The last Akoya pearls in Greenhills?

cyndayco

I am such a magpie!

After being told that Akoya pearls are no longer sold in Greenhills, I found a handful of strands yesterday.

I was in the food court and saw something shimmering in the distance. It sat on the bottom display shelf of a pearl stall. Not visible if you were standing next to it, but if you were sitting down to a greasy dinner of burger and cheese fries, some 30 feet away? You couldn't miss it.

So I sauntered over and inquired. The shopgirl claimed they were "Mikimoto" pearls. (It has become our generic term for small saltwater pearls.) Not very sellable despite their high luster, because they were smaller than many FWP, and our pearl market, like Texas, is big on "big".

Having never seen Akoyas in real life, I didn't know if what she said was true. But the pearls were in a 33" necklace, 8-9mm in size, ivory with a strong rose orient, and baroque. Some had noticeable rings. But--magpie alert!--I had never seen such shiny pearls!

The vendor was eager to make a sale and go home. After a fair bit of haggling, she priced it at par with her better FWP ($130). Since I was willing to assume they were FWP, I thought why not?

Here they are. For the purposes of learning, tell me what you think. Akoya or not? And what about the nacre?

IMG_1631.jpg
In this comparison shot, the strand is between my humble potato pearls and FWP earrings.

IMG_1634.jpg
Very strong rose orient. Or did I mistake orient for something else?

IMG_1635.jpg
That's me and my iPhone in the reflection.

IMG_1637.jpg

IMG_1639.jpg
A number of them are ringed. Totally unacceptable to the Japanese market, but I actually like rings.

IMG_1640.jpg
Bald spots on the two rightmost pearls. I didn't see these until I unwrapped the necklace at home.

Last edited:
I can see the resemblance to baroque akoyas (have a few) but the rings makes me wonder. They are lovely, though.

- Karin

For the last few days, I've been seeing photos of baroque akoyas (PP's and Ehret's). I do realize that none of them have rings. That makes me wonder, if Akoyas and SSPs are both saltwater, shouldn't they share similar shapes and patterns?

Still, if my pearls do turn out to be FWP, I'd be just as happy. Because the upside is that I don't have to treat them so gently, for fear of wearing them out. :eek:

Last edited:
Hmm, if you ever restring them, can you spare one and smash it so we'll know? :)

- Karin

As you got these for such a good price, I hope you feel you can wear and enjoy them, following good care regimen.

Could you please give us a more close up photo of the bald spots? Often the blemishes are clues to the type of pearls. Are there any other standout blemishes you could give us a photo of?

I have some bead nucleated freshwater pearls in that size range, though not such amazing luster. Some have been dyed. I'll have to see if I can find them.

Wear them and enjoy. That kind of orient comes from a fairly thick coating of nacre. :)

I have some bead nucleated freshwater pearls in that size range, though not such amazing luster. Some have been dyed. I'll have to see if I can find them.

Ah, I figured at that size FW wouldn't be nucleated.

I'm glad they turned out to be Akoya. You did well! And interesting to know akoya can be ringed.

- Karin

And here they are. Who knew I could get so worked up over classic white pearls?

Thanks again for all the opinions and suggestions!

photo 3.jpg

Love 1) the length, 2) the shape, 3) the rose tint, 4) the enhancer :D

- Karin

Back