The Glue Needle

Narcissa

I was taught to knot with one strand, a pair of tweezers, and no needle. The rest I learned here on the P-G. Or I should say that in the present tense: I AM learning!

I was encouraged to post these directions on how to use superglue instead of a needle:

If you try it, here are some important tips:

Remove your pearls from the immediate area! (but you knew that part already.)

Put down a paper towel. You're probably more dexterous than I am, but I have dripped glue on the damndest things, including my best pants. My best pants weren't that good, But Still.

Run a tiny bead of glue along about 1.5 - 2" or so of the end of the line, then immediately swoop it off tightly between you thumb and index finger, pulling the cord straight as you go. Go Fast! Don't keep your fingers together a microsecond longer than it takes! You do end up with superglue on your fingers. That's the part I don't like. It wears off in a couple days. Make the glue line long enough that you can keep snipping off bits for a sharp angled edge as you work.

BEFORE you cut your length from the spool: measure out what you will cut, then run a line of glue double length on the end not yet cut off. When it dries, cut it midway thru the glue line, and your "glue needle" end is already ready for next time, on the end of the line still left on the spool.

I find if I can hold the cord taught while applying the glue, everything seems to go better.

If you glue your fingers together, use cooking oil and a rubbing (not pulling) motion, and do it right away.

Oh - and the stars should be aligned before you start.

Cheers!

Very enjoyable post! And very good needles. When I learned to make a thread needle, the glue was gum Arabic, a natural gum, but the technique was about the same. Great update!

Thank you very much for explaining this, Narcissa. I tried the gum Arabic as Henrietta suggests, but it would never dry stiff enough. So I like this idea a lot.

I bought Vigor (super glue for jewelry) after Hisano showed how to use it for finishing a strand, and it dries much faster than anything I've used before.

Thanks Caitlin & Pattye!
Ooooo Pattye - how does Hisano use it for finishing a strand? Cause finishing a strand is my worst part still.

This is MY interpretation of how Hisano finishes the strand:

Well, after you've done the final knot, then pull the "tail" back through two or three beads away from the clasp. The tail comes out next to a knot, then you pull the thread away from the knot and hole, approximately perpendicular, while holding tightly, apply a tiny amount of glue on the inside of where the threads touch. Hold the thread taut for a few minutes, then let dry and snip. When done correctly, this keeps the silk from raveling, glues the threads together with minimal glue inside the pearl. Hisano demonstrated with 2 threads, but I would think it could be done with one also. Hisano, please add info and corrections when you can!

I agree, my worst part too! Plus the fear that sets in as we hope we will not have a do over! I have finally realized that what I hoped (for some reason) would be a cut and dried process, will always be like sewing, knitting and embroidery, completely engrossing, with more than enough do overs to keep me humble!

Last edited:
Thanks Pattye -
I have taken the attitude (after the first howl of anguish is over and done) that every re-do is a chance to improve my skill.

I found this, glue-needles - Hey Narcissa! Thank you for starting this thread!!!

I found this, glue-needles - Hey Narcissa! Thank you for starting this thread!!!
You're welcome, lisa c!
And now I have moved on to 2 threads and a needle, for variety and range. Each method has its points.

Back