Show us your tin cup pearls

I think they also have a very modern look. My DH also loves my tin cup, he thinks it's very cool. (He's not generally very interested in jewelry -- unfortunately!).

Rebecka the metallic and Tahitian tin cups are 42 inches. Truthfully I don't think I favor one over another. I love them all plus I have another one being designed by Hisano that will be divine.

I love seeing all the tin-cups! I'll try to post a pic one of these days!

i love tin cups! both of mine are from pp. :)

C63nw6nl.jpg
[/url][/IMG]

Rebecka, It sounds like you like to do crafts and work with your hands, so making jewelry might be a lot of fun for you! There are free tutorials on many of the websites that sell supplies, videos on youtube, some good and some not so helpful! As I live in a large city the bead shops often offer classes plus there are several excellent art schools. What might be available where you live?

The Lowly Beaders section here on the forum has a great tutorial by Pearl Dreams (if I recall correctly) showing how to wire wrap basic earrings; being able to do a simple wire wrap is all that is needed to make a tin cup.

Last edited:
Pattye, I don't think I posted such instructions but there are YouTube videos that demonstrate it.

Well, Pearl Dreams, I know you and Caitlin both have given us excellent pearl knotting instructions! I was thinking you had explained to someone how to make a simple pair of earrings with 2 head pins and French hooks. I'll see if I can find it later. (It's quite possible the mind is going, though!)

Hmmm...I think maybe you're remembering my clasp thread:

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=3143

Tomorrow I'll take a photo of my newest tools bought this past month that are helping make more regular wrapped loops. I'm planning to turn my small oval exotics from 2008 into a tin cup for my daughter but I still need to buy the chain for it.

Ckrickett, it's lovely to have something custom made, it makes it extra special. Hisano is truly talented.

Newberry, oh how exciting! When are you expecting your new tin cup (please read: when can we see your new tin cup)?

SunSeeker, please post a photo! :)

Funkypearls, they look great on you!

Pattye, I think I will give jewellery making a go :) I am not quite sure what is available over here, but I am in a big city so I am certain there'll be something.

PearlDreams, that is such a great tutorial!

Thanks for the compliment, Rebecka! Of the two tin cups, I tend to wear the shorter because it's easier to throw on.

Here are the promised photos of tools I bought recently:

The first one (the one I recommend for making tin cup necklaces) is Bail-making pliers, 1.5 and 2mm.
This one is made by Beadsmith. Wubbers makes them as well.

I will be using the smaller of the two loops to wire-wrap my oval exotic pearls for a tin cup necklace.

Here is one place to get them:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/173500...e_active_3&ga_search_query=bail+making+pliers

>>You can buy bail making pliers in many larger sizes as well, various brands. Larger ones can be used to form hooks for clasps and earring findings.

I have always made small loops with my round nose pliers, but when making a number of loops that must all be the same size, the bail making pliers give you consistency, as they are not graduated.

The second and third photos are of the looping pliers I bought initially at Michael's thinking they would do the job. I'm finding these are better for making the largest loops than the smallest, but they can also be used to make interesting shaped loops, like pentagons. As you close the jaws the wire is forced to curve.

The last photo is of a pair of mandrels I bought at Michaels. These can be used to form jump rings.
They can also be used to form hooks and loops, but it requires a bit more dexterity. You'll wish you had a third hand. You may prefer getting larger size bail making pliers if you make a lot of hooks for clasps and earrings or a lot of large loops.

Attachments

• Beadsmith bail making pliers 1.jpg
    Beadsmith bail making pliers 1.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 29
  • Looping pliers from Michael's.jpg
    Looping pliers from Michael's.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 30
  • another view of the looping pliers.jpg
    another view of the looping pliers.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 31
  • set of mandrels for jump rings, loops, hooks.jpg
    set of mandrels for jump rings, loops, hooks.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 29
Pearl Dreams, I am very impressed with anyone who can handle that sort of stuff to make jewelry! I would probably just injure myself.

Such beautiful tin cups, all! Newberry, I LOVE your new white baroque akoya necklace!!! Can hardly wait to see what new treasure Hisano is working on ... :)

Newberry and BAS, so many beautiful necklaces. How do you find the time to wear each one?

Baby nurse, I love your delicate pieces!

Last edited:
Hey PD, thanks for showing us the tools! How do you like the grip on the newest pliers? It looks comfy.

I missed the tutorial for the clasps, glad to see it!

Actually you're both correct; I think Pattye's remembering when you told someone how to make earring dangles via pm and we said "hey, can we know too?" and we sat around having virtual coffee in a virtual kitchen while we waited for her (Renna!) to post again. Let's see if I can find it...so you're right, it wasn't a Tutorial it was sort-of-an-informal-tutorial-by-post.

BTW, strike this if MY memory is pooping out. No, I'll do it mine-szelf...

Hmmm...did it start with a question about finding someone to drill pearls, and Jeremy volunteered after my genius suggestions made such a not-great impression....nope...

Last edited:
When my daughter is home from college this summer to help me with photos, I'll try to do a tutorial of how to make earring charms and other wire-wrapping basics. By then hopefully I'll have made her tin cup strand and include that skill as well.

Back