The designer's corner

Sheryl, I'm inspired to have a go at bangles now..... Have you every considered a torque? I tried to make one a year or so ago but it kept falling off! I think I got over-excited and made it too heavy. A hook for it somehow in the back of the client's neck would have been just the ticket.
Adeline, I so love your lush, opulent distinctive design vibe

Wendy, thanks!

If you are anyhting like me and crazy for the ODed-on-gemstones-n-pearls-look, I will let you in on who I consider to be THE uber artisan if you don't already know about her (count rock 'royalty', Courtney Love, in as one of her regulars). Since Caitlin said I could, these are bespoke heirloom (woo hoo, to me and my girls) pieces from Emily Gray - tumbling tendrils and coils of keshi pearls, citrine, scapolite, oregon sunstone, rainbow moonstone and a gold leaf mother-of-pearl focal:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/EmilyGrayJewels?ref=seller_info

Attachments

• fossil2
    fossil2
    29.2 KB · Views: 49
  • fossil3
    fossil3
    28 KB · Views: 48
  • fossil4
    fossil4
    27.4 KB · Views: 48
Sapphires, antique gold and Tahitian Keshi

Sapphires, antique gold and Tahitian Keshi

Just about to head of to bed and thought I would add a couple more designs. I am going to need an hour or two just to go through looking at all the wonderful designs that have been listed. Had a quick look and all are so gorgeous that I am over-whelmed with the beauty of many.

Adeline - you are right about the tourmaline. Just way too expensive but I do love it so and just had to make a special piece. Really I guess for my own benefit. I just couldn't stop. I still have some beautiful tourmaline faceted and and un-facted and now I am itching to get to it. Most of the time when using gem beads I also just have to add beautiful pearls too. No hiding my pearl bug.

Your pieces are stunning. I love them. Do you sell. I find it hard to add the cost up of the components in your pieces. I sort of do that when I love pieces :)

Jeweljunke - Love your designs. Pearls with Peridot and Amethyst is just SO right. They go beautifully together. Had a look at your site the other night and have been meaning to get back to it. Beautiful jewellery.

Have one below which shows this addiction. No matter what else I am working with, next thing there are pearls too.

The 3rd Photo of is Aquamarine and tourmaline with loads of gold. Too much for my pocket. This is one I actually held myself back from adding pearls too. A very rare thing for me. Had to show it because I love it :)

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.
http://shop.ebay.com/dawncee333/m.html

Attachments

• '63 RIV and TIM
    '63 RIV and TIM
    46.5 KB · Views: 45
  • wave jumping
    wave jumping
    32.1 KB · Views: 36
Aquamarine, Tourmaline & Gold

Aquamarine, Tourmaline & Gold

This is the necklace I meant to upload but forgot to. Duhh. :)

Dawn - Bodecia
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 - natural pearl collector and all round pearl lover.
http://shop.ebay.com/dawncee333/m.html

Attachments

• Japanese pearl divers
    Japanese pearl divers
    56.3 KB · Views: 38
OK, my turn again. Sorry if these are reposts. Wire and Tahitian necklace, finished with leather so you can adjust length, Kamoka pearls on the leather. Green amythest (prasiolite) and green toned Tahitians.

Attachments

• A boat out on the reef
    A boat out on the reef
    34.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Arlington Pearls
    Arlington Pearls
    69.7 KB · Views: 48
Jeweljunke, what an excellent buy!

Sheryl: I personally 'heart' your tahitian bangle. I'm keeping it on my radar over on Etsy :)

Bodecia: Thanks and I messaged you in response. I love the aquamarine with the tourmaline. I can't get over the size of the focal rondelle and the gem clarity as well. Good aquamarine, like good tourmaline, and men, (tongue-in-cheek, couldn't resist it, sorry), is getting so hard to find. And yes, using gem quality material in our beaded designs is dear on our pockets but big on style.

Soooo much to peruse here on this thread, fun!

Caitlin, Love the amy and white pearls, yes, I agree, timeless ropes, just pile them on! No one wears them more beautifully than you!

Jeweljunke, the pink & gold bracelet is exquisite, great photography, too, not a small thing! Checked out the Ocean's Realm Designs, just my taste-love them. Your Sis must feel like s Snow Queen in the beautiful filigree earrings and pendant set! So wearable!

Dawn, your love for the pearls and gemstones really shows in your designs! I'm fascinated by the tourmalines in all their hues also! The high karat gold always adds that great elegant touch!

Ash, Your timeless creations with delicate pearls & gems are always are delightful, I can only imagine the hours you put in making them!

Adeline, wow, just wow, more glamorous, lush earrings! I imagine your co-workers look forward to seeing your jewelry every day!

Currently just finished 3 long ropes, to double or triple, here's pics: "Pond-slime" pearls, one more bronzy, the other more lavender, plus a white with cz roundels

IMGP3739.jpgIMGP3737.jpgIMGP3738.jpgIMGP3742.jpg

All ropes are about 66-72 inches long or so. (Yes, knotted by me.)

Last edited:
Pattye, they are stunning! I adore lavender and pondslime together. I have a real soft spot for these and I bet the layers and layers of ropes just makes you look positively regal. Are their hues flattering on your skin? Strangely, for my Chinese skin, after all that experimentation, the lustre of stark white pearls still looks best.

Oh and my one last post to end off the year. Ironically, the simplest design I've made: sets of gemstone and pearl charms for the necks of my teen nieces. The pearl crosses were from the HK trip. These are so late I doubt it'll make it to the UK by Christmas :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_2261.jpg
    IMG_2261.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 37
Sheryl, So glad I got to see the Kamoka Pearls with Leather ties in person this summer! It is amazing and fun! Thanks for adding the pic here! You have a great flair for design!

Adeline, Thank you! The lavender rope has already been sold, the others are available in my etsy store. I just wear what I like, and don't think twice about what is flattering. Somehow aging skin+white hair nudges one towards flamboyancy with many ropes and layers of pearls.

Pattye...amazing! Gorgeous! What size are they, love the mix of big and small...how small is small and how big is big :) I can't imagine knotting those ropes, would take my fumble fingers a year I think lol .

Hands up ... best thread ever or what !?! I just love these photos and the links to new sites!!

Thanks to all those talented hearts and hands for providing such joy!! Hugs to all!!

Pattye...amazing! Gorgeous! I can't imagine knotting those ropes, would take my fumble fingers a year I think lol .

Hands up ... best thread ever or what !?! I just love these photos and the links to new sites!!

Thanks to all those talented hearts and hands for providing such joy!! Hugs to all!!

Had a look at your site and found the sizes I had asked about! Great stuff!

Wendy. Nice if you like crosses! Really nice, in fact.

Patty, you knotting fiend you! How long did it take for you to just make the transition from insecure to just doing it? nO MATTER- YOU ARE DOING IT NOW!!!!! sorry for the caps. It was accidental, but appropriate!

Take note all. Anyone can knot if you get over the hump in your head that won't let you!!!!

Wendy, those crosses are quite large, aren't they? I think they have a definite fashion appeal!

Well, thanks so much, Katbran, Adeline and Caitlin! Caitlin, you know you pushed me over the edge in making the commitment to learning to knot, and without a tool, back in 2008. So it was fits and starts. And I was determined this "ole dog" could learn one more new trick! Last year about this time I'd finished a number of custom pearl ropes, and I realized I could work through the challenges, armed with 3.5x glasses! It has been soooo worth it!! I was already a wire-wrapping fiend, Adeline!

With thanks to many excellent, experienced knotters around P-G who mentor and coach~Marianne, Sarah, Hisano, Caitlin, Wendy, to name a few. Videos on YouTube, too. And much info here.

(Like the Dr. Seuss book "Oh, the Places You'll Go,.......when you just put one foot in front of the other." And follow your heart...........)

Back