Starting over in making my tahitian strand

Oh the new strands are gorgeous!!! I'm happy you found something that makes you happy! And I can't wait to see you wearing the new strand!!! Congrats!!!

Thank you bweaves, amti gemandpearllover, and purranha!

The beeswax helps me thread the needle. Sometimes the thread slips out,
so I tend to keep reneedling the thread. While writing this, I realized I might be able to add beeswax to the thread to prevent slipping out..... hmmm.

Some folks wax their thread (for various thread uses, embroidery etc., not just beading.) I have read that it reduces fraying and tangling and can strengthen the thread.

Supposedly it also can alter the desirable properties of the thread-- like the way it reflects light, its luster etc. It can make thread darken over time. I found this article that discusses some of the cons of conditioning thread for embroidery:
https://www.needlenthread.com/2018/03/on-thread-conditioning-beeswax-for-embroidery.html

I've read of beaders waxing their silk, but this is the first time I've seen it used with Beader's Secret, and am curious about how the thread (which is polyester) behaves when waxed. Edit: I see you use it to make the needle easier to thread. I can see where that would help, on the thread end.

My dad was a tailor, my mother a dressmaker. I never saw beeswax in our home or among their sewing supplies. I still have a number of their spools of thread, including machine grade silk, cotton, nylon, polyester; none of the spools of any kind are pre-waxed.

Some folks wax their thread (for various thread uses, embroidery etc., not just beading.) I have read that it reduces fraying and tangling and can strengthen the thread.

Supposedly it also can alter the desirable properties of the thread-- like the way it reflects light, its luster etc. It can make thread darken over time. I found this article that discusses some of the cons of conditioning thread for embroidery:
https://www.needlenthread.com/2018/03/on-thread-conditioning-beeswax-for-embroidery.html

I've read of beaders waxing their silk, but this is the first time I've seen it used with Beader's Secret, and am curious about how the thread (which is polyester) behaves when waxed. Edit: I see you use it to make the needle easier to thread. I can see where that would help, on the thread end.

My dad was a tailor, my mother a dressmaker. I never saw beeswax in our home or among their sewing supplies. I still have a number of their spools of thread, including machine grade silk, cotton, nylon, polyester; none of the spools of any kind are pre-waxed.

PD you are are an encyclopedia of information! Thank you for always sharing! :eek:

When I thread a needle to sew or for knotting, I...well now that I am about to write it out, it just sounds weird, i moisten with my lips ��

I do that, too. If I don't succeed in threading the needle the first time, I trim the thread on the diagonal (so there is a point) with a sharp pair of scissors and try again. :)

Threading the sewing machine can be a bit tricky as I am looking close up out of the intermediate segment of my progressive eyeglasses, not the reading segment. I place my finger behind the needle to provide a bit of color contrast, so I can see the eye of the needle better. That generally does the trick. Maybe someday I'll have to resort to using a needle threader, or switch to my readers (separate glasses) just to thread the needle.
Gee, but it's fun getting old. :rolleyes:

It sounds like you need some of Patty's big eye needles. No problem threading those. The eye is 3 inches long and wide.

It's only sewing needles that are a (minor) challenge for me; beading needles are easy to thread. :)

I use a discontinued item called Thread Heaven. I think it's more silicon based. I found beeswax gunked up my needles and fabric and attracted dirt. I don't use either when beading though. Only for basic handsewing.

Thank you for the tip simply adorned! PD, I always appreciate your wisdom :). I think, since I've used the beeswax for making ni'ihau jewelry, I transitioned the same jewelry making with Pearls.
I guess the way my scissors cut it, it slightly fray so I wax:)

@Abi It's 2023 and I have read the entire account of your terrible experience of having your beloved jewels stolen (what a terrible thing to have to experience)...then you found two beautiful strands, and they truly are gorgeous. By now you have worn (and enjoyed) your new creations for years. If you're still on this board...would love to see them today :)

Last edited:
Back