Tin cup pearls better than a full strand?

Oops, good point, Knotty. It is argentium silver 24 gauge, HH. I am still pretty new at this stuff and have a lot to learn. Not sure I have any 22 gauge at all.

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Hi Pattye -
That's a very nice design you did! I really like the color and metal combination.

I love the necklace, Pattye. I purchased some of that textured chain in Tucson. You're inspiring me to use it! ;)

Thanks Heidi and Blaire,

I was inspired by all the beautiful tin cup style necklaces everyone else has been showing! A bit of a challenge figuring out the spacing and how many large beads to use. I also made one with dark green fw pearls and the same ice cube quartz, but slightly prefer with the white pearls of this one.

Pattye

Thank you all for showing how the wire wrapping and linking is done!

Airdancer, we have very little problem with the pearls coming unglued. We use a very strong 2 part epoxy.

I've had a try at this style too, now. Here are the first efforts. White 10-.11mm with a rose overglow. I didn't think I would like the finished necklaces but I am 'test wearing' them now. The chain etc are sterling silver

Last edited:
Hi Wendy,

That turned out very pretty! Love the size of the pearls and the dangle off the toggle. Are you wearing it with the toggle in front?

Pattye

At the moment the 'test pilot' is sticking to dangle at the back but I am now wearing both at once!
they feel very light and summery and you could wear them to the beach or swim as there is no silk to get wet and rot
Thanks! It is great to get praise from such a practised eye as yours

Pattye- I Love the Ice Cube crystal necklace- such an inventive mix!
I've posted some close ups of the Tin Cup that I am wearing today to show the wirewrapping- we use a very slim gauge 14K Yellow gold (I fell in love with using yellow gold to accent Tahitian pearls awhile ago- it brings out all the warm tones in the pearls IMHO).

Like Perlescence, I think the best look of all is wearing them graduated two at a time- one at 16-inches, the other at 18-inch or so. Very casual, yet elegant, and all of those pretty pearls get to play off each other! :)

Attachments

• Pearl Shots 118.jpg
    Pearl Shots 118.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 43
  • Pearl Shots 117.jpg
    Pearl Shots 117.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 40
I just had to throw my two cents in here & say keep the creative tin cup designs coming! I work in a pretty (read very - it's SoCal!) casual office & feel like strands are a little too much for everyday. I'm constantly on the look out for new tin cup, Y & pendent designs. I especially like ones that mix different types of pearls. I snatched up the tahitian keshi & akoya special at TPO :D

Well, what are everybody's ideas about pricing? How much MAX would you spend on a nice gold and pearl tin cup? What about averages?

What's the most comfortable?

Ashley - I don't know how much help this will be, but I paid $750 for my tin cup about 7 years ago.

What kind of pearls, Boo? I bought two, for $100/strand retail about 7 years ago as well. Freshies and now that I look at them with my more knowing eye, they are beading quality, potato, no luster. Which makes it a good everyday piece. I've gotten my money out of it. I don't know what happened to the other strand when my mother passed. Wish I did. I would have made a bracelet out of it.

Considering the size of the pearls and the thickness of the chain, I'd venture that's a pretty good deal.. I really like the Mickey-Mouse ears, too- the caps on the ends give the piece a very finished, very polished look

p

p

Hi Boo,
Gorgeous necklace. I thought you made it. Those are nice size pearls. Ditto to what Ashley said, I like the caps at the ends. Are the caps epoxied on? and the wire passed through the cap and wrapped?:confused:
Sorry, I don't string and have no jewelry making experience. :)

I paid about $500 for mine, 11-12mm tahitian rose gold... on sale! Excellent price and I would purchase again around there without hesitation.
The other I made and is sterling so was low cost..
I would prefer pricing under $500 for tahitian tin cup in gold. under $400 even better!
Maybe consider a sterling or even better argentum option for the more budget conscious among us. The price of gold is CRAZY.
Robin

Last edited:
Cathy, it appears to me that they have used 2 end caps (such as would be used for a pendant or earrings) - one on each side, then the loops on the caps were opened like a jump ring and attached to the chain that way.

Knotty, I am presuming that the pearls are Tahitians. That is how they were sold and the size and blemishing appear consistent with that to my very inexpert eyes.

I really like the necklace - it was the most money I had ever spent on a piece of jewelry at the time (and I have only a few that are more expensive than it) but it just "spoke" to me. I have earrings to match and they were a near miracle having been purchased on eBay several years later using the color on the computer monitor as a basis for the purchase. The seller assured me I could return them if they were not to my liking and they were so cheap (<$100) that I am still not convinced that they aren't good fakes, but they are a very good color match and dangles (hooray) and I love the way the set looks.

I don't think under $500 is unreasonable. It is even possible with Tahitians. It just really depends on the quality/price of the pearls. The few we put together this week were done with pearls from the "loot" lot so that will make them more expensive. But if we decide to create a line there are a lot of other options. They have turned out really nice though. Hisano finished all but the "Pelosi" style today because we decided that piece would go better with yellow 14k.

Under $400 would make them more affordable for the average woman. They are perfect for the "business casual" look we all have these days. Sometimes a full strand of pearls can look too dressy.

Jeremy -- post some pics!!

Keep 'em coming!!!

Back