TPO Mother's Day sale!!

Sorry -finding more things to respond to in this thread!

Personally I don't have a problem with most of the moderators on the site being vendors... the money to run the site has to come from somewhere, and personally I am immensely grateful for the forum, the information, and the marketing of the pearl industry in general that the forum provides! And of course, the pearly friends. For JS and others (KC) to put in the time and effort warrants moderator status. There are a few other moderators??

My own 2c is that I have always viewed Callire's sale threads with a bit of a wry smile on my face, remembering when I was young(er) and (more) excitable. I find her adorable. I think she is just very enthused and wants to share that enthusiasm. They are sort of a preemptive "show us your pearls" thread, that gets started before the pearls have a chance to begin their journey to the lucky recipients! My only (minor) beef with the threads is that I generally end up missing a lot of the "good" stuff while I am at work and I get mildly jealous of those who did not.

Mikeyy, I can totally see where you are coming from, I just wanted to say that I think Callire has "pure" motives in the postings.

Okay, I am pretty sure I have exceeded my allotment of parentheses and quotation marks, so I'll just move along now.

I think there is definitely a place for it here. There are members who really enjoy those sorts of threads, others who don't. That is why there are so many different forums on this forum. I don't think it is fair for any one member to say what another non-vendor member is doing is wrong.

There are different groups and types of people here:

1. Vendors - they are either here to be part of the community, learn and engage, or simply sell. The latter are very easy to spot.

2. Pearl Enthusiasts - they are here to learn about pearls, talk about pearls, look at pearls, etc.

3. Pearl Purists (as I refer to them) - those that are more interested in the way things work, how pearls grow, what is happening in the industry, etc.

3. Lurkers - they are here for any reason under the sun. They may only visit once, and often they are looking for a specific piece of information. This represents the huge majority of visitors to this site.

Often, the wants and motives of #3 may not mesh with #2, or even #1. But that is what a community is all about. #2 may get bored with #3. Some members may be a combination of 1, 2 and 3. There are different personalities and each should be respected.

Regarding the blatant advertising by a vendor, this is wrong. And in my opinion (and the opinion of Paul Gillin, Seth Godin and many others) it hurts the vendor much more than it helps - because it really doesn't help at all - Social Media 101.

I have to say that I'm a combination of 2 and 3 in varying degrees at different points in time. I stepped in to comment about a thread about someone who thought they had been scammed by a vendor which I thought was inappropriate as from the timeline of events was it was clear that the order was made just before a weekend, and the buyer jumped to that conclusion just because a follow-up phone call was not placed on Mon. Because the special request for presentation was in progress. Now, I have never bought from that particular vendor, and I'm sure the vendor did not need defending, but a simple phone call would have solved the problem without accusing someone running an honest business (and who also owns the forum) of fraud. That was neither a legitimate complaint nor was it appropriate. Plain and simple. That matter is getting resolved with a good outcome and upcoming nuptials in a few days, so hopefully all will be well.

I like the "what did you buy at the latest sale" threads. I LOVE the "look what was in the latest harvest" threads and the "we are starting a new business partnership with xyz and look at this" threads. I hope these types of threads won't be discontinued.

What I wish I could see more of is new vendor products offered in blog format. Interior designers are great at this. Anytime they have a new shipment of antiques, lighting, fabric lines, etc. it goes into their blogs and all their blog subscibers see it. To me, Google Reader is the best thing since cable instead of dial-up. (I know there are some newer ones that preserve the blog formatting, honestly I've just been too lazy to check them out.) Currently Pearl Paradise's blog has 6 subscibers in Google Reader. It is now mostly Q & A content, but I'd love to see new product posted there. Same for other vendors here. E-mails are great for sales, but I like to see what's new immediately.

Wow, I started to post about an hour ago, but got timed out because of the computer I was on and the amount of thought that went into it. It looks like things have mellowed out a little since then.
I would say I am a 2 who is also a 1 and a bit of a 3. I love it here because I have learned so much, and feel that I have made real friends and am a part of a real community. When I post pics it is because I want input from people that really know and because I am usually very excited about something new, whether it be pearls, a skill, an idea, whatever. I also have seen so many "put up pictures" posts, that I feel the need to oblige. Let's face it, we love our stuff and we want to share! I've never really thought about putting pics up as advertising, but maybe I'll start thinking twice before I post them. Does this mean I don't want to sell my things? No, of course that's nice, and the few times I've had a PGer buy something have made me very proud because I consider this crowd the cream. However, I'd take my website off my profile before I stopped sharing.
I don't mind the sales posts, and have participated in posting and buying (sometimes too much). I almost PM'd Callire to see why she hadn't alerted folks to the latest sale. Sometimes that's how I find out and appreciate having the heads up. It was fun waiting for the email message this winter, although I have to be careful during the "Okie" rush. I do agree with Mikeyy that it seems like there has been a lot of posting about PP and PO lately, but people get going on certain threads, and then something else comes up. It also seems like posting has been down in general.
I will say, however, that I sometimes feel that people miss the boat on finding what they want by not looking on some of the great websites that are maintained by some of the smaller vendors. When I read that people are waiting for something very specific to go on sale at PP or PO, and I know that there are several of us that can provide that item at very good prices, I do wonder why. I like the blog idea, and actually just asked Admin if there was a way to list websites because I lose track of who has them, and when I am looking I want to look everywhere. This week I was looking for a new webhost, and wanted to peruse Guide websites, but gave up because there's no "directory."
In any case, times are stressful right now, and I always look to PG for encouragement, friendship, knowledge and a few laughs (thank u Mikeyy). When I hit a thread or post that doesn't interest me, or that annoys me, I just go to a different one. I agree with Jeremy, a community is made up of very diverse individuals and that's the beauty of it.
So that's my tuppence. I don't want to walk on eggshells here or anywhere else. I'm going to take a deep breath, wish you, my friends, a happy weekend and go fondle a beautiful pearl!!
Peace,

Last edited:
One more comment about purchasing from the PG vendors, big and small. My pearls mean much more to me when I can associate them with the various friends I have here. Some of you may not even realize that I have purchased from you - although I do get a kick when folks make the connection. Those I haven't purchased from, rest assured that there is a bookmark with your name on it in my "wish list" folder, awaiting only the happy occurrence of extra spending money. I honestly can't think of a single regular poster here whose site I haven't perused. And when I do make those purchases, they aren't FWs and Tahitians, they are Pattye's pearls and Sheryl's pearls and they are extra special because they make me think of the wonderful folks here and what a great community this is (and trust me, I have seen many good online communities fall apart over the years - it takes a lot of careful tending to keep them healthy). I very much appreciate being able to link to the various websites folks have (although my husband misses me and would like me to venture out of my study every now and then).

There are different groups and types of people here:
3. Pearl Purists (as I refer to them) - those that are more interested in the way things work, how pearls grow, what is happening in the industry, etc.

Must admit to the above, dreading those below...

Often, the wants and motives of #3 may not mesh with #2, or even #1. ... #2 may get bored with #3. ...

Oh Valeria, you made me laugh. Whilst reading Jeremy's post, I had you as my firm "number 3"... always interesting, and always intelligent, though!

okay, does this boil down to.... maybe some regular forumites need to remember that there are other sellers besides....(without any disrespect to Pearl Paradise etc)

I just don't have sales. (well, I do have sales, obviously, but I do not have regular episodes of price reduction. Just not my business thing).

Apart from that I have just this week started a blog on my website (which also shows new stuff as it is uploaded on the front page for those who like to see new stuff) (oh dear that is a plug for my website...ummmmm)

Personally, I do not like in-your-face hard sell, I find that distasteful.

If someone tries to hard sell something to me, I would walk away.

About 10y ago, I tried making jewellery with the aim to sell them at craft shows, and was accepted as a seller by a few.

I started with having a lunch time sale at work to test the water. Although I sold a few items, I did not enjoy the experience :(

I was so confident that my goods would sell as my designs were the height of sophistication, and quality of raw materials and workmanship second to none etc... :p :p :p, I was disappointed I did not sell more, and got even more disappointed when I overheard people saying they were not keen on the designs :rolleyes:

So I packed it in, gave up, and gave quite a bit of my goods to the charity shop, and they sat in their windows for a couple of months :rolleyes:

I guess I am not good at selling, and do not have the mentality to be a good seller.

Nowadays, I only make things for myself, friends and family.

When I go to craft fairs etc., I am wary of my comments about the items for sale, as I appreciate the amount of hard work, time and efforts they have spent in creating their labours of love, and the need for them to feel appreciated. If they are not to my tastes, I would move on, and say thank you for letting me browse :)

I do the same on here. If I like a piece I would say so, if I don't I would not comment, unless someone is actively asking for opinions.

BTW, IMHO, peeps who ask for opinions should not get upset and all defensive if they receive negative and unfavourable comments - don't ask for opinions if you are not prepared to accept both good and bad responses!

Oooo, and I am a pearl enthusiast as in #2, a consumer, and not a bookworm, so the techno stuff goes over my head :p

As for vendors, I have made pearl purchases from a number of vendors, some I would and have returned for more, some were just one offs as either the buying experience or the goods were not as good as expected.

Not every thread on this forum is to my taste, just like any other forums. If I don't like the subject matter, I don't read them, it's my choice.

Long live the passionate people on PG, even if it does get rather too heated for my liking from time to time! :D

DK :)

Ah! Its good to see so many smiling faces this morning. Glad nobody is angry. And it seems to have been a cathartic thread after all. Thanks for the input and PM's. Long live the forum!

I'm a 4. I was forced in to this from birth.

What I like about callire's threads is that even if they are technically about a sale somewhere, they do really get people talking --- from which tangents grow that are often just as interesting as the original topic. The tangents are often very educational just in themselves. (Like, for example, this tangent in this thread right here.)

I find nothing wrong with customers discussing things they've purchased or are thinking of purchasing. I also see nothing wrong with vendors discussing the ins and outs of pearls with those who may or may not be customers. That's very educational, and builds not only knowledge, but trust. The only thing I do find distasteful (to follow along in dkan's phrasing), is when vendors go out of their way to 'schmooze' and 'play' with potential customers in the blatant hope of boosting sales. It's a fine line that I'm talking about, and I think many of the vendors, at least when posting **here**, walk that line *very* well. Here, I usually see vendors talking with customers/potential customers without actually schmoozing for sales. That's why these threads, here, don't bother me.

(Though if I were to be completely honest, I should add that I have seen it happening at a different board that's been linked to from here, and yikes, I can't tell you how smarmy it feels to witness. That especially will, and indeed already has, driven me away as a customer. It's one thing when customers chat. It's another thing when vendors discuss facts and details and such, especially regarding pearls. But it's an entirely different thing when those vendors pretend to play with the customers in a schmoozy way, clearly in an effort to boost sales. As if they're thinking, "Oooh, I bet I can get these ladies to buy some pearls, if I just schmooze along like a used car salesman." Not to mention it being particularly disrespectful when it's being done on another company's board. And I'll emphasize again, I don't see anyone doing it **here**, but I recently got a good look at exactly such an occurence, ironically by following an innocent link posted here, and boy did it turn my stomach.)

*This* board, I like very much, and I think the vendors post very respectfully here. The two vendors that I've purchased from most recently, are vendors who 1) had something I wanted, *and* 2) had a reputation, from here, as honest sellers. Those two things were both necessary to get me in the door as a customer, and there are vendors here that I *would* trust, but haven't purchased from yet only because I haven't found anything I was specifically looking for at their sites yet. But when i do, I will have no hesitation. As a sidenote, there's also a 'knotter' here who I'm considering sending something to in order to have it knotted. Again, because I've learned of the person's reputation for honesty from this board.

I apologize that this post sounds so scattered. I'm sitting here with c i p r o (why in the world won't it let me type that antibiotic's name?) in my ear for an ear infection, and the world's been off-center for days. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the vendors here have been shown to be very honest, and have spoken to the customers and other readers in a very respectful way. I also think that discussion among customers is good, not the least of all for the tangents such lively discussion also generates.

Last edited:
I apologize that this post sounds so scattered. I'm sitting here with c i p r o (why in the world won't it let me type that antibiotic's name?) in my ear for an ear infection, and the world's been off-center for days. But I guess what I'm trying to say is that most of the vendors here have been shown to be very honest, and have spoken to the customers and other readers in a very respectful way. I also think that discussion among customers is good, not the least of all for the tangents such lively discussion also generates.

It's funny you mention not being able to type in the antibiotic name in the same thread I mentioned the job of the moderators and how it has gotten easier!

One of the things we've been able to do is block certain words that show up in most spam attacks. This does not eliminate them all, of course, but it has kept a lot of stuff off the forum that we would rather not see. Unfortunately this means that it is difficult to innocently discuss things that are 'flag' words. The spam attacks are all carried out by automated bots that are constantly trying to get around our blocks and filters (the best filter is Caitlin, by the way). But we've been able to very nearly eliminate them completely.

If this swine flu gets a hold you might need to allow antibiotics to get through (watch for the forum developing a cough)

Must admit to the above, dreading those below...

Anna:
Your highly educated opinion is very valuable and much appreciated. :) Speaking as one who occasionally fears boring the purists :confused:(I am one in some ways, but so much more the eager pearl lover), you keep me in line.
You just go on keeping the conversation in line. It's all about the pearls!!

jshepherd wrote:
>It's funny you mention not being able to type in the antibiotic name in the same thread I mentioned the job of the moderators and how it has gotten easier!

:) I was just surprised, that's all. I sat here trying to figure out how that antibiotic name could be misconstrued into a swear-word. I hadn't thought about spamming issues, which yes, I could see when it comes to the names of medications. Especially a medication that was such a big deal back when the anth-rax attacks were happening. (Hyphened it just in case. Heh. ;) )

By the way, Jeremy, while I have your ear I did want to say something else. The 'distasteful' incident I mentioned, concerning a salesman on another board schmoozing embarrassingly heavily in an effort to increase sales ... I wanted to genuinely compliment you for remaining above all that. It's a board that I believe you are aware of (based on the links I've followed), but I am sincerely impressed to say that you've done *nothing* at all like the other salesman. It's at a place where you could, if you wanted to, but the point is that you **haven't**, and that impresses *me* from the customer-side of things. It's left a very bad taste in my mouth regarding the other company, and I find that sad. My compliment to you is very sincere. :)

Last edited:
Back