What are your favourite clasps?

rokor

Community member
Hey everyone. I only recently started acquiring higher grade pearl necklaces, but before the pearls themselves I would always notice the clasp. I fell in love with the yellow gold filligree style clasp that Mikimoto used on their Sea Magic line and I’m now trying to hunt down a few for my collection and to tool with. I’m currently in talks to encrust one of these beautiful clasps in high quality vivid and fluorescent rubies(though admittedly I’d like to acquire another untouched one before altering my only one). This had me thinking that I must not be the only one who has a passion for certain clasps the same way we do for the pearls themselves, and I was curious what styles or types the majority of this forum prefers to either use on their strands or to just look at! There have been a number of over the top vintage clasps that have really caught my attention, and surely I’ve only seen a small percentage of what’s out there. I couldn't find a similar thread so I suppose this may be the first time it was asked, but what is your personal favourite clasp? Do you prefer something simple like a magnetic ball clasp or would you rather an intricate bejewelled safety clasp? Is there a clasp you’ve seen that you can’t get out of your mind? I’m very curious as to what these look like and I would love for the community to share their “dream” clasps or just any that they find interesting.

I’ll start with my own personal attainable favourite(and if anyone has one or more available or knows where I can acquire them, feel free to let me know!)
FE206C19-FE3C-4DB5-A8A6-69E166167AE6.jpeg

I have a collection of vintage clasps that at the moment are kept in my safe. They are gorgeous and very useable, but I have changed most my clasps for a pretty but not pricey clasp that makes me connect my pearls in any way I want to. It's a plated clasp from beadsfeeder on etsy. I haven't had any trouble with allergier or the clasp fading. Not a single one has broken. I have it in gold and white gold plated versions.
_20210209_142753.JPG
_20210209_143033.jpg
But my real treasures are these five
_20210209_143105.jpg
One single strand clasp with rubies and one akoya, two double strand clasps, one with citrine and seed pearls and the other one with amethyst and akoyas. Then I have two triple strand clasps, one with citrines and the other one with aquamarine and akoyas. Ones they were attatched to vintage akoyas. However I stopped using them. Mostly I blame tahitians and south seas...so I remade the vintage akoyas into tassels and waveropes. I use these much more. My three akoya tassels inside my rainbow strand from Pearlescence.
_20200805_165147.jpg
_20200805_165226.jpg
_20200805_165300.jpg
Waverope that I made with vintage akoyas and some blue green tahitians from cmw pearls
_20210102_140657.jpg
Wavestrand and waverope made with vintage akoyas and deep golden south sea pearls from Cees
_20201107_140511.jpg
_20201107_140619.jpg
I still look at those vintage clasps often. Some day I might use them again but for now the new clasps are more practical.

Hi rokor! So happy to see you joining PG! There’s a clasp thread somewhere, but I have no idea where. I only remember because this is about the only clasp I have to post. I’m not too much of a clasp person. I keep them simple with mostly orbit clasps so I can extend my strands to different lengths. This was a purchase from PP- a strand of blue Tahitians with a Monili orchid clasp. The center of the orchid holds a small abalone pearl.

B447556E-F7C9-4FC6-A9C4-550A5EDF1446.jpg

BDE025AF-50AF-41A8-9048-91809BC159FB.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you Jesskat. That is an amazing strand and clasp Jeg.

Charlotta, those vintage clasps are absolutely stunning! I found one of a similar style on ebay not too long ago but the seller wanted far more than I was willing to pay unfortunately. And Jeg, I’m a fan of the way that clasp works so well with the pearls themselves, almost like they're made for each other. Absolutely great contributions!

Thank you rokor. I have bought most of those clasp, with akoyas, on auctions but it was years ago.

jeg, how is that monili clasp in action? I’ve often wondered how it feels, how it sits?

LOVELY PIECES!!! My breath was taken away...oh!

This is my favorite everyday clasp. Safe, simple, easy to close & open...not expensive :)
Collar 2016-3 (2).jpg

Last edited:
Oh, I love clasps! I hate paying for a brand, so I haven't dived into Mikimoto yet, but my eye goes straight to the clasp as well. I'm still new to pearl collecting, but I have one vintage clasp and a vintage toggle that I love.
Screenshot_20210128-182637_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20210128-180952_eBay.jpg

Btw, you had me at "encrusted in rubies," lol! This is going to sound like I work for these people, but if you aren't dead set on getting earth mined rubies, I buy lab grown gemstones from www.geolite.com frequently. Essentially they're exactly the same as earth mined stones, they're just grown in a lab. Perfect clarity, really good cuts, and all at a much more appealing price tag... even my jeweler has been impressed with the stones I get from geolite. Okay, I told you it would sound like I work for them, ha ha!

Douglas I have been trying to find something like this online...would you mind telling me where I might be able to purchase this one?

I believe we used to get these from Elisa Silvermann...her company's name is...Sunshine Ltd, from Tel-Aviv.

Yay! Love clasps.

This was a clasp thread in 'Other Stuff' a few years ago.
Thread: Show us your clasps!
No idea how to link it here, it is on about page 5 of 'Other Stuff' and it would be lovely to somehow combine these threads...?

Our own member, Anna Tabakhova, in 2017 published a remarkable book, CLASPS - 4,000 years of fasteners in jewellery. With fascinating photos and detailed drawings, several versions are available on her website and HERE. I gifted it to myself a few years ago!

Anna is wonderfully creative with the interchangeable jewelry she designs using her cliclasp, too!

Look way down below for a thread she started about the release of her book ~

Apologies for going off on this subject! My favorite utilitarian clasps are the Orbit 2-pc, because they are so versatile and what I consider modern classic.

The vintage gemstone clasps are treasures as are the substantial gold clasps, from eras when karat gold was sort of reasonable. Really a treat to see your beauties!

Last edited:
Love my diamond and sapphire clasp from my great aunt.

Close up clasp.jpg

It is now being used as a pearl and gem rope along with the healthy vintage akoyas from the original strand (thanks Catherine Cardellini for the glamour shot)

Pearls CC2.jpg

Yay! Love clasps.

This was a clasp thread in 'Other Stuff' a few years ago.
Thread: Show us your clasps!
No idea how to link it here, it is on about page 5 of 'Other Stuff' and it would be lovely to somehow combine these threads...?

Great Idea! Lemme see if this can be done...never done it before!

Our own member, Anna Tabakhova, in 2017 published a remarkable book, CLASPS - 4,000 years of fasteners in jewellery. With fascinating photos and detailed drawings, several versions are available on her website [URL="https://www.editions-terracol.com/en/"]HERE[/URL]. I gifted it to myself a few years ago!

Anna is wonderfully creative with the interchangeable jewelry she designs using her cliclasp, too!

Look way down below for a thread she started about the release of her book ~

Apologies for going off on this subject! My favorite utilitarian clasps are the Orbit 2-pc, because they are so versatile and what I consider modern classic.

The vintage gemstone clasps are treasures as are the substantial gold clasps, from eras when karat gold was sort of reasonable. Really a treat to see your beauties!

Excellent suggestion Pattye! Did anyone ever write a review of the book here on the forum? I don't have it so I cannot write one :(

Anna's Pearl-Guide name is CLICLASP, so those interested in clasps can search for her here using that name. Also, the main thread about her book is located in the forum here under under Pearls>Books and Resources> and look for the thread titled: Pearls and Clasps, in "Clasps - 4,000 years of fasteners in Jewellry" which is the name of her book. There are 9 pages of clasp photos, media reviews and comments on the book, and also other clasp photos under her name CLICLASP from her earlier posts; fascinating and delightful. Our own PG friend Sheri J. had a major hand in helping with the French/English translations. I feel very lucky to have a copy of the book, although I never made it to one of the US presentations; WONDERFUL book.

I love a good clasp. It elevates a pearl strand into a pearl necklace. For just basic clasps, I love orbit clasps. They're comfortable, easy to work, and you can daisy chain necklaces together, or hang pendants off the clasp. Plus, they look like cool links, instead of clasps.

Back