The market for 5-6mm fw pearl ropes 22-54"?

Caitlin

Dear Pearl Forum members,
Why do so many websites offer only the larger size freshwater pearls, size 7.5mm and up? Is this a market thing? I think the 5-6mm in a rope is a nicer size pearl for everyday wear. I am surprised at how hard this size is to find in a rope.

I have looked in vain for infinity necklaces, 22’-56’ long in a 5-6mm white, AA “round” freshwater pearl. Pearl Paradise has a 7.5mm 26” infinity strand -and at a very good price- but I could find nothing on the site for smaller size pearls in that length or style I already emailed over there to ask if I could buy ropes of the smaller size and was referred here while awaiting an answer.

I have been inquiring at other sites when I did not see my size choices in their products, but so far all have said they do not sell smaller necklaces than 7.5, except for the "Princess Di" collar 5-6mm, which is assembled in China.

Basically, I have reached the decision to buy unfinished strands of the right size and knot my own. But buying top quality freshwater pearls from a bead store? That is a whole other topic I will raise in another post.

Please tell me about the market for this size pearls -why they aren't seen more often, and how to get 5-6mm top quality fw white “round” pearls in strands.

Thanks Caitlin

The basic reason that you can't find 5-6mm rope pearls is simple supply and demand. Maybe in the 1920's there were a lot of people who liked rope pearls, but those are a tough sell these days. Pearls that are less than 7mm are going to have a poor luster simply because they don't have very much nacre. Therefore they are less desirable to most people.

As for buying that necklace... On the bright side, 5-6mm AA quality freshwater pearls should be relatively cheap. Small pearls also tend to look rounder, so there shouldn't be a problem with the shape. You might want to look on eBay, or if you would like, you can e-mail me with the details and I can give you a quote on how much it would cost to have my supplier from China make you a custom piece.

James Dunn
sales@strictlypearls.com
http://www.strictlypearls.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi James
Thanks for your answer. I am studying this situation every day and I keep learning more. I can find 5-6mm fw pearl beads on ebay. They are very poor quality with rings and blemishes and not even promises to grade or luster. Same with the FW pearls in local bead stores. Bead stores do not seem to be the place for good quality FW!

In general on Ebay, the Chinese are selling 7.5-9mm :eek: akoyas and even in FW! An 11m FW? I have trouble with this. That is way too big for my taste. Besides I think they are poor quality necklaces if I can judge from the pictures.(many of which I hear are ripped off from reputable dealers) I check ebay out a couple of times a week, but am getting bored with their hype.

I am now committed to getting some loose strands so I can knot my own necklaces- unless the matching and knotting is part of the deal. I have seen some AAA luster fw pearls. Now I am interested in overall the best AAA luster would be the first criteria A- AA quality in other factors than luster.

I can understand why smaller Akoyas might have worse luster than bigger ones, assuming the same size bead was used for the nucleating, but why would the luster be worse on a smaller FW pearl?

And finally, you are right, I was thinking that the slightly smaller 5-6 mm is very 1920's as is the rope style. I am actually trying to find pearls that remind me of my grandmother's pearls in this project!

Hello Caitlin,

Take a look at these strands and see if they are what you're looking for.
5-5.5mm Grade AA white pearl strands
http://www.pearlsandjade.com/product/P106S555
Noticing the date of your post, you probably already have found the pearls you're looking for, but you can check these out anyway if you like.

Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bill

Yes, I found some very high luster aa 5.5mm freshwaer pearls I liked at the Tucson Gem Show, but thanks for posting.

I enjoyed your website. Your 5.5mm pearls look very high quality. I am impressed by the photos. Did you take them?

Hello Caitlin,

Thanks for visiting our website. I've enjoyed reading your posts; they're very informative. We live in the Phoenix area now and yet we couldn't make the Tucson show until the last day so we missed out seeing the people we wanted to see, but we've already reserved the time for next year.

You wrote that you visited the pearl display of Earl Peche from Big Sandy, Tennessee. I believe he is partners with Jim Peach in their pearl operation there. I'll be visiting Jim at their pearl farm in July to see some of their local cultured pearls, and some of the natural pearls they've collected.

Yes, I take all the photographs. Photography is a hobby so I enjoy doing it. However, its very time consuming because I want to show the pearls as close as I can to how a person would see them if they hold them in their hand close up. Pearls show up differently on different colored backgrounds, and each color pearl requires a different background for best presentation. I have to experiment with each color, and sometimes need to show the pearl with two different backgrounds because one may show more detail but pick up unwanted color, the other may show less detail, but show closer to the true color.

http://www.pearlsandjade.com/product/P111P157 http://www.pearlsandjade.com/product/P112P156

These two large pearls were a big challenge. The goal was to show them in different backgrounds so the high quality of each would come through. I liked the black background, but black gives the pearl a brownish-red color in its reflecton. So I had to use different backgrounds to show color. The white background showed detail and color, but not much contrast. The pearl in the mussel shell worked well because of the subtle contrast. Since I don't like to use gel on pearls to keep them in place, I had to use a textured cloth to keep the one pearl in place to photograph the dimple for disclosure purposes. The two tone gray cloth isn't attractive in a close up, but it served the purpose to disclose the dimple, and show how minor it is.

You are right. I wrote the article from memory and when I looked at the card, it is of course, James L. Peach though the email address says "peche". I will edit that post, so thanks! BTW, Jim would not sell me one each of his pearl shells. He had quite a few varieties of oyster and mussel shells. He sells only 50 pounds at a time, and never in my wildest would i need that much! I just want a little collection of pearl shells, one of each. I am also crazy for abalone shells, but not 50 pounds worth!

Also, thanks for your coments on photography. I visited your cited page (and a few more). My goodness! What magnificent fw pearls! And what excellent photography. You do know what you are talking about. I am so glad you have posted here. I hope you keep it up. It looks like you read my posts, so you can see, I am learning!

I started a new thread. I hope you will put the info in this post into that one, so it will come up in a search on photography. This thread will not have too many readers, I don't think!

Caitlin Williams said:
You are right. I wrote the article from memory and when I looked at the card, it is of course, James L. Peach though the email address says "peche". I will edit that post, so thanks! BTW, Jim would not sell me one each of his pearl shells. He had quite a few varieties of oyster and mussel shells. He sells only 50 pounds at a time, and never in my wildest would i need that much! I just want a little collection of pearl shells, one of each. I am also crazy for abalone shells, but not 50 pounds worth!

Hi Caitlin,

Here is the info on James Peach's name. "Peche" is the original spelling of his name. "Peach" is the current spelling. I didn't ask him why the change, but I assume that people probablly mispronounced Peche, so he changed the spelling.

As for shells. I have 100 Chinese Hyriopsis Cumingi (Triangle shells) setting in Oakland customs being held up by the Fish and Game Inspector wanting to know if I have a fish and game license. On Monday I hope to clear that up and get them delivered soon. I'll put some on my web site to sell individually after they arrive.

Bill

After reading the thread again for the first time in a long while I wanted to let you know, Caitlin, that you are right. Small pearls can have just as much luster as large. I am not sure what Mr. Dunn meant, but a 5-6mm freshwater pearl is still solid nacre, and as it is only the first few layers that are visible anyway, even a 3mm pearl could have outstanding luster. It is all about the quality of the pearl!

Maybe in the 1920's there were a lot of people who liked rope pearls, but those are a tough sell these days.

I've noticed a growing trend and demand for rope lengths. Thus we've added a couple different styles to our product offering. Anyone want to put in their two cents on the current popularity of ropes?

Here are the two new ropes we're featuring:

Freshwater Rope

Saltwater Rope

I would definitely say that ropes are making a come back, I see a lot of young women wearing them these days and plenty of young stars like Christina Aguilera and Britney Spears too. So I think we will start to get more and more demand as this generation gets older and has more disposable income for luxury items.

That was my very first post here! Again, I claim credit for being ahead of the curve in my sense of what is fashionable.

I did a thoroughly-thorough Google search before I got referred here. No ropes anywhere. (except faux ropes on eBay) Just another poster telling me I was out of touch and off base. Yes, right.

OK, I think I get another chance: 18 months from now, I expect untreated CFWP of the the first water, will be de rigeur :p (did you know that Google will give you the correct spelling if you aren't sure?)

I found Ropes and Ropes of 5-6mm AA rounds with a AAA luster at the Gem Show in 2006- for $4 per.

But I have developed a taste for the bigger guys. I made about a dozen 32" long 10+ black-dyed CFWP ropes last Xmas and they got grabbed out of my hands and off my neck. Hot. hot. hot. So I made some more with alternating 8mm black CFWP and rose quartz, amethyst, and ether seed bead sized gemstones. Gone.Gone. Gone.

10mm is my new standard size. It is just right, and CFWP deliver.

Last edited:
the market for 5-6mm fw pearl ropes 22-54"?

the market for 5-6mm fw pearl ropes 22-54"?

Hi Terry

I thought the ropes you are showing on the links were lovely. I am seeing more and more in the mags, but hey, they are fun and not a fortune in cfwp. Since I have reached a "certain age" where my preference is a little more room between the strand(s) and neck--the 100" can be great. I have picked up a few at gem shows--generally heavily circled and natural color pink and peach--wish you lots of success with your offerings.

Caitlin or Terry--how much harder is it to knot something that long?
I am just getting started knotting.

Pattye

Hi Pattye,

The main problems in knotting a 100-inch necklace are thread fraying and sheer concentration. If you make a mistake at 42 inches and only notice it by the time you reached 54 inches, your language may be getting pretty colorful at the thought of having to cut the whole shebang up again and start anew.

Zeide

Hi Pattye
Except for the bulk of passing the whole length of the beads through the knot, it should not be any different than a shorter strand.

45" is the longest I have done though. I don't know how you knot. I like to use a double silk thread on a needle, which I think is the easiest way to snuggle the knots into place. I would wax the thread because it is going to be quite long.

I would consider using several clasps instead, as the mystey clasp does, so I could combine. I would go on an internet hunt for a do-able substitute for the mystery clasp. Like the round balls the same size as the pearls maybe. Anyway, I would look first, because such a long strand has fewer uses when it is in one piece.

Happy knotting!

lol,
shoot when that happens to me with a regular 16-18 or 24in i get that way. recently i made a mistake and forgot to put a knot between 2 pearls that were about 8 in into the necklace and when i seen it i was a little frazzled lol.

The market for 5-6mm fw pearl ropes 22-54"?

Thanks Zeide, Caitlin and student,

All great suggestions, and much appreciated. I'll let you know how it goes. I guess I should have asked this question on the pearl stringing thread,though.
Does it always say edit on one's post? Or am I not doing something correctly?
thanks sooooo much
Pattye

Hi Pattye
Yes it always says edit there. That is to fix typos-if you want- or add to it....etc

It is ok on any thread I start to get as off topic as you want, pearls as a subject is so interconnected that these kinds of topic crossovers happen a lot.

After al,l I first posted this thread almost 18 months ago, to ask about rope and long since found them, yet people are still reading it!
Ropes are a tad pricey, even freshwater ones, even online- so I think it is great that some people want to try kotting their own. I hope you report what works for you!

I would be happy to tell you how to do it, it is just hard for me to explain (not really having the beading background). It is done with 2 threads and the knot is a movable not so you can make it as tight as you like, and if you make a mistake you can simply tighten it by pulling the knot down. Does that make sense? You may have seen something like it in the past, you only use your fingers and you do not need to lay the pearls on anything, you hold the whole strand while knotting (or have one loop end around your wrist).
Pull a single pearl down to the left, separate the thread with thumb and index from your right, pull the knotted side around under the thumb and through the loop made by the separation and pulling it back to your right. Let go and let the knot slip into the exact place you like. I am sure there are all sorts of fancy "knotting" terms used to explain it, but I was taught in Chinese and it might not help you much...

gia student
I feel for you, because I have made every mistake possible, in knotting and beading in the last 40 years. I am a natural space case and concentration will inevitably break.
So, I have developed a kinesthetic rhythm to help me knot correctly. I have a technique and do it the same every time. I taught my hands to do it, and they always start with sliding the bead into place, tight. If the phone rings- I slide it back and start over later.
Now, one of the things I do is string all the beads on to about 2 feet short of the end before I start knotting. Then I hold the end of the thread with the attached clasp in one hand, slide one pearl to it, and make an overhand knot loose enough to pass the whole string through the knot with the other hand, put the string down, separate the threads and gently pull the knot tight.
After that first bead, the start of each knot is when you slide the pearl next to the previous knot. Do not do it until you are ready to knot it immediately.
As I like to string patterns of pearls, there is no substitute for concentration. I often find mistakes when I first string everythiing on. Then I have to take some off and fix, but at least I didn't knot it yet.

Back