Tin cup pearls better than a full strand?

Another thought on price would be to make SS and lovely pearls like those from the loot lot (such a funny word combination!) options available as an alternative to either FW, keishi, and AA+ baroque Tahitians... Just thinking out loud, or forum-loud. :) I'm being self-serving because I think a loot necklace would be AWESOME.

p

p

Heidi,
I agree. Those loot pearls are lustrous. I'd love to have a tin cup with those pearls. What about choice of gold color? Personally, I think yellow gold do bring out the tone of the intense-colored Tahitian.

Is it more costly to have the caps on both ends of the pearls? Those look really nice on Boo's necklace!

Jeremy, do we get to see more pictures? I am curious about the "other" styles. Will the Pelosi style be baroque pearls or round pearls?

Ashley, to cut cost down you can offer two styles: one with pearls completely on the gold chain and one with seven pearls? Just a thought.

Last edited:
Hi Cathy -
I am a yellow gold person, typically, so this is a pretty biased answer. I love what it does for most gemstones and pearls. I think you're right that it helps to bring out the color on the intense ones. As an example, I saw Pattye in a necklace of silvery semi baroque Tahitians from Care Ehret. Her typical 22-ish k spacers and clasp really set off the cool tones of those pearls. Alternatively, I have a really pretty peacock/green overtoned Tahitian baroque drop in yellow gold and the colors just sing out against that metal.

Your point about doing a necklace with fewer pearls is also a good one. I know that, for myself, I wear scarves, jackets and shawls so often that only about 1/2 of any necklace is ever visible. I'd much rather pay for fewer pearls that are visible than more that are under my clothes. But I might be funny that way. ;-)

On the Pelosi style - I can't recall who posted their necklace with white and gold SS pearls recently, but it is beautiful; I can imagine that same kind of interplay of cool and warm tones. Even using some of the mixed keishis I have seen (white with tinges of gold) would be a really gorgeous direction for a necklace and maybe not as expensive in the end.

p

p

Hi Heidi,
Great minds think alike!:)

I would personally have less pearls (7) that are of higher quality rather than 12 pearls of lesser quality or mixed with dye FW on gold chain. It just depends on whether your wardrobe has more tops/dresses that have collar or not. A lot of designs I've seen sold in Hawaii are set in yellow gold and they look gorgeous. There is a necklace I saw that has Tahitian pearls with 3 diamond cut yellow gold spacer beads alternating throughout the necklace; and it's so beautiful. Here is the bracelet picture. I don't have a picture of the necklace to post here. But I have the magazine with the model wearing the necklace with white button-down shirt.

As for the Pelosi tin cup style, I'd prefer the circle pearls with bands rather than perfect round. First reason is to keep cost down. Second reason is due to the look. It's organic, and has the "cannot-be-imitated" look. To me, this is much more unique than so many Pelosi necklaces made of round pearls.

Sorry for the digression. :D

Attachments

• 006-09285.jpg
    006-09285.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
I LOVE that, Jeremy!

As a lot of other people have said, sometimes a full strand feels too dressy for a more casual workplace. (I teach college English at a large public university.)

I think especially in the summer months, a "tin cup" style provides an appropriately "light" look.

I have a yellow gold version with very small (~4mm) pearls that my DH got me early in our marriage, when the style was first popular. It was inexpensive ($150??), and I've certainly gotten his money's worth from it!

I would LOVE to see the Pelosi version of this, Jeremy!

--Robin C.

More plus points - I've always thought that large good quality tin cups (more than 11-12mm) is bumped up from the casual into the dressier category and as everyone said earlier in the thread, is more affordable than a full strand.

That is really nice looking. I love a full strand, but looking here the space and metal really does highlight the color and character of the individual pearls. Such a lovely and wearable style. Pretty cool!

Jeremy, That is a beautiful piece... sadly my budget will probably only reach to baroque/off round tahitian necklace. I'm assuming the under $500 would not apply to perfect round tahitians!
Robin

Hi everyone,

may I put a proposal and I hope that you not are at my throat for mentioning it: would it be possible to use goldfilled chain instead of 14 K gold? I use this material in my jump rings, some clasps (Vermail) and just as I told - chain.

I don?t know how well it would hold up for daily wear but it certainly could become a line for those of us who want good quality pearls but still could think of having not the "real" stuff for everyday wear, especially in necklace styles like the tin cup that needs such a length of chain.

Normally I always opt for gold but as the prices are very high and I better like to have round Tahitians or Tahitians with heavy colouring, I could think myself a tin cup in either SS or Goldfilled any day!

Just a thought, I would like your comments.

Inge,
Gold filled would work for me. I do like the way the yellow gold works with the tahitians. Besides, unless you wear the necklace every single day, the gold should stay put. And it makes it more affordable.

Terrific tin cups, Jeremy and all!

Inge, Pat, I do use both gold-filled and sterling. (I do have some 18k and 22k spacer beads stashed away for use with my very most special pearls, Definitely use more sterling, though.

Partly the issue has been finding a good source of high quality gold-filled chain and findings, with consistent color. If anyone knows of such, please post it. My understanding is that gold-filled might wear better than vermeil, although I use vermeil also. I like the idea of precious metals together (gold over silver).

I wish for a good source of 18k gold filled. I think that would give a rich color and have good wearability at reasonable cost. If the price of gold stays high no doubt we will be seeing more gold-filled in the market and with higher end jewelry. We have seen that already with sterling, many high end designers are using it successfully with platinum plating, rhodium plating, etc to inhibit tarnishing and give a look of platinum or white gold.

It's great that we have the added advantage of being able to rework a piece if spacers or chain looses it's finish over time. Just a few thoughts----

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

For those who are squeamish about gold-filled: gold-filled has a layer of 1/20th gold by volume. It is manufactured onto the metal sheet or wire before the chain or part is pressed out. Genuine gold-filled items should last a lifetime.

Gold-filled has something like forty times the amount of gold that is on vermeil. The good thing about vermeil, is that it's gold plate on sterling silver, so it's all precious metal. Gold-filled is usually over brass or an alloy.

Hope the explanation helps. Pattye, I get most of my gold-filled from Rio Grande or Stuller. With chain, you need to select from a manufacturer that specifies "tub finish" to get the same look. I'm sure that others have experience with this and can share. :cool:

Thanks a bunch, Blaire, Inge and all,

For all the info about vermeil, gold-fill and resources. I so appreciate your willingness to share! I learn alot from all of you each day!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Here are a few tin cups we just finished. The freshwaters are in sterling, and the Akoya in 14k.

Attachments

• BlackFW-Tin-Cup-Necklace-zo.jpg
    BlackFW-Tin-Cup-Necklace-zo.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 38
  • LVFW-Tin-Cup-Necklace-zoom.jpg
    LVFW-Tin-Cup-Necklace-zoom.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 38
  • WhiteAk-TinCup-Necklace-z.jpg
    WhiteAk-TinCup-Necklace-z.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 28
Aloha, Iʻm new, but Iʻm dying to work with pearls and chain, but the chain is so expensive and I hate not to use 14k gold. Gold filled works great, and holds out, but it does not look as good - you can tell the difference. I do use it, but on my best stuff I try to use 14K. Here are some pics of a multi-gem style that I want to do with pearls - probably not make it as busy as this, but with pearls as stations between chain, and some dangling off. Maybe some gem accents. Once you get the wire going it is labor intensive, but itʻs not hard. I have some Tahitian keishiʻs coming from DruzyDesigns (that site is killing me!) and would like to try mixing those with more traditionals. I play the gold game every day, but it is soooooo high. This is 14k. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• mulitgem4.jpg
    mulitgem4.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 36
  • multigem.jpg
    multigem.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 34
  • multigem2.jpg
    multigem2.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 37
I love it -- right up my alley. Pearls will make the design even better, of course! ;)

Back