What am I missing? Why are people so interested in this piece?

It looks like an American freshwater pearl (some may believe it natural) that seems quite large for the type. And the whole piece isn't that bad either.

The settings is nice too, and hand made - at least it would certainly cost more to make than the unsuccessful bid.

IMO, no wonder the reserve wasn't met.

I am not taking into account here whether I like the thing or not... that has no bearing. Just a 2c thought.

Item location: Palm Beach, Canada? How do you get there? Through Moscow, Brazil?

knotty panda said:
Item location: Palm Beach, Canada? How do you get there? Through Moscow, Brazil?

That's funny! :p

Could it be that they have two viewing locations (shops?) or something ? :rolleyes:

Valeria101 said:
I am not taking into account here whether I like the thing or not... that has no bearing.

Hmmm...maybe that's the problem I'm having with seeing how people would be willing to bid so high for this item.

I'm with xeresana - while there is value in the pearl itself, I find myself totally turned off by the design.

PearlsOfJoy.com said:
I find myself totally turned off by the design.

Something like that... It looks as if a nice idea stretched the technical capabilities (or the motivation to use them!) of the maker to death. And the shape of the pearl wasn't really taken into account. :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe it's been relisted. I can't wait to see what people bid on it. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Hi all,

Tonight the relisted item has only been bid up to $26.00. It ends 8-18.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Well, I am thinking this piece does not seem to appeal to anyone. Relisted and only $26? I think it is time to pull it off and relist at another date.

Maybe if they say it was haunted by Lepruchans? lol Sorry, joke pertaining to another thread.

salem said:
Maybe if they say it was haunted by Leprechauns?

Hope that wasn't us! :eek:

I', wondering now if... #1. the piece might have used to be earrings &pendant once (the bale on the pearl seems rougher work than the leaves etc.), #2. the whole was rhodium plated over yellow gold accounting for patchy color and #3. the dark, color unbalanced picture doesn't have allot to do with the first impression one gets of it.

The pearl doesn't look half bad as dog tooth pearls go... or does it? I rather like the back (with the swirls in the nacre) for some reason. :rolleyes:

The Lepruchans? A post I added for weird things on ebay. ;) I find the necklace kind of interesting, but it kind of creeps me out too. Not so much the pearl itself, but it reminds me of my great-grandmother's jewelry, and she was into all sorts of weird things. My father's side of the family has always been a bit..err..eccentric?

:D :D :D :D I swear, the two of you can keep me in stitches all day! All we need is Boo to chime in! Well, bedtime for Bonzo. Big day tomorrow!

Well, just to really set the stage..my great-grandmother used to have seances in her house, my grandmother talked to ghosts, we had a curse put on the family a long time ago that actually worked, oh, and someone a long time ago was a professional grave robber.:eek:

That probably explains the curse.

I find a lot of it interesting now, but as a kid..*shudder* She had a lot of pearls set into funky settings that would probably fetch a fortune on ebay now. ;) But even today, I can't watch "The Shinning" because of too many memories of her bedroom.

Your family sounds fascinating!

If it makes you feel any better, The Shining still stands as the scariest book I've ever read. I still have the occasional nightmare about the bathtub. :eek:

Cheers,
Blaire

A possible answer to the question that started this thread: what could attract folks? ...

... well, perhaps the 'family resemblance' to something like THIS.

In you opinion, is that resemblance too little or too much for the orders of magnitude in price difference ? Can't quite make up my mind on that :eek:

NK23262.jpg

I like this one. Is that a forked tongue touching the pearl where the snake's head ends? The mixed metals also appeal to me. Is it yours, or did you just find the photo?

Blaire

GemGeek said:
I like this one. Is that a forked tongue touching the pearl where the snake's head ends? The mixed metals also appeal to me. Is it yours, or did you just find the photo?

Blaire

No... not mine by an arm length. The link to the source (Rau Jewelry) is under 'THIS' in the post above. That gree shade doesn't quite stand out to point to links in text :rolleyes:

Back