The thrift gods smiled...

CTD

Community member
Joined
Oct 31, 2021
Messages
15
I was lucky enough to find this vintage Tasaki necklace.

The pearls are 6-6.5 mm and the length is 120 cm. Most of the pearls under high magnification show impurities that for the most part is not noticeable to the naked eye. The pearls are round, but appear distorted in some of the

Is anyone able to ballpark the age based on the clasp?

Honest thoughts and opinions on the pearls themselves is greatly appreciated.
1000001034.jpg
1000001033.jpg
1000001032.jpg
1000001031.jpg
1000001030.jpg
1000001029.jpg
 
Nice find.

According a quick internet search:

Tasaki Clasp Timeline & Hallmarks
    • 1960s–1980s (Vintage): Marked with a letter "T" (for Tasaki) and an "S" or "SILVER" / "T SILVER" to denote sterling silver. The "T" is frequently placed inside a shell or clam silhouette.
    • 1990s–2009: Transitioned to a dot-and-lines maker's mark symbol.
    • Post-September 15, 2009: Stamped with the full spelling of the word "Tasaki".
 
Great find! A wonderful length-- easy to double-- and the luster more than makes up for the surface blemishes.
Once you clean and restring it, it will be even better.
Thank you.

I like the necklace very much. It's unfortunate the necklace wasn't cared for better, but I think it's still quite lovely. I'm not sure I'm ready to take on stringing just yet. All the info and videos about it have been so helpful and informative, but never doing it before it seems a bit intimidating.
 
Last edited:
Nice find.

According a quick internet search:

Tasaki Clasp Timeline & Hallmarks
    • 1960s–1980s (Vintage): Marked with a letter "T" (for Tasaki) and an "S" or "SILVER" / "T SILVER" to denote sterling silver. The "T" is frequently placed inside a shell or clam silhouette.
    • 1990s–2009: Transitioned to a dot-and-lines maker's mark symbol.
    • Post-September 15, 2009: Stamped with the full spelling of the word "Tasaki".
Thank you.

Your skills are better than mine - I did not see this information.

I know very little about vintage pearls. Based on the clasp design I would have thought 40s or 50s. I see I was was off by a decade or two.
 
Thank you.

I like the necklace very much. It's unfortunate the necklace wasn't cared for better, but I think it's still quite lovely. I'm not sure I'm ready to take on stringing just yet. All the info and videos about it have been so help and informal, but never doing it before it seems a bit intimidating.
Try a mini strand first just to get the feel of it. No clasp-- just make a knot or use a bead stopper, string on a pearl, make an overhand knot, string another, make another overhand knot, etc. Just a bit of practice.
When you feel like you have the hang of it, cut them apart. It's just thread. Then do it for real, when you are ready.
 
Try a mini strand first just to get the feel of it. No clasp-- just make a knot or use a bead stopper, string on a pearl, make an overhand knot, string another, make another overhand knot, etc. Just a bit of practice.
When you feel like you have the hang of it, cut them apart. It's just thread. Then do it for real, when you are ready.
Thanks for the words of encouragement.

I bought a string of imitation pearls at the same time to do the very thing you suggested. I just feel like I may need a whole bottle of bourbon first. LOL
 
That's a great find! Wow, I think they're beautiful.
I just feel like I may need a whole bottle of bourbon first. LOL
I understand completely -- I don't know if I'd have the courage to attempt a rope like yours. If it were me, I might start with a gentle bath for the pearls and see if that helps some of the grime around the clasp. Btw, the bourbon won't help with the stringing, you'll just end up with sloppy knots and have to do it over. ;)
 
That's a great find! Wow, I think they're beautiful.

I understand completely -- I don't know if I'd have the courage to attempt a rope like yours. If it were me, I might start with a gentle bath for the pearls and see if that helps some of the grime around the clasp. Btw, the bourbon won't help with the stringing, you'll just end up with sloppy knots and have to do it over. ;)

Well, I may produce sloppy knots without the bourbon. The booze would just make it more fun :p

I'll try stringing on the imitation strand I bought, but instinct tells me the Tasaki should be done by a pro. We'll see.
 
Back
Top