is 9-10. Interesting. I have not heard that smaller pearls have more intense color. I am wondering why that is. And if so, what is a good range for intense color, 2-7 or 2-8mm?

Pearl necklace

Pearl necklace

The strand is beautiful. You should try them on with different color outfits. My clothing seem to be about the same color tones, so I have a few strands that are complimentary to my skin tone*and*the colors I prefer to wear. You have to be happy with your pearls!

I think you are talking about luminosity, not water, which is bloody rare. Smaller pearls tend to be of better quality even in the same grade. Because of the shorter culturing time the number of things that can go wrong is greatly reduced. The pearls would be more round, lustrous and have fewer blemishes in the same grade. For blemishes it's mainly surface area-based, so for the same percentage of area that is allowable it would appear alot worse on a 10 mm than a 9 mm.

I would say for intense colors I've seen really nice pearls even up to 9 mm. Anything larger is a bit more difficult. The CFWP I've seen in China just looked really washed out.

Colors are very much subjective. Your strand looks a dusky pink, unless the lighting really makes it look different to what it really looks like in reality, which could very much be the case. The grade of the pearls is not in question, but you do not like the color from what I've gathered. I find that both golden pinks and intense salmon pink are more flattering than say a straight peach or dusky pink, though it's merely a variation within the same color family. The luster would of course add to the effect.

Another thing: pearls can look more lustrous and deeper colored in photos than in real life. The camera can also reduce the appearance of orient. I found it impossible to photograph some of my pearls accurately. So, I think only Pearllove knows what her strand looks like in real life.

If you do decide to order a Freshadama strand (or a similar quality from the other vendors), I suggest you talk to them first and tell them exactly what you are looking for, so they can select your strand with your specific wishes in mind.

Back