What do you reach for most?

I'm thinking of wearing (designer) jeans, a nice shirt and a blazer (business casual here) along with my upcoming pink Freshadamas (ordered!) and say that my boss sent me to find something nice for his wife.
Perfect!!

YES! She accepts the mission!! See if you can find out who the pearl lover and designer is for the store--looking forward to your report!

Callire, you go, girl! Then report back!

I've seen more exotics lately. We were in Tiffany's last week and I saw a 9-9.5mm multicolored CFWP strand that had exotics in it for $2100. Great looking strand in the case. Naturally I had to try them on! :p

I was wearing my 8-9mm round exotics that day so it was easy to compare the two strands. Tiffany's were lustrous, clean and round, but Jeremy's were all of that and had amazing color. No contest!

I've also seen a few oval multicolor strands which contained some exotics at T.J. Maxx, of all places. Nice and clean and good luster. The smaller ones were about 5-6mm and the larger were 7-8mm.

I bought the larger strand and took it apart. I'm going to combine some of the most colorful, lustrous pearls from that strand with Jeremy's 7.5-8.5mm oval exotics (my strand was very metallic but didn't have a lot of color variation) to make a necklace. There will be a few pearls left over to make dangle earrings.

Schools open in a week; maybe when my time is my own again, I can finally make it.

I'm curious to see what people really wear the most. I, of course, own an 18" 8mm strand of white pearls, ros? overtone, and matching earrings. Classic, right? Surely something I thought I would wear all the time. And do I? Hardly. What do I reach for again and again? A pair of baroque drop golden South Sea earrings from Care Ehret. Do you have "everyday" pearls? What are they? Am I the lone nut leaving her classic white rounds, sitting lonely in the drawer?

White 16" 7.5mm akoya (looks like an 18" due to my tiny neck) are my everyday pearls, usually with jeans, though my oval lavender FW come out fairly often. I have a grey akoya strand I love but I wear it sparingly because I want to be sure it lasts. I haven't really gotten into baroques. Definitely like round much more at this point.

If there's a good private school in your college town, all you need to add to your flipflops is a baseball cap from that school. For all they know, Daddy or Mommy is a billionaire.

Sea of Cortez pearls. The sizes are not too large so they are perfect for every day wear.
Second to that would be my Kasumis or Silver Tahitians.

Care

OK, I've been here long enough that I should know that, but what do you classify as exotics? I always "test drive" my creations by wearing them a couple of times to make sure there are no scratchy places, that the crimp doesn't give, and that they get noticed. If no one comments on something after a couple of times out, I sometimes take it apart to get it right. If I'm lucky, some pieces don't come home. So I reach for what is new a lot of times, but lately my "go to" is a simple pendant that I made with a 9mm Kamoka tahitian on a gold chain. I love how it goes with everything. If it were mine to keep, I think I'd wear my long Tin Cup Tahitian chain pretty much constantly, so maybe some day I'll have one to keep.

Waimeamomi,

Back in February Jeremy had a special offer of exotics-- these were perfect to near perfect CFW pearls (no flaws) with high luster (often metallic luster) and unusual and/or especially intense colors-- you can see some of them in my avatar.

There are some threads about these pearls with photos, just use the search feature.

If I find pearls that have the same qualities as those pearls had, that is what I mean by exotics.

Lately it has been so warm a simple pearl pendant has been just the thing. A new creation, white 13.5mm baroque fw (a "funky" pearl) with a bicolor Oregon sunstone roundel of teal and coral, silver leaf design bead cap, worn on simple sterling snake chain.

I always wear my tahitian earrings, they hang from a gold hoop and have a faceted blue topaz, white south sea keshi and a tahitian drop. I have made a number of tahitian, south sea, and keshi tincups and tend to choose from them. My current fave is gold with white and gold south sea keshi and yellow sapphires.

Sea of Cortez pearls. The sizes are not too large so they are perfect for every day wear.
Second to that would be my Kasumis or Silver Tahitians.

Care

And Care, I would love to have your collection - even for a week or so...

I've been wearing the same strand of pink/lavender/purple 12mm -14.5mm untreateds all weekend. Every time I look at it the colours are different.

Last edited:
Pearlescence - what a gorgeous necklace. I'm sure everyone around you was checking you out!

Care-
I would love to also have one of your collections, maybe soon . . .

I usually wear single pearl pendants...my dream is to put together a rope length necklace of 7-8mm. I adore ropes! Not sure that I want to go the Akoya route though. Still dreaming of my 12mm pistachio! Will meet with a pearl expert next week when he is in Montreal, he has exquisite taste in pearls - I will pass on my drool list to him at that time.

Cheers everyone!

Back