"Tahitian Pearls" seller found on TradeTang

She also informs me that the entire pearl industry is being over-produced and that it is increasingly difficult to make a living by retailing pearls alone.

China produces tons of freshwater pearls annually, as opposed to kilograms from saltwater producers in other parts of the world.

Tahiti has strict laws governing pearl farming. Pearls must have a minimum requirement for nacre thickness and must meet substantial legal prerequitistes for tenure, environment, marketing and export. Genuine Tahitain pearls retailing for $5-10 each, is absolutely impossible.

The lack of ethical trade laws in China makes it a breeding ground for misdeeds of epidemic proportion and we've seen numerous attempts at value-added schemes including co-option, misrepresentation, copyright infringement, bogus histories and outright fraud.

I don't wish to sound overly questioning of your expertise, but after having been made to feel downright stupid by some of your replies I have to ask if there is at least one of you who does NOT sell pearls for a living.

You asked an honest question and got an honest answer. Nobody enjoys informing anyone that they have been misled. For retailers, it would be a fool's errand to come to this forum and expect to pull the wool over the eyes of the many experts here. Many have tried and many have failed.

I work with natural pearls every day. I am also developing new proprietary techniques for pearl culture here in Canada and base my work upon honesty, integrity, sound environmentalism and transparency. I'd never consider such a huge undertaking at my own expense, if the market couldn't accomodate it.

I might also add that while China does produces tons of CFWP annually, production has dropped significantly over the past five years. This is also the case for Tahitian pearls and akoya pearls, and many in Australia intentionally scaled back SSP production as demand during the recession dropped. China has all but ceased producing akoya pearls and they were once a major producer. Prices fell so low in the Tahitian pearl market that they became unsustainable for a huge number of pearl producers and many went out of business.

I'm not a merchant.

One of the best things to take from PG is a change in attitude. The good feeling that comes from thinking you bought something dirt cheap (but is a lie) morphs into getting a great feeling from knowing you spent more than dirt but it's a terrific deal on the real thing.

Not being snarky or criticizing here, the rush from the 'Gamble' is SUPER powerful, and the pleasure from a 'Sure Thing' Win is somewhat less. Research has shown that the chemicals generated by risk were more important than the outcome of the gamble.

That means that winning doesn't feel better than taking the risk, and 'losing' chemicals dont feel as punishing as the risk feels good.That's where changing your thinking about your Win is so important.

Last edited:
Yes. I should have said TahhitianPearls.biz. instead of Jose. He does sell at the lowest prices for some unusual pearls. If those same pearls went to China first, they would cost more than Jose's pearls do. One thing, Jose's listed price is for 16". If you want 18", it's more. Also his pearls like that are small, ringed, and unusual colors, just as I said in post #17. I happen to want one of those necklaces like that- if I were ever to want to buy more pearls. I love those ones with 2 colors on the pearl!

Jose is the one to compare prices with, when you are shopping for Tahitians. He just has such a large variety compared to most sellers.

I don't wish to sound overly questioning of your expertise, but after having been made to feel downright stupid by some of your replies I have to ask if there is at least one of you who does NOT sell pearls for a living.

I don't buy or sell for a living.

The top 2 don't have vibrant, most sought after colors. The 3rd's color is much nicer. I don't feel like the last 3 pearls on each end at the clasp are well matched though, MHO. With the last picture shown in full I counted 37 pearls which makes that almost $10/pearl. These are circle pearls with more than 1/3 of the surface cover with grooves. We know that circle pearls are the least expensive, with round being the most expensive. OP's "round" strand comes out to $6/pearl, even cheaper than Jose's merchandise. Keep in mind only one pearl per oyster when it comes to Tahitian grafting. Rate of success and having round, flawless pearls are much less than freshwater pearls where you can get several pearls from each mussel. Pearl farmers have to feed their families. They wouldn't be farming if they sell round pearls for less than $6 each.

Last edited:
....China has all but ceased producing akoya pearls and they were once a major producer....

This statement has been going around in my mind. I don't recall having read why this is so, why China is not producing many Akoyas anymore. Has the reason been posted elsewhere and I missed it?

ES very strange seller
Some tahitian pearls are real but some fake

Many thanks for the Pearl Guide education!

A couple of years ago, I knew nothing about Tahitian pearls.

I really enjoy reading the posted comments here. The thread is such a good education.

Back