What do think ? Natural or not ?

FrenchPearl

I just received this vintage necklace that i got on ebay. The vendor stated them as a natural pearls necklace from the begining of the century with a 18 k clasp. He described the pearls measuring 1.5 mm for the smallest to 4 mm for the largest.
However, when i measured them, they are actually smaller from 1 mm to 3.5 mm . I did not know pearls could be that small !
They are definetly gritty and the thread is super dirty. Clearly, they are been used, but not well cared ;-)

There is a sort of translucence to them, i think i can see the dirty thread through the pearl... Unless it's the reflection of the thread on the pearl luster....

They look natural to me, but since i'm doing my pearl education through this forum, i'd love to get your opinion.

If they are natural, would they qualify as a seed pearls necklace because of they small size, rather than a graduated pearls necklace ? What is the size range in mm when pearls are called seed pearls ?

I'll take better pictures with my camera, but in the meantime, here are my cell phone shots.

Thanks in advance!
Sophie

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 30
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 31
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 27
They could be natural. Love to see them cleaned up and in better close up photos. I think you may very well have the real thing. Most may be called seed pearls but they are still natural pearls too if that is what they are.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Thank you GemGeek and Bodecia,
I really appreciate your opinion ! very exciting that they might be natural.
I gave a bath (and a massage :)) to the necklace. The thread is still very dirty, but I think the pearls look shinier.
The close up pictures show that many small ones looks damaged unfortunately.
I candled them and could see the thread through the pearls (could not photograph) except the bigger one where there was a shadow inside (not round though)
So what do you think ?
I paid $225 for them which seemed a good deal at the time, but is probably somewhat overpriced if i compared them to the seed necklace from ebay that was posted yesterday on this forum.
In any case, i plan to keep them , they are too small for me, but a keeper for my daughter later on.
Warm Regards
Sophie

image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.2 KB · Views: 33
IMG_1253.jpg

One more pic

Attachments

• IMG_1254 (2).jpg
    IMG_1254 (2).jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Reposting the pictures of the cleaned" pearls as the previous did not make it through.
Warm Regards
Sophie

Congratulations, and well done for the candling photo!
The necklace would look very pretty wrapped around your wrist until your daughter grows into them ;)

Hi FrenchPearl,

It is very hard to tell from the photos but your second to last photo makes me think they might be naturals. One of the pearls next to the large pearl in the middle looks to have a barrel shape and large drill holes. It looks to me like it has been worn down from a larger pearl into a barrel shape and there is still loads of lustre. Others also seem to have those large drill holes and seem to be slightly barrel shaped and that could be from wear partly. Don't worry about any little bits of peeling and wear as that can often be cleaned off in a pearl sludge wash and if they are not showing a mother of pearl bead, well all is good.

The candling photo has light escaping (like most of mine) so cannot really see what is inside of it although someone else such as Dave :) may be able too. Our expert pearl candling x-rayed. :)

Saying all that I think there is a reasonable chance that they are natural. Try taking some more and even better and close up photos. If you are going to be rethreading them you should be able to spot if they are naturals or not and still not sure choose a small pearl and smash it. Then take a really good close up photo of the remains. If it is all nacre they are naturals. Put remains of pearl in a small plastic bag for reference. No, not for a funeral :) Don't do that willy nilly though.

Regardless I think they are quite lovely.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

Thank you all for your kind words !
My necklace came back last week, all cleaned and re-stringed on silk and I love it ! I've changed my mind that it was too small for me and my dear daughter will have to wait until her sixteen birthday to receive it (I have 10+ years to go hehehe :). On its own or layered with other necklace, it's become my everyday necklace.

Icing on the cake, the appraiser who works with my jeweler thought it was natural seed pearls too. I'm not going to certify it, since I intend to keep it, but it's nice to know !
photo (3).jpgphoto (4).jpg

I love little pearls and I think your strand is so pretty! Enjoy!

I love them! They look so great on you! So dainty and pretty and lustrous! I'm really pleased with the luster. Congratulations on your new natural pearl necklace! :)

Back