Small Tahitians in style?

Define small for me, please.

I believe "small" would be considered 8-9mm, correct?

To be totally honest, most of the Tahitian sales that I conduct are in the larger size ranges of 11-13mm and up. When most ladies are in the market to spend a few thousand dollars on a Tahitian necklace, the most frequent request I hear is for the larger sizes that these pearls are known for.

I don't think too many expect Tahitian black pearls below 10mm.. no...

Adding to the question rather then the answer here: I am wondering if the recent popularity of rope lengths is not going to give a special place to the smaller black pearls. :rolleyes:

After all, for the traditional larger sizes of 'Tahitian' pearl colors one would mostly see rope necklaces in ... commercial advertisements and hardly ever on the shelves of jewelers catering to financially daring clients. :eek: If the rumors that larger blacks trickling down are right, their scarce presence at aspiration prices could only help a new form of presentation for the same pearl color... methinks. [add lots and lots of salt: this is an economist who does not sell pearls and likes rope strands writing!]

However, on another note, there are customers that would like to own Tahitians that cannot afford the smaller sizes. Tahitians are not currently know for their smaller sizes and that is the main reason customers do not ask for them. If there were smaller sizes available, I can certainly see customers who do not like large pearls interested in these.

I would go for the small size, may be 8 to 10 mm graduated. I wear petite sizes, and even though I feel comfortable wearing the 8 to 11 mm baroque freshwater from Pearl Paradise, I don't think I can pull off round pearls that are > 10 mm :).

Regards,
pernula

Love the way these smaller Tahitians are used--in the 9mm range, although Carolyn Ehret has designed some similar earrings with slightly smaller pearls--photo by DruzyDesign, used with permission.
carolyn's earrings.jpg

I think they can be spaced with chain on a necklace for a more casual effect, but beautiful. IMO

Pattye
so many pearls, so little time

Thanks for another answer avalanche everyone.
Small in Tahiti means 7 and 8mm. Sorry to not have clarified before hand. They can be used to finish a graduated strand but I think they look best on rings and most of all, earrings. I'll try to post some pictures if I can sort out how. I think that if there is not yet a big market then it is waiting to happen. I would think that the lower price point and less ostentatious nature would appeal to a large audience. No?

I swear, Josh, you are killin' me with these gorgeous photos and Fab pearls!! Yes, I have drooled over your website also! Your pearls are amazingly gorgeous and a designer will be inspired by them no matter what the size, that is what strikes me! I am planning to be at Tucson, so see you there! (FYI, DruzyDesign also has a booth at Tucson. One of the few ebay sellers who has amazing pearls and high end designs in 22k, etc. She has stated she likes the smaller sizes and they are very hard to find.)

Pattye

Josh: Thanks for the definition. I was interested in your idea of small. Yes, in Tahitians, I would prefer smaller sizes for precisely the reasons you expressed. Oh my, those waves, you do live in paradise, don't you!

Josh: love your pearls! They would make beautiful earrings or part of a necklace. The last couple of years jewelry in Europe and U.S. tend to be large. Someone remarked that pendants are getting as large as breast plate:rolleyes: . It is probably time for a change in style;) .

Pattye: gorgeous earrings!

Regards,
pernula

Josh, I think you're very correct about the rings (I have one of my own that I adore, but I again liked the larger sizes and selected an exotic teal color about 11mm:cool: ), and we do sell Tahitian Baroque earrings in the smaller 9mm range... bracelets also might be an interesting idea...

It also appears to me that the smaller Tahitians seem to have a more saturated/intense coloration...

Valeria- we are SO on the same page! Mmmm a 60" rope of 7-8mm peacocks... Better yet: multi-colored exotics, Pelosi-style!!!! :p I guess I'll have to wait for the adventurous collector before I can make one, but what a cool project that would be! :rolleyes: Daydreaming away...

Lastly, I am totally jealous of your friend Josh! The color of the water is just unreal, lol...

Two row Tahitian necklace (nested) in the size you mentioned (7-8 mm), or may be 7-9 m, would be gorgeous, IMHO.

The Tahitians in the middle of your tray with the reddish purple overtone/orient would look super-duper with lavender color Freshadama...

Regards,
pernula

Hi Josh,

Well you and your lovely pearls certainly have gotten our attention! Will one have the option of purchasing them drilled or undrilled? Some of us, speaking for myself anyway, would need already drilled.

Pattye

I like the idea of the smaller Tahitians too. Especially in some of the colors you've posted.

Those colors are gorgeous. I probably will be having dreams about them tonight:D .

One question I have is whether the large quantities of dyed CFWP might take away some of the business of smaller-size Tahitian pearls? Recently I went to a jewelry store and the only Tahitian pearls they had were in pendants. They claimed that Tahitian strands take too long to sell so they don't carry them at that location. The only dark pearls they had were dyed CFWP.

pernula

Hi Pernula,

The jeweler is going to have a much smaller investment in the cfwp strands. He could have a pretty big investment in Tahitians! If I were going to purchase Tahitians, I would want multiple strands to pick from! Sometimes a jeweler can bring in a high end collection on "memo", meaning he only pays for what is sold during the time the collection is there. So what he said was probably true, I probably would have tried to say something a bit more positive way!

Pattye

Hi Pattye,

Thanks for your reply:). It makes a lot of sense that some jewelers would prefer to invest and risk less.

It seems to me the "memo" mode of business is pretty low risk, so the mark-up for memo items should be less than normal store display items. Do you know whether that is generally true or not?

Thanks,
pernula

Back