Visiting the Sea of Cortez Pearl Farm

Nicole

Hello everyone!

I know I haven't posted in a long time, but I have been popping in and lurking from time to time. It's been almost a year since my husband and I were married, and we're finally getting around to going on our honeymoon! We're going to Los Cabos in Mexico for a week, and, of course, I thought, "Ooh we should go visit the Sea of Cortez Pearl Farm!"

Anyway, we're leaving this Saturday morning, and we don't have any concrete plans about what we're doing or when, but visiting the pearl farm is at the top of my list. I just need to figure out transportation to get there. So, if everything works out, I will take pictures and post them here!

I'm so excited (and stressed out)!

Nicole

Hello Nicole,
Belated congrats. on your wedding and I hope you have a wonderful and relaxing honeymoon....
And yes please, lots of pics.
Try not to blow the holiday fund on those pearls....:D

Hi Nicole! Glad to see you back! Definitely contact Doug McLauren before you leave and tell him your thoughts. He'd be glad to have a PGer come see the place. His website has travel information. But I don't have his website address handy. Boo hoo! I'm sure someone will post it in a second or two. Be safe and have a wonderful trip!

Is it accurate to say that they are the only marine pearl farm in the western Hemisphere? Because I have been to another pearling operation in La paz.

Is it accurate to say that they are the only marine pearl farm in the western Hemisphere? Because I have been to another pearling operation in La paz.
western hemisphere? I find this appellation a little intriguing although it seems to be a commonly used term. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_Hemisphere

Anyways, technically speaking French Polynesia and the Cooks are in the western hemisphere... ;)

It would be truly awesome of there were two farms in the same area to visit! I think Sea of Cortez is set up for tours and such.

Mikeyy, what can you tell us about the La Paz farm?

Nicole, looking forward to your reports, have a wonderful honeymoon too!

Both websites are genuine, Effisk, TriGem is one of two US distributors, Carolyn Ehret is the other one. The 2nd website is just about Sea of Cortez.

It would be truly awesome of there were two farms in the same area to visit! I think Sea of Cortez is set up for tours and such.

Mikeyy, what can you tell us about the La Paz farm?

Nicole, looking forward to your reports, have a wonderful honeymoon too!

Both websites are genuine, Effisk, TriGem is one of two US distributors, Carolyn Ehret is the other one. The 2nd website is just about Sea of Cortez.
The La Paz operation was managed by Dr. Mario Monteforte. It's been at least 6 years ago since I was there. I have pictures that I will load sometime. They were growing spat and nucleating with home made nuclei. They were growing Pinctada Matzatlana. I supplied them some better product. They were a government operation looking to partner with private investors. I can't tell you what they are doing now because I haven't been in touch with him since then. They were also in the Scallop business.

I can't show you all the pictures because we were having more fun then we probably should have been having. :D

http://www.cibnor.mx/eplant1.php?pagID=personal/gen_cv&CIB_ID=00052

I also suppied nuclei to a Abolone farm in Cayucas California. Don't know what they are doing either as far as pearls go. I know they are growing plenty of Abalone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCDzekgYQUk

The "La Paz Pearl Farm" from CIBNOR is a minuscule operation, far from being a commercial operation. It is being run by Dr. Pedro Saucedo, a friend of mine. Mario has "retired" from his pearling duties. I don't believe they are producing any pearls presently (of any variety) but let me ask Pedro for an update.

The other operation in La Paz is run by Dr. Carlos C?ceres and mainly focuses on the production of Mabe Pearls using the same MOP we employ: Pteria sterna. Their Mabe production is stable but have yet to produce more than a dozen loose cultured pearls.

Hmmm...never gave it much thought to that title of "Only Marine Pearl Farm in the Western Hemisphere"....thought that all of Micro-Meli-Polynesia were still a part of Asia. Sorry for that :)
It is similar to what happens when some state that Mexico is part of South America, when we are -clearly- North Americans.

Anyway, I believe we have the only Marine Pearl farm in the American Continent...and quite open to Visitors. So come on in and join the fun!

:)

Douglas,

Your farm is at the top of my travel list! I hope I can make it happen in 2009!!

As un UPDATE on the previous information of the La Paz (Mabe) Pearl Farm ("Perlas del Cortez"...does the name sound sound similar to "Perlas del Mar de Cortez" TM ??? kinda rings there...).

I visited La Paz a couple of months ago (will Blog about this soon in my Cortez Pearl Blogsite (http://www.perlas.com.mx/blog/) in order to conduct a brief study on the Island of Esp?ritu Santo, the site of the 1893-1914 Mexican Pearl Farm and was able to sit down with all the "Pearling Players" in Mexico. The reason for this meeting was simple: we are pushing forward a new Law that will protect our native pearl oysters and will also help ensure a high quality pearl production (this law was produced by our group in 2004...but will probably become reality in 2010).

After the meeting we had time to look around so we visited the Mabe Pearl Farm...and there is not much to see...just sea... it's not on an easily accessible spot and it is submerged. But, here is a photo.
We also went to Wal-Mart La Paz and found their jewelry there, as well as in a small "curios shop" downtown. No cultured pearls to be seen...just Mabe. The colors produced in La Paz seem lack-luster when compared to our intense colors, but these geographical differences have been known for centuries: every spot in the Sea of Cortez had differently colored pearls. Here are some of their "Wal-Mart Mabe".

They have high hopes for their jewelry and are also making great strides producing mother-of-pearl soap and shampoo.

Attachments

• Punta Gaviota Granjas de At?n y Perlas en La Paz (6) [800x600].jpg
    Punta Gaviota Granjas de At?n y Perlas en La Paz (6) [800x600].jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 48
  • Joyer?a Plata Perlas del Cortez en Walmart La Paz (4) [800x600].jpg
    Joyer?a Plata Perlas del Cortez en Walmart La Paz (4) [800x600].jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 49
I'm happy to hear that steps are being taken to protect the native species. They certainly are a national treasure! ;)

Yes GemGeek!!! They are a Biological Treasure and Cultural Heritage in a small nacreous package.
From what I have been told (from others in the field) is that this Law will become the most advanced (from an ecological perspective) law in the "molluskan" world since it will protect the oysters, the environment and the quality of the pearl all at once.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed...we don't have any lobbyists nor any money to get the votes from Congress.

It's difficult enough to grow pearls with this crazy weather and innumerable variables. Protection would give everyone some peace of mind for the future. And wouldn't it be wonderful if other nations followed suit? ;)

Back