Ssp? And should I restring right away?

greengage

Hello pearl experts,
I received a strand of pearls from my grandmother that I heard she bought in the last few years. They are graduaded up to ~11mm. Can anyone confirm that they are South Sea and are they consider good quality? I’m posting pics alone and also alongside a strand of akoyas that I bought from Pearl Paradise (8.5 mm).

My other question is whether I should restring bc I can’t see individual knots between the larger pearls even though they are very apparent around the clasp. Thank you so much! CE57012A-3948-45AA-AECB-3E8DEE718180.jpg74F9446E-A1EC-4B3E-B3E7-B7E95DD35E99.jpg40DCF66A-971C-4F01-B033-79AD65216D6A.jpg7FD83385-35D7-4608-A9D7-B21FBCBDF8D8.jpg7ECB3834-4AB9-4225-B40C-B89175B8B79B.jpg

They look like SSP to me.

Are you sure there are no knots between the larger pearls? I have read that there are knotting techniques that make the knots seem almost invisible (I think it was Paspaley that knots this way.

Edit: Here's a link to the post about invisible knotting: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/s...-Paspaley-Pearls&p=17428&viewfull=1#post17428

Do you like the way the necklace hangs? The length? If so, I would leave it alone. Knots would add flexibility and make it slightly longer.

BTW it looks lovely-- how about posting a neck shot? :)

Last edited:
Gorgeous! :)

Honestly as long as the magnetic clasp feels secure, I'd leave the strand alone. It hangs beautifully and is a great length on you.

If the pearls do not slide around and the necklace hangs well, I'd wear it as is. It looks gorgeous.

Oooh, what a lovely strand, they look stunning on you.

Those are beautiful pearls. I hope your grandmother enjoyed them, as well.

Thank you so much everyone, for the input! I think you all are right that the knots are likely just buried (why else would they only knot near the top half). And yes, I’m glad that my grandmother wore it for some time too so I feel like I have a bit of her strength and grace with me when I wear it.

Wow, those are amazing! Rest easy about the knots. They can put beveled edges on the central pearls to make them curve better and the knots fit just out of view.

Welcome Greengage. You look wonderful in your grandmother’s gorgeous pearls; what a lovely remembrance of her!

Thank you so much, everyone! I'm a huge pearl lover and am glad to have found this forum.

Back