The Most Valuable Tahitian Color or Overtone

Ohhh, I love all the pretty pictures! I think you can't talk about color without talking about luster. Isn't that what makes them pop? When I see the ugly ones, they are just so flat looking. When the color and the luster is good, I don't really notice shape, blemishes (within reason) or much of anything else. It took me several looks to realize that the second strand that Cathy posted were circle'.
Ok - here are 3 pics I shot with my iPhone and have done nothing to, except barely touch the exposure level on the first pic. They were shot outdoors on a cloudy Hawaiian day, which the pearls seem to adore. The first is a pic of the strand I got from Jeremy this summer at the ruckus, the second is from a group of strands I got from Sarah, 2 Kamoka drops, and a natural chocolate from a friend here who's father sends her Tahitians sometimes (island style) and the 3rd is some of the Kamokas from this summer shining through their ugly plastic bags. I don't think there is any color of Tahitian I dislike, as long as it's natural and the luster is amazing. I have room in my heart for them all! Too bad not in my wallet.

Attachments

• Yummy.jpg
    Yummy.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 71
  • yummy2.jpg
    yummy2.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 69
  • baggie.jpg
    baggie.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 73
Discovering Josh's pearls has been eye-opening for me. I have my own "Colours of Kamoka" strand (great name, Jeremy, promise not to use it commercially!) of stunningly beautiful 11mm multicolored pearls.

Ah! Congratulations, Nerida. Colours of Kamoka is staying in PG family. Too bad there is no icon of a cheerleader jumping up and down with pompoms for me to add at the end of the sentence.

For me, that is the beauty of Tahitians - the VARIETY of colours rather than one colour tone in preference to another. The strand I have even has silvery whites in it... truly magnificent.
The strand Cathy posted above - top picture, post #34, is definitely my favourite of the ones here.

Ditto, no matter what I hear... like a uniform color strand is more valuable than a multicolor strand because it is harder to match, I still gravitate towards multicolor strands. I even like pearls with multicolors in them, especially the circle pearls with multiple color bands (read not grooves). Like these pearls, for example. The second pearl from the clasp has pink, green and blue. The third pearl has gold, blue and green.

Attachments

• IMG_3422trim.jpg
    IMG_3422trim.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 74
Ohhh, I think you can't talk about color without talking about luster. Isn't that what makes them pop? When I see the ugly ones, they are just so flat looking. When the color and the luster is good, I don't really notice shape, blemishes (within reason) or much of anything else.

Absolutely !!!

Hi Hanaleimom, I think you misread Nerida's post. She hasn't got Jeremy's Colours of Kamoka, she has a stock for sale of her own Kamokas direct from Josh, including a very colourful necklace which she drilled and compiled from loose pearls

Yes Wendy - sorry for the misunderstanding... my multicolored strand is from loose stock I bought from Josh - I drilled and assembled the strand and it too is a true "colours of Kamoka"... I will post pics tomorrow hopefully!

This thread has become the most beautiful collection of photographs! Sheryls pics above are just drool-worthy!

I'm so glad I stayed away from the scotch and got into the pearls!!! I think I'm ready to ruckus again... as soon as I get off crutches. OK, one last one - Kamokas out of the bag. One that has a true chocolate (cocoa actually) color, the other more of a copper with green. G'night!

(Arghh, lost the color again.)

Attachments

• chococlate.jpg
    chococlate.jpg
    19.2 KB · Views: 68
Ditto, no matter what I hear... like a uniform color strand is more valuable than a multicolor strand because it is harder to match, I still gravitate towards multicolor strands. I even like pearls with multicolors in them, especially the circle pearls with multiple color bands (read not grooves). Like these pearls, for example. The second pearl from the clasp has pink, green and blue. The third pearl has gold, blue and green.

The pic. says it all, for me.....:)

Hi Hanaleimom, I think you misread Nerida's post. She hasn't got Jeremy's Colours of Kamoka, she has a stock for sale of her own Kamokas direct from Josh, including a very colourful necklace which she drilled and compiled from loose pearls

Oh, hehe (adding characters to meet requirement) :eek:

ohmygoodness, those are gorgeous!! These photographs are swirling around my dreams at night! gotta win the lotto..I'll make a bed of pearls, and run away to Tahiti!

..........pearls in the "J. Hunter Pastel Collection" seems to be beyond beautiful. Are these considered as "Tahitian pearls"?

No, technically speaking, they are not "Tahitian" pearls; they are black south sea pearls. The description "Tahitian" pearl is just a branding term, made up by the organization GIE Perles de Tahiti, for marketing and promoting only those pearls from the French Polynesian islands.

Gail

Last edited:
Adding to Gail's information, from PG reference information on the left hand side:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/black-tahitian-pearls.shtml

Tahitian Pearls ? Not From Tahiti
Although Tahitian pearls are thought by many to be solely a product of Tahiti, this is in fact not true. Tahiti is the commercial center and trading hub for the bulk of the industry, however Tahiti does not have any pearl farms actually located on the island. The farms are instead scattered throughout French Polynesia, as far east as the Gambier Islands, and beyond French Polynesia to the west into the Micronesian Islands. Australia, the Seychelles and Vietnam have all produced black pearls as well, but those cannot be referred to as Tahitian pearls.

And because I am a visual person, I am adding a map too. :)

Attachments

• australasia-map.jpg
    australasia-map.jpg
    15.7 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
this thread has been so interesting. Wouldn't it be fabulous to find a pair of "pistachio" drops to make into earrings? Yummm!

Adding to Gail's information, from PG reference information on the left hand side:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/black-tahitian-pearls.shtml

Tahitian Pearls ? Not From Tahiti
Although Tahitian pearls are thought by many to be solely a product of Tahiti, this is in fact not true. Tahiti is the commercial center and trading hub for the bulk of the industry, however Tahiti does not have any pearl farms actually located on the island. The farms are instead scattered throughout French Polynesia, as far east as the Gambier Islands, and beyond French Polynesia to the west into the Micronesian Islands. Australia, the Seychelles and Vietnam have all produced black pearls as well, but those cannot be referred to as Tahitian pearls.

And because I am a visual person, I am adding a map too. :)

I quoted the above paragraph on tripadvisor.com when someone asked about black pearl purchasing on Kauai, Hawaii. And this is one poster's response:

"19. Re: The Black Pearl
Jun 22, 2009, 2:11 PM
Destination Expert What's this?
for Kauai

I went to a black pearl farm on the island of Tahaa in French Polynesia but some people just say it generally called Tahiti." :eek:

I just got 2 "bluish" Tahitian pearls, I heard from the pearl farmer that they were rare.
I look from the lot they showed me and most pearls were peacock and only two bluish was outstanding so I bought those 12mm+
They do have blue tones but not really blue mostly dark blue.
Any ideas?

I just got 2 "bluish" Tahitian pearls, I heard from the pearl farmer that they were rare.
I look from the lot they showed me and most pearls were peacock and only two bluish was outstanding so I bought those 12mm+
They do have blue tones but not really blue mostly dark blue.
Any ideas?

I collected a bag of dark blue Tahitians once. Newberry from this forum made a necklace of them a year or so ago. You don't come across them very often.

Back