true blue

Josh

This is a semi-baroque, standing nice end up. There was talk about the two most rare colors red and blue. Reds have their thread, here it is for the blues. Doug, I know you're out there.
trueblue.jpg

Wow! I can surely see what makes this pearl blue, alright... :cool:

What makes it 'semi-baroque' ? In the picture it looks round to me.

Last edited by a moderator:
:eek: Darn it, Josh - you just about made me faint into my Cheerios! Be still my heart - I am consumed with a most unwholesome lust....

OOOOOOooooooo! What a pretty color. I would love to that baby set into something special. Especially around my neck, but anyone elses might be good too. At least that way I can still appreciate a picture.:eek:

Josh, you'll have to count me into the unwholesome lust category too! What an unusual color. You have a willing audience ready to appreciate any and all of your pearls.

It might be cool to show a few of the worst pearls. That's what people don't get to see. Granted, there were very few funky pearls in the Paspaley batch, but they were fascinating!

funky pearl.jpg

Cheers,
Blaire

beautiful color - I've always loved the blues, now if only you can find a way to produce a large amount of them!

Oh yes Josh!
Just taking a quick peek all around to see what is happening before I "sign-off" for some months.

True Blue...the Sky's the Limit! as some say. I would say: the Ocean is the Limit, for only the Oceans can give forth such splendorous gifts.

Enjoy these incredible True Blues straight from the waters of the Sea of Cortez.

Attachments

• perla azul-verde-morada.JPG
    perla azul-verde-morada.JPG
    24.1 KB · Views: 38
And the last Blues...with this post I am officially off-duty until next summer.
The last pearl of this batch of photos was an incredible 12mm round Gem quality pearl from this year's harvest. It was acquired by Mexican designer Carlos Cabral...it has been set and will be competing against other designs this very same week in the city of Monterrey. The contest is the National Silver Jewelry Design Contest organized by the World's largest producer of Silver: the Mexican Company "Pe?oles".
I hope he wins this year again!

G'day to all!!

Attachments

• PMC-2005 Azul reflectante.jpg
    PMC-2005 Azul reflectante.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 48
  • True Blue.JPG
    True Blue.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 39
  • True Blue 2.JPG
    True Blue 2.JPG
    59 KB · Views: 38
  • 12mm Round Blue Cortez Gem Quality 2007 Harvest [%P].JPG
    12mm Round Blue Cortez Gem Quality 2007 Harvest [%P].JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 38
Douglas,

That 12mm looks almost electric! Muy bueno!! We'll be sorry to see you go for now, have a wonderful winter!!

Douglas, we'll miss you!!! Especially now that we've seen you with your evil pearl grin!;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Josh said:
Blaire, I suggest you contact Robert Wan for pictures of second rate pearls.;)

I almost choked, I laughed so hard. We only saw Robert's finished pearls and jewelry, so no such luck on seeing the rejects. No one wanted to show us the bad stuff. Pasapely took the few "bad" ones away because I was taking pictures of them.

If you have something unusual, though, please keep posting photos. I can never get enough!;)

Cheers,
Blaire

Josh said:
Boo, Cheerios have holes in them so you don't choke when you faint into a bowl of them after viewing a post of a blue pearl.:D

Ah, but the real threat isn't the Cheerios themselves - the true danger lies in the possibility of drowning in the milk.... Still, as reckless as it was for you to post that picture, I don't regret having viewed it - some things are worth the risk :p

Douglas, we will indeed miss you!!! Thank you so much for your pictures and your posts.

Yes, Josh, breathtaking pearls can cause breakfast carnage.:eek:

Did you see Boo's pearl sandals? She's the current style leader around here.;)

I second Ashley, that 12mm does look electric!! Simply fabulous. We will be anxiously awaiting your return, and hopefully you can sneak away a couple times just to stay in touch. :)

One good thing about you taking off for the winter, we don't have to worry about losing Boo to any Cheerio related incident. :p Maybe you should just eat them dry? lol

GemGeek said:
Josh, you'll have to count me into the unwholesome lust category too! What an unusual color. You have a willing audience ready to appreciate any and all of your pearls.

It might be cool to show a few of the worst pearls. That's what people don't get to see. Granted, there were very few funky pearls in the Paspaley batch, but they were fascinating!

View attachment 1955

Cheers,
Blaire

Hi Blaire,
I was just wondering where that photo was taken.. Was that actually a Paspaley pearl... ?? Eeeek..

Drea

drea said:
Was that actually a Paspaley pearl...

Well, it didn't make the quality cut at Paspaley, did it ... so it isn't. Sure their crop must have good bad and ugly as anywhere else. The selection is what makes pearls from Paspaley farm waters be 'Paspeley Pearls' ;) Maybe no other ever match their best, maybe they have less rejects... but it is still farming with expected bad apples in the crop.

These bad pearls make pretty good 'exhibits' methinks - that one shows thick nacre and the large cut exposes the layers. Without such 'opportunities' one would have to cut a perfect pearl open and look inside :eek: Wonder what happened there :rolleyes:

I wonder if this isn't the perfect example for the 'nacre separation' phenomenon discussed by a G&G article a while back...:cool:

Blue is rare? Intense blue? I thought platinum blue was a fairly common color in South Seas pearls. Did I dream that up? I thought I had seen that posted here before but, I can't find it anywhere. Or maybe it just commands less price than a white or a golden? Was that it?

drea said:
Hi Blaire,
I was just wondering where that photo was taken.. Was that actually a Paspaley pearl... ?? Eeeek..

Drea

We were on one of their pearling vessels, the Paspaley III. There was a conference table filled with pearls from their morning's harvest and only a tiny percentage were rejects. Valeria is right, there will always be a few bad apples. With Paspaley, they are soooo good at it, that it was hard to find any rejects.

I thought the pearl-within-a-pearl was fascinating. That's the way it came out of the oyster -- the ruffled edge reminds me of a flower.:)

Back