Turning a pin into a pendant?

CharmedOne

Has anybody ever turned a pin into a pendant without keeping the pin? I have seen this piece you can put on the pin that has a bail but the pin sticks out a bit and I'm worried it will poke me. Any ideas? Thanks ~d

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 30
A jeweler could easily remove the entire pin back as well so it wouldn't be an issue.......

Thanks! I guess finding a jeweler is my only choice. The jeweler around here closed down last year. There is one kinda close but they are very expensive and they take 3 weeks to a month. They can charge crazy prices since they are the only jeweler around. Oh well.. What can you do. I guess I can get the jeweler to shorten it while they are at ;)

Pattye it is 14K. I need to learn to solder :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 45
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 42
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 31
How about trying it as it is...and putting one of those tiny rubber backs you get on cheap earrings over the sharp point of the pin? It's a lovely piece, I'm quite envious...the contrast between curves and sharp lines is sooo pleasing! Have you tried wearing it as a brooch...you might find that you'd wear it more often than you think...as an extra 'button' or to wear a top in a different way?

Yah, it is pretty! I love the "whatchamacallit" around the pearls, and how it's all pierced (I want to say gallery but I don't think that's correct). Plus it looks like a dollar sign, which is way rad, lol.

Thank you all so much :) I thought about wearing it as a pin but I have lost 2 or 3 to the washer wasteland because I never remember to take them off :( When I look at this one close up close, it looks like the pearl and diamond part rose gold) was made into a pin and soldered on top of the bar (yellow gold). I tried to clean the diamonds and the ones in the middle look great but the solder dust is hard to reach on the smaller ones near the pearls. This will take a couple cleaning to get it all out. But it's coming along. I wanted to make it into a ring but I thought I would hit it and break off one of the pearls.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 33
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 32
Look for a bench jeweler in your area. The pinback is easily removed and you may even be able to recycle the gold from the pin it's self for a hidden bale. Jewelers put the pin upside down in heat sink so the pearls don't get over heated during the work with the torch. I have had many things worked on with the pearls in place.

Thank you LFS, I only found one kinda close. I will have to ask around and see if someone could refer me to one. Sorry it took a while to respond. My little one brought home the flu. You gotta love the little ones ;)

Last edited:
Back