Travelling with Pearls

Lagoon Island Pearls

I have a few questions about travelling abroad, then returning with pearls.

Has anyone attending trade shows etc., run into problems with customs when returning home with any amount of unsold or demonstrational pearls?

What measures are appropriate for adequately claiming these were pre-owned before travelling?

I've not done it but I'm sure that there is a clear process...I've seen details somewehere so I suggest you check the Canadian government customs website....or maybe the trade show organisers..
Don't forget you are also transporting pearls to be sold or demonstrated INTO another country so you need to get that sorted as well
There will be paperwork, beyond a doubt!

Hi Dave,

In Aus we have a temporary exit requirement - paperwork to exit the country so that on re-entry, no additional taxes or duty is payable... It basically declares the goods were per-owned. Of course it also tells your government that you are earning income overseas.. I am doing it at the moment! Check your government's customs/quarantine website.

and. of course, of you sell loads I suspect you will be liable for sales or income tax in the trade show host country?
Again, check both government's websites plus the trade show itself may have info

Thank you for the replies.

I'll check with Canada Customs by phone, because the web site only applies to basic exemptions. Obtaining an import license is a difficult process that does not apply to me, but could be thought to apply by the wrong custom's agent. A statutory declaration before travelling seems a lot easier.

I have pearls to be sent out for drilling and fashioning. It's probably a good idea to individually package pieces, because I envision pearls rolling scattered all over the floor by a clumsy or overzealous customs agent.

As far as I know there is a specific international convention for shows called ATA carnet, specifically made for crossing borders with material for shows that can be sold or not and easier that export / import processes.
Chambers of commerce are in charge with that mission,
Check on google ATA carnet in your country. Here is "only" the wikipedia link,
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATA_Carnet

good luck

Don't get involved with chambers of commerce. total waste of money. They exist solely to continue existing.

Ah Wendy, I haven't been reading the fora often enough.... I miss your cynicism! xx

And my wishes for a speedy recovery!

Back