What are these?

pred8er

Hello,

I was hoping to find out what the attached pictures are.

They look like oyster or abalone shells, one has a pearl in it perhaps?

The one with the stand has name "pestelli firenze" inscribed on the bottom of the stand. The one with a stand has a price sticker of $2700 USD and the name of the store is Neiman Marcus

IMG_1819.jpg
IMG_1820.jpg
IMG_1821.jpg
IMG_1822.jpg
IMG_1823.jpg
IMG_1824.jpg
IMG_1825.jpg

The one on the stand looks like a polished oyster shell with a blister pearl; the other one looks like a natural abalone shell.

The one on the stand looks like a polished oyster shell with a blister pearl; the other one looks like a natural abalone shell.

is there a reason why the one with the stand is so expensive (it is expensive to me)

Any ideas on the value of the regular abalone shell?

thank you very much for the reply

Neiman Marcus is an upscale store, so that partly explains the high price tag. Is the stand silver? I would hope so. Even so the price is out of sight.

Polished abalone shells are not expensive; on eBay they are listed for $10 with free shipping. In a store, $20 or less.

I like the one of the stand. Very interesting design. But that price is a bit too high for what it is. The abalone shell is pretty, too.

I like the one of the stand. Very interesting design. But that price is a bit too high for what it is. The abalone shell is pretty, too.

Hi All,

I emailed the company in italy who made the one with the stand (pestelli firenze).

"the object in question is a natural shell mounted in silver sterling"

I'm still shocked at that price tag though, must be due to the company that made it as they have pieces of art in some very high end places around the world.

Art is hugely subjective when it comes to pricing. The value is more in the piece as an art object, rather than the materials used. Something is "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay...

Art is hugely subjective when it comes to pricing. The value is more in the piece as an art object, rather than the materials used. Something is "worth" whatever someone is willing to pay...

Completely agree! A tube of paint or a box of pencils cost very little in materials...

Back