What constitutes Gem Quality Pearls?

Kaywal

Hello,

I read in a thread about PP's Freshadamas vs. AAA that Jeremy's "Gem Quality" strands are not listed on his site.

Are AAAs not gem quality?
I recently bought an AAA bracelet from PP, and I was under the impression that it would be gem quality.

I also read that Freshadamas are gem quality plus orient. Is that correct?

Can you explain what gem quality is?

Thanks!
Kay

Last edited:
I think AAA has a margin for surface blemishing, so gem would technically be almost flawless. Freshadama is gem plus orient as per PP. At least that is my understanding.

Kay, Raisondetre is absolutely correct.

AAA pearls come as hanks and finish up as strands after stringing, while Freshadama quality and Gem quality come from loose pearls, the ones that are usually put aside for earrings, as these pearls must be flawless as they can be seen and inspected by people.

Both Freshadama and Gem are loose, difference is just that on the gem-quality you can?t see any orient but on the Freshadama you should see at least some.

When I posted under "The one exotic" under "Show us your pearls", You can look at my Gem strand (white) together with Akoya strand (baroque), I did post it just for that reason, as so many of our members were discussing PP:s January Special, which was this strand BTW.
It is 16 inch long compared to 24 inch (Akoya-strand).

the quality then would be in PP:s case:
AA+ (never under) for Freshwater pearls::)
AAA
Gem
Freshadama

There is still no universal grading for pearls, though most of the vendors here use the set criteria listed on their websites, which are by and large identical. The branding is vendor dependent and as discussed before different vendors have different specifications, e.g. roundness, luster, orient. So they are all gem quality, but not all vendors will have the pearls you want. The more information the consumer can provide the better vendors and suit your requests.

I do agree orient is present on all grades and types of pearls - it's most pronounced in large baroques as we can see from previous events.

AAA pearls come as hanks and finish up as strands after stringing, while Freshadama quality and Gem quality come from loose pearls,

So is it impossible to buy gem quality strands from any company? You'd only be able to get loose pearls?

Sure you can. That's where freshadama and the other gem lines come from. The whole idea of those lines is that gem/loose pearls are gathered, sorted, matched, drilled and then strung for necklaces/bracelets and set for rings/earrings/pendants.

Sorry, I should have been clearer. I meant is it impossible to buy unfinished gem quality strands from wholesale pearl suppliers. Pearl Paradise only sells finished Freshadama and loose pearls I think

In quantity, I don't know. But if you are wanting one or two unfinished strands so you could make your own designs with them, I would still try contacting one of the vendors and asking.

That's fantastic, I hadn't thought to contact the vendors on the forum. Thanks guys

Most of the vendors do wholesale I think. Retail is just a small but growing part of their business.

I know for a fact that Pearl Paradise will sell pearls by the hank, be they Freshadama, CFW, or Akoya. You can also purchase loose pearls from them that have not been drilled, have been half drilled, or drilled through. You just have to let them know what you want.
barbie

Back