Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

I tried resaving the photos. See if you can see them now.

I bought my first batch of beetle wings at a weaving conference. The second batch I bought from a bead shop. If you google "beetle wings for sale" you'll find a lot of vendors. If you decide to buy, pay attention if they are predrilled or not. Mine were predrilled with a little hole at the top. If the price is really good, they may not be predrilled and you'll have to drill them yourself.

Last edited:
Oh BWeaves that's amazing!! It's just stunning. I love the colors you picked for the fibers, they work beautifully with the wings. And the pop of copper! I die. If you bring it to Ruckus you may not leave with it, so you might want to leave it at home :D

But seriously, it's stunning. Your weaving is incredible (I love the shawls you wore at Ruckus, too).

I got a packet of beetle wings on Etsy! If you get them from US vendors they're pricier (but still not expensive), but you can get bigger lots from overseas. Mine were drilled and I didn't realize - they're pretty easy to drill so I would have preferred to do it myself. The holes were kind of far down and I would've had to use huge jump rings to accommodate them and allow for movement, so I had to trim them above the holes. And will have to trim the one I want to try bezel-setting, to get rid of the hole.

BWeavea, that's an incredibly special wrap. I've never heard of beetle wings, but they are beautiful! Like a hummingbird's shimmery feathers. Are they fragile? How would you clean a garment constructed with beetle wings?

Wow, the colors on your shawl are breathtaking! The beetle wings are so perfect for the shawl too! That has to be my favorite of your lovely weavings!

Battah, I love the tiny locket. I saw the clip of you turning the pages on Instagram. What a clever idea!!!

I also have some beetle wings that I ordered from Etsy and made some earrings etc. from them. They are so beautiful - I love the color and iridescence. Mine are green gold and blue gold. And not as fragile as one might think. They are kind of tough like fingernails.

The holes in my beetle wings are very near the top edge. It's worth checking with the vendor where the holes are, if they are predrilled.

The wings are very tough. They have to protect a beetle, after all. The ones I've broken are because I stepped on them. The shawl is quite long, and if I bend over or sit down, the bottom can drag on the ground. I've accidentally stepped on the fringe, and that's the only time I've broken the wings. The wings are very light weight, and they do feel like fingernails. That's the best comparison I can make.

My multi color Tahitians in the 20" length came today along with the Fiji strand from Cees. I'm so pleased with them! I think I'm going to really like this harpoon clasp since I can work it with one hand. Once I've healed, I'm going back for another multi color Tahitian necklace that will be in between my 8-10mm at 18" & the new one that's 11-14.9mm at 20". I'd like to stack them. Cees did a fantasic job! Now I have to get the Fiji strand strung.

Attachments

• 20180831_102827.jpg
    20180831_102827.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 20180831_132844.jpg
    20180831_132844.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 21
Beautiful pearls, 86. I can't even tell where the clasp is on the T's.

Today I wore Nana's pearls. Well, OK, the clasp and earrings are Nana's, but I replaced the necklace with Freshadamas, because the old akoyas were worn out. Nana always wore her clasp in front.

fullsizeoutput_896.jpg

I love how the 2 strands look like they are criss crossing through the clasp.

This was Erin at PP's first project. Matching 2 strands of Freshadamas to my akoya clasp. I'm still thrilled with the results. After seeing so many different colors of white pearls, she did a fantastic job getting these matched up.

Beautiful pearls, 86. I can't even tell where the clasp is on the T's.

Today I wore Nana's pearls. Well, OK, the clasp and earrings are Nana's, but I replaced the necklace with Freshadamas, because the old akoyas were worn out. Nana always wore her clasp in front.

View attachment 62135

I love how the 2 strands look like they are criss crossing through the clasp.

This was Erin at PP's first project. Matching 2 strands of Freshadamas to my akoya clasp. I'm still thrilled with the results. After seeing so many different colors of white pearls, she did a fantastic job getting these matched up.

Thanks, BW! Yes, the harpoon clasp just blends right in.
I love the Freshadamas with the Akoya clasp. It's just beautiful!

I love the colors in your T strand, 86Corvettegirl.

I find the harpoon clasp so comfortable. I'm not sure yet how I will restring if the wire ever breaks but I will tackle the challenge if & when the time comes. There must be some clamping mechanism for the wire within the end pearls.

I love the colors in your T strand, 86Corvettegirl.

I find the harpoon clasp so comfortable. I'm not sure yet how I will restring if the wire ever breaks but I will tackle the challenge if & when the time comes. There must be some clamping mechanism for the wire within the end pearls.

Thanks, PD. I really do like the harpoon clasp; it's so easy & doesn't put a break in the pearls.

Your weavings are always so beautiful Bweaves, I did weave some with my grandmother when she was alive, but haven't weaved in years. Also don't have a loom, hers was to big. Needed a room for itself. Sometimes I crochet or knit shawls but they are not as beautiful as yours, I remember seeing one of yours with sewn on little pearls like stars (?) that I really liked. Mostly I quilt when I want to do something with fabric.
86Corvettegirl, those tahitians are faboulous, but how do one restring them? I can't see the clasp either...

BWeaves - once again your weaving is absolutely enchanting. Those beetle wings on the edge are just inspired !!

86Corvette- lovely colours in that Tahitian strand and the harpoon is a great idea. I'm glad you are thrilled with it. I too have no idea how to redo a harpoon...I'm not even sure how the wire is finished inside the clasp.

For some reason I didn’t realize that Fiji pearls came that big or in rounds until this thread. Silly me. Those are both stunning necklaces 86Corvette. I’m looking forward to neck shots once you have use of your arm back!

Bweaves, I’m always in awe of your creations. Your shawl is beautiful.

For some reason I didn’t realize that Fiji pearls came that big or in rounds until this thread. Silly me. Those are both stunning necklaces 86Corvette. I’m looking forward to neck shots once you have use of your arm back!

Bweaves, I’m always in awe of your creations. Your shawl is beautiful.

Thanks, cmd2014! I didn't know about Fiji pearls until I saw a pic of them, then I started doing research reading about them, the small number of farms, the colors, luster, ect. After reading about them, I decided I wanted to add them to my collection so I reached out to Cees. He happen to have 2 strands & I was pleasantly surprised by their size. I just had to buy one. I'm currently looking for a gold clasp for them...something I can manipulate with one hand, maybe an orbit clasp.

I can manipulate the harpoon clasp of the 20" multi Tahitians with one hand so I can wear it while my wrist heals.

Back