visit to Weitang & Zhuji

Richard

Weitang and Zhuji

Weitang and Zhuji are two main fresh water pearl markets in China. People who are in the pearl business all know these two wholesale markets. My wife and I visited these two markets and bought some pearls recently.

Weitang, a satellite town of Suzhou city, is located about 100km northwest of Shanghai. Suzhou city is also famous for its silk & textile industry and wedding gown business.

All the stands and shops in Weitang are in one big two story building. In the centre of the build are many pearl stands while the shops form a circle surrounding the stands. The fresh water pearl are from Tai Lake which is very near to this area and also from Zhuji. One man told us they came from Zhuji. He wanted to close his shop here and went back to Zhuji since his business is not good. But the market has many fancy pearl necklaces. Some people are also able to make the fancy necklace according the photo or the sample. This can be regarded as OEM.

Zhuji, a city of Zhejiang province is located about 350km southwest of Shanghai. The Zhuji pearl market is not located in Zhuji city, but in one of its towns called Shanxiahu, meaning Lake Under the Mountain. Shanxiahu is located about 50km northeast of Zhuji city.

My wife and I took the train to go to Zhuji from Shanghai and bus from Zhuji city to Shanxiahu. After half day travelling, we arrived at the biggest fresh water pearl market in China, maybe in the whole world. It seems Shanxiahu is not the proper name. There are many pearl ponds here, but the mountain is far away.

Being worthy of its fame, Shanxiahu is really a huge pearl town. There are several big pearl factories along the main road of the town. Almost all the 1st stories of the residential buildings in the town are used as the pearl shops or mills. Many houses are used both for pearl business and living. We have never seen so many pearls before. The pearls are kept in woven bags, at least 50kg one bag. But only 10% of them can be used for the jewelry purpose.

The main market in the center of the town is a two story building which is smilar to Weitang market, but much older. It?s interesting that both Shanxiahu and Weitang have new large market buildings being constructed at this moment. It seems both of the two places are trying to make this business bigger.

We also bought some pearls in center market. There are not many fancy pearl necklaces in this market. Fifteen strings of the same pearls are tied together. Most sellers are the local pearl farmers. They have no very strict specification and price the pearl according their experience and market situation. They call the good pearl as 4 sides shining or 2 sides shining, instead of AAA or AA.

We brought some clasps with us. The pearl sellers make the necklace for us with the pearls we bought. Their skills to make the knots between the pearls are amazing. It takes less than 5 minites for them to make one pearl necklace.

My wife and I have one small garment shop in Shanghai. We also sell some pearls. We hope that we can find some customers overseas. We can help you to purchase quality pearls at inexpensive price. We can also make the pearl items according to photoes sent. We are honest, responsible and hard working. You can do the business with us on very small order at the beginning. Hope our work will help you save the travelling time and cost.

Richard Guo

Hi Richard.

That's amazing story! Thank you for sharing the information. I'm thinking I'm interested in traveling to the pearl market in China. It's great if I can see you in Shanghai too. Here is my email: soonghangwa@gmail.com If you have any suggestion, please don't hesitate to let me know. Cheers!!

Back