Vintage Pearls with Opal Clasp

boaconrp

I recently purchased a pearl necklace with an opal clasp (14k) marked with a curvise "H".
I don't know a lot about pearls but was looking to get a strand second hand and I couldn't pass on this beautiful, unique clasp.
I have a few questions I was hoping you could help with:
Any idea on the type of pearl? (they are 6 mm)
What about the luster? Obviously they are not the best pearls ever but they seemed pretty nice to my untrained eye.
Does anyone know about the clasp? I have seen some other posts on-line about this trademark but haven't seen a definitive answer on the maker.

Thanks for your time!

Attachments

• 20171208_085323.jpg
    20171208_085323.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 30
  • 20171208_085354.jpg
    20171208_085354.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 40
Welcome to Pearl Guide!

That is a really pretty clasp! Your pearls are likely cultured akoya pearls.

Pearls are best judged against a white background. Could you take a few more photos, including a few closeups of the pearls, especially any blemishes?

New pictures

New pictures

Thanks for the quick response! I took pictures of a few blemishes that were more obvious. 20171208_110152.jpg20171208_110041.jpg20171208_110103.jpg20171208_110132.jpg

Thank you for your input

Attachments

• 20171208_110152.jpg
    20171208_110152.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20171208_110041.jpg
    20171208_110041.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 28
  • 20171208_110103.jpg
    20171208_110103.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 30
  • 20171208_110132.jpg
    20171208_110132.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:
Oooohhh I think that clasp is still beautiful even if it isn't real.

Honora Pearls used to sell akoyas, so if this is a vintage strand, they could be akoya pearls. Honora only sells freshwater pearls now, and sometimes South Sea pearls, but their clasps are on the less expensive side.

Can you give us several better views of the top of the clasp? I cannot tell from the photos if they are real opals or glass, either. If you move the clasp around, does the play of color shift? Tip the clasp in different directions, and rotate it, so we can see if the gems might be opals or not. It is a pretty clasp, either way, and they are real pearls and the clasp is 14K gold, so it's still a very nice necklace.

Honora Pearls used to sell akoyas, so if this is a vintage strand, they could be akoya pearls. Honora only sells freshwater pearls now, and sometimes South Sea pearls, but their clasps are on the less expensive side.

Can you give us several better views of the top of the clasp? I cannot tell from the photos if they are real opals or glass, either. If you move the clasp around, does the play of color shift? Tip the clasp in different directions, and rotate it, so we can see if the gems might be opals or not. It is a pretty clasp, either way, and they are real pearls and the clasp is 14K gold, so it's still a very nice necklace.

I agree with BWeaves: if iridescences are changing by differents angles, maybe opals are true, but looking at the light coming through the edge, I have a doubt. Anyway, opaline glass was an esteemed material to make old jewels: look at how marvellous pieces have been made by Lalique and Tiffany with.

Last edited:
I also think they are opals after those pictures, too. I have tons that look like this and have very similar play of color.

I think they look like real opals. I think the majority of the price of the necklace is in the clasp.

The knots look tight and clean, but the pearls look a little dirty. Give them a gentle wash in filtered water and plain soap. Put a washcloth in the bottom of the sink so you don't bang them around. Rinse in clean water. Roll them in a clean towel and leave them. When the towel is dry, the silk they are strung on should be dry, too. If you try to hang them before they are fully dry, the thread might stretch. I think they will look great with a gentle cleaning.

The pearls will look better after a bath!

Regarding washing them, I suggest using bottled or filtered water to avoid chlorine and the hard water minerals that might interact with the soap to make a very hard-to-remove scum.

Our well water is hard -- we can't use soap, not even to wash hands. We can only use detergent-based cleansers.

I agree that most of the value is in the clasp, but I think they are akoyas.

Also something to think about..because of the age guessed these are likely Australian opals - I can't 100% tell from the pictures but I wouldn't leave them soaking in water at all while cleaning the pearls since that could damage a doublet or triplet opal. If they're all solid opal, soaking in water won't hurt but just in case ;)

Also something to think about..because of the age guessed these are likely Australian opals - I can't 100% tell from the pictures but I wouldn't leave them soaking in water at all while cleaning the pearls since that could damage a doublet or triplet opal. If they're all solid opal, soaking in water won't hurt but just in case ;)

Interesting point of view: theorically, doublet or triplet have not transparent back, it's difficult to see that on photos, but I think that if they are worked as this, they would have more homogeneous irisdescent effect, but they look different among them.

Last edited:
Back