"Souffle' Pearls"

I'm finally on my way back from China. I did some digging into the whole souffle thing while here. It turns out that there are only two technicians in China that know the method and total production right now is only around 200 kilos, and all of the production is in Hunan. They've had difficulty moving them because pearls are sold by weight, so after the pearls are purchased, the factories drill and drain them - effectively draining 50% of their investment. It makes them quite expensive.

Souffle Pearl Photos

Souffle Pearl Photos

Jeremy:

On the surface (no pun intended) that makes total sense. The irony of China is that the "communists" who live there have the world's keenest capitalist sensibilities. If the Chinese can't account for the discrepancies in weight/value before and after drilling the world economy is in more trouble than we think. It's like selling steaks by weight before and after cooking. This isn't trigonometry.

I had agents in China last week who reported high quality souffle pearls were nigh impossible to find. I'd be curious to know if you found them scarce, too. I have a decent supply of whites/silvers and multicolors in 13X14MM and 14X15MM in both strands and matched pairs for earrings. The last photo is all sold out. Here are a few pics.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabournpearls/5350351971/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabournpearls/5366810335/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/seabournpearls/5350964606/in/photostream/

With pearls that large, it is probably nice that they are hollow.

Seabourne. Would you consider uploading those pics directly to Pearl-Guide? Those flikr photos always expire leaving people who find the thread later without pix. which lessens the educational value of the thread. This is primarily an educational site though interested people will seek sellers out. If you have a webpage, feel welcome to post a link in your signature, but be sure to make a reciprocal link on your site.

Also feel free to describe who you are and something about your business.

Yes, Please, as Caitlin said! Many times I've been disappointed when a photo has expired, and these are simply gorgeous.

Yes, Please, as Caitlin said! Many times I've been disappointed when a photo has expired, and these are simply gorgeous.

Dear Lisa and Caitlin:

But of course. If you would be so kind as to tell me how to post the pictures directly I would be all too happy to oblige. However, the insert image icon requests an URL so I'm not at all clear how to add photos without redirecting. Life is hard when one has a crocodilian brain.

Souffle Pearl Photos

Souffle Pearl Photos

Here are some of the souffle pearls we have at Seabourn Pearls. We specialize in baroque and unusual pearl shapes, styles and colors (natural only) in fine freshwater and saltwater pearls.

Attachments

• Rainbow Souffles.jpg
    Rainbow Souffles.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 42
  • Souffle pairs.jpg
    Souffle pairs.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 713.jpg
    713.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 51
  • 719.jpg
    719.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 37
Oh my goodness, those are beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.
Marianne

Bear with me folks. Hard to believe I'm using all 15% of my brain right now. Here's what you're looking at: 1) 14X15.5MM White Souffle Pearls 2) 13X14MM Multicolor Souffle Pearls in Bronze Purple Hues 3) 13X14MM and 14X15.5MM Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat Souffle Pearls 4) 14X15 Silver Souffle Pearl earring pairs

The absence of a shell bead nucleus and the drainage of the mud inside Souffle pearls gives them a reduced heft that makes them ideal for earrings. Admittedly, the baroque and uneven surfaces can make it challenging to securely attach findings with adhesives. This hurdle is hardly insurmountable. For a big, shimmering earring these lustrous hollow core pearls are a much easier burden for the lobe to carry than a bead nucleated pearl of equal or even lesser size.

Ben Johnson
Seabourn Pearls
http://seabournpearls.com/
http://seabournpearls.com/blog

Loose Souffle Pearls

Loose Souffle Pearls

I have a fair number of loose undrilled souffles too. Here's a selection. I do find these souffles truly beguiling. This group is especially rondure.

Souffles11.jpg

I own several pearls that are in that photo. And the photo was featured here last year just before the Tucson show.

Jack Lynch sent me that picture directly a year or two ago and gave me permission to use it. It's the best quality photo I have on file for showing the range of colors and the ideal shape for souffle pearls. I should have credited Jack on the photo. More to the point, it was stupid and sloppy of me to grab a dated photo off my hard drive rather than take the time to shoot something new and fresh. You were right to call me on this and I apologize for my sloppiness and the misunderstanding. Contritely, Ben

Can somebody buy these strands, please? Quickly, please? Before I commit the ultimate stupidity.

Well Ramona - you can always return them - but when Jeremy said the supply is limited - he's not kidding, when GemGeek and I were out there on Monday - there are very very few of these available. Talk about exclusive! And the 14% off coupon doesn't hurt - I think that's one of the larger discounts I've seen him do, Christmas was only 12%. It will be interesting to hear from GemGeek and others going to Tuscon how the Souffle supply chain is looking right now since this seems to be been a hit last year at the show.

Back