Some of my odd pearl creations

Wow!! I love your beetle necklace!! It's unusual and very beautiful. I love art nouveau too. Your necklace reminds me of Alphonse Mucha's work.

Thanks - that's the ultimate compliment, as I love Mucha. One of these days, I must make a drippy elaborate headpiece...dripping with pearls, of course!

Sheri

Its gorgeous! Tell us about the beetle, please. Mumified? Enameled? Not that I'm going to do it, mind you, but I am curious!

Other puns:

"Low mileage, worn once to a Beatles concert,"

"Betelgeuse. Betelgeuse! Betel ...!"

Thanks - that's the ultimate compliment, as I love Mucha. One of these days, I must make a drippy elaborate headpiece...dripping with pearls, of course!

Sheri

My compliments on this lovely necklace. I don?t really like the idea of a live-beetle but I love the goldwork (or whatever metal this is) and the shape of the whole necklace. Pearls do look lovely in every kind of jewellery but even the stones you chose are perfect for this necklace.:)

Its gorgeous! Tell us about the beetle, please. Mumified? Enameled? Not that I'm going to do it, mind you, but I am curious!

Other puns:

"Low mileage, worn once to a Beatles concert,"

"Betelgeuse. Betelgeuse! Betel ...!"

Hmmm...I guess you would qualify the beetle as mummified...it's just dead, to put it bluntly, but I'm sure the innards are quite dessicated. These beetles have a hard exoskeleton that is very tough - like a shell. They actually used little beetles a lot in Victorian jewelery; I have a few period pieces that inspired me. I love the iridescence.

To protect the beetle from pests (sometimes little boring insects drill through the outer shells to get to the innards, not to gross anybody out...) I used the high-tech technique of coating both sides with clear nail polish.

The pendant is a combination of brass and copper.

Sheri

Well, I learn at least one new thing every day, today it is about beetles in jewelry!!! It's a beautiful design, and a true conversation piece. Thanks, Sheri!

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

It's been a while since I added to this thread, but thought I'd show off my latest creation - I call this one "beauty and the beast". I got the abalone pearl a while back, but wasn't sure exactly what I would do with it, as it had a large deep hole at the top. The beast (it's 1-1/4" wide by almost 1-3/4" long!) is accompanied by the beauty, a light pinkish gold off round south sea pearl that's almost 15mm. Not for sale; I wore it to bed last night:D

Sheri

Attachments

• HPIM1997.jpg
    HPIM1997.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 44
That's gorgeous, Sheri.
If it were mine, I'd re-name it Beauty and The Best......:D

I like your Beauty & Beast a lot. Love the contrast of those two pearls !!!

That's a great juxtaposition of pearls, Sheri. Very imaginative and a lovey combination.

That's a great use of the natural form, Sheri. Beautiful.

Nice pendant Sheri!

No hanky panky in bed with that around your neck, right? :p

DK :D

O.K., another rainy day here, what better excuse to photograph some pearls! Here are my latest two creations. Both the necklace and the earrings feature lower-quality but still quite lovely Tahitian pearls from our favorite Tahitian pearl farmer. The earrings were made with some bronze findings featuring stylized Chinese bats, made by a good friend of mine. The necklace, which I think of as "peas in a pod in an alternate universe", is made with faceted bronze and copper beads, vermeil, and a piece of abalone shell.

I've learned that when I'm clogged up with a cold, and feel like doing nothing else, playing with pearls is quite therapeutic.

Sheri

Attachments

• HPIM2182.jpg
    HPIM2182.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 43
  • 21832184.jpg
    21832184.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 53
  • HPIM2186.jpg
    HPIM2186.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 42
  • HPIM2199.jpg
    HPIM2199.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 40
Wow, these creations are fabulous; I love all the little details you have put into your beauties!

Back