seller says are Akoya. True?

Pearly Lady

Seller claims that these are 16 inch, 6mm Akoya pearls with 14kt white gold clasp. Do you think so or they freshwater? What do you think of lustre and I don't know the grade. Seller doesn't either. Your thoughts??? I'm an extreme novice. Thank you

Attachments

• akoya 2.jpg
    akoya 2.jpg
    886 bytes · Views: 39
  • akoya 3.jpg
    akoya 3.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 36
  • akoya.jpg
    akoya.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 36
I can't see the photos yet (pending approval) but you have several threads going asking various questions, such as:

Do you know anything about this ebay seller?

Is this the seller whose photos are in your attachments? I don't know the seller. He seems to have good feedback and seems to deal in vintage items. He offers a refund if you don't want them after all.
Is this the listing? These are the only pearls he is selling right now:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1950s-14K-WG-16-6mm-SINGLE-STRAND-AKOYA-CULTURED-PEARL-NECKLACE-NR-/190791204339?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c6c0a bdf3

I expect they are indeed akoyas, round as they are and vintage clasp. (Akoyas have a bead inside so are going to be rounder than freshwaters, generally speaking.)
They seem to have nice luster. Did you want such small pearls? 6 mm is quite dainty. Also, I see surface flaws on some of the pearls.

thank you for helping to educate me. Is Pearl Paradise the best place to buy a necklace?

Where are you located? PearlParadise is a reputable vendor (I've purchased from them many times), as are all the vendors on this forum. If you are outside the USA you may wish to buy from another seller to avoid import duties.

thank you. I'm looking for a 16 inch 6mm to 7mm AA or AAA grade Akoya necklace. Where is the best place to find nice necklace at a good price?

Again, check out PearlParadise, The Pearl Outlet among others on the forum.

I have a question for you: Have you considered top grade freshwaters instead of akoyas? The best ones (earring grade pearls that were drilled and strung as necklaces) have wonderful luster and are round to the eye.

Check out these; you may even be able to afford a larger pearl size for your budget:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/Freshad...klaces248.aspx

Last edited by a moderator:
yes, thank you so much. Those were the pearls that I was considering bidding on. I was looking for smaller pearls b/c I'm a small woman with a small frame, size 4-5, 5'5 inches. I'm looking for necklace to wear with my wedding gown-sweatheart neckline. Dress is already ornate so didn't need anything too overpowering. I love pearls so plan to wear with other outfits later.

No, I hadn't considered top grade freshwaters instead of Akoyas. Why are you recommending that? I just figured that akoya's had better quality.

Would you say that the pearls in the picture you posted are AA or A? I know they aren't AAA. Seller doesn't know. He's not a pearl expert.

Thank you so much

Several thoughts here:

• Color of your wedding gown? Seller says his are "medium cream" colored. If your gown is cream colored these may go better than if gown is white.

• Why top grade freshwaters? They are solid nacre and will last a lifetime, while akoyas have a very thin covering of nacre over a bead and will wear out if worn much.
Even the very best akoyas only have about 1/2 mm (+/- a bit) of nacre. Have you looked at what that looks like on a ruler? That is pretty thin! I will say that the older akoya strands (decades ago) have thicker nacre in general than modern ones do, because the oysters used to be left in the water longer. For various reasons they are harvested earlier nowadays.

Now, if you only plan to wear your pearls occasionally, akoyas should last nicely, but if you plan to wear them often, freshwaters are the better choice in my opinion.
Here is a photo of my Freshadama strand (7-8mm)-- you will see they have very nice luster: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10435&d=1222185178

Another benefit of buying freshwaters is that they cost less than akoyas. So you can afford to buy some matching earrings, maybe? :)
Or even a set with necklace, bracelet and earrings, like this one:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/6570-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set922.aspx

• I can't assign a grade to the pearls in the auction. Apart from the fact that there are no closeups of the pearls, there is no standard for what A, AA or AAA means; each vendor has his or her own way of grading. I do see at least 2 pearls with obvious flaws.

Akoyas and Freshwaters differ in their luster in that akoyas have a more metallic, harder luster while freshwaters tend to glow more from within. Some people really do prefer the "look" of an akoya strand, and that is simply a matter of taste.

Last edited:
Hi and congratulations,

Akoya pearls have been around a lot longer than high quality freshwater pearls. That's why they have a better reputation. That - and the price. If something cost that much more it's got to be better... :)

- Karin

But...some freshwaters are nicer than some akoyas. I have seen some truly awful akoyas -- I even bought some from a Chinese seller once, which were SO bad I disassembled them to use the clasp, which was also junky but better than the pearls.

If perfect roundness is a priority, then akoyas are the way to go.

Last edited:
Several thoughts here:

• Color of your wedding gown? Seller says his are "medium cream" colored. If your gown is cream colored these may go better than if gown is white.

My gown is creme.

• Why top grade freshwaters? They are solid nacre and will last a lifetime, while akoyas have a very thin covering of nacre over a bead and will wear out if worn much.
Even the very best akoyas only have about 1/2 mm (+/- a bit) of nacre. Have you looked at what that looks like on a ruler? That is pretty thin! I will say that the older akoya strands (decades ago) have thicker nacre in general than modern ones do, because the oysters used to be left in the water longer. For various reasons they are harvested earlier nowadays.

Now, if you only plan to wear your pearls occasionally, akoyas should last nicely, but if you plan to wear them often, freshwaters are the better choice in my opinion.

I probably will wear them occasionally.

Here is a photo of my Freshadama strand (7-8mm)-- you will see they have very nice luster: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=10435&d=1222185178

Another benefit of buying freshwaters is that they cost less than akoyas. So you can afford to buy some matching earrings, maybe? :)
Or even a set with necklace, bracelet and earrings, like this one:
http://www.pearlparadise.com/6570-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Set922.aspx
Those are nice but I noticed that they are white. I'm looking for creme.

• I can't assign a grade to the pearls in the auction. Apart from the fact that there are no closeups of the pearls, there is no standard for what A, AA or AAA means; each vendor has his or her own way of grading. I do see at least 2 pearls with obvious flaws.

With those flaws, what do you think a fair price would be for them? Better to buy new than used even if can get used at a good price? (due to no wear)

Akoyas and Freshwaters differ in their luster in that akoyas have a more metallic, harder luster while freshwaters tend to glow more from within. Some people really do prefer the "look" of an akoya strand, and that is simply a matter of taste.

Thank you. My gown is creme. I plan on wearing the pearls occasionally. The Pearl Paradise ones you listed are nice but I noticed that they are white. I'm looking for creme.
In regards to the one for sale on ebay, With those flaws, what do you think a fair price would be for them? Better to buy new than used even if can get used at a good price? (due to no wear)
would you recommend a AAA creme strand of Freshwater over a AA strand of Akoya?

I looked closer at the details of the eBay seller's return policy and it says:

"Returns are always at my discretion and will not be given for "Buyer's Remorse". Any refunds will not include shipping charges."

So, he may not refund if you find you don't like the pearls on receiving them. And there are no close-up photos. Please take that into consideration when bidding. Only you can decide how much money you are willing to risk with that policy. On the other hand, he did refund the previous customer, see the first feedback which says, "This seller is very accommodating & accepted my return quickly & professionally." (I wonder what was wrong with her item?)

On PearlParadise, the drop-down menu offers cream overtones for akoyas ("Select overtone").
You can phone PP and ask if they have Freshadamas with cream overtones; I had a choice of overtones when I bought mine, and chose silver ros?.
Items bought from PP are returnable as long as they have not been customized. If in doubt, ask before ordering.

I'm not sure what to say. Some people love vintage strands of akoyas and prefer them over the new ones. I have a few vintage akoya strands, bought for a song, and they have little scratches and such on them when viewed close up. (People don't always care for their pearls well; they are often stored with other jewelry, which can scratch them.) They are beautiful anyway, and I paid little for them, but I like my new freshwaters better than my vintage akoyas. As I said, it's a matter of taste, and there is no right or wrong to it.

I don't own any new akoyas; if I had the money to blow, I would buy PP's naturally white Hanadama akoyas, but they are very white and would not match your dress. The other akoyas don't appeal to me, but that is just me.

Go with your gut! What is your gut telling you? This is for your wedding-- it should be what you want! My opinion only reflects my own taste, and perhaps also my aversion to risk when buying.

Last edited:
Again, check out PearlParadise, The Pearl Outlet among others on the forum.

who are the "others on the forum" who are selling quality for good price? I just joined here yesterday so I really don't have a clue. Thank you for your help :)

Re: Your question about the pearls on eBay. As a comparison, I bought a very nice 24 inch necklace of 7mm pearls with a plain 14k clasp for $34 on eBay and a 29 inch necklace of graduated baroque pearls with a tiny diamond in the 14k clasp for $88. The pearls in the auction look nice. I wouldn't pay that much for them, but that's me. I am wondering how the seller can date them to the fifties and Pearl Dreams made a good call on the refund policy. If you absolutely love the strand, go for it. If not, I'd say look around some more.

My personal preference is vintage akoya. To my eye, the shapes are very pleasing. Other people prefer other types of pearls. If you're able, before you buy look at both akoya and freshwater pearls in person. These pearls are always going to be special to you, but it's nice if you can love them for more than the memories they represent.

Re: Your question about the pearls on eBay. As a comparison, I bought a very nice 24 inch necklace of 7mm pearls with a plain 14k clasp for $34 on eBay and a 29 inch necklace of graduated baroque pearls with a tiny diamond in the 14k clasp for $88. The pearls in the auction look nice. I wouldn't pay that much for them, but that's me. I am wondering how the seller can date them to the fifties and Pearl Dreams made a good call on the refund policy. If you absolutely love the strand, go for it. If not, I'd say look around some more.

My personal preference is vintage akoya. To my eye, the shapes are very pleasing. Other people prefer other types of pearls. If you're able, before you buy look at both akoya and freshwater pearls in person. These pearls are always going to be special to you, but it's nice if you can love them for more than the memories they represent.

Thank you. I am in the beginning stages of my "hunt". I did go into a jewlery store and looked at both akoya and freshwater but the selection wasn't good. The akoya ones were a a pretty creme while the freshwater ones were more of a light ivory so just based upon that I didn't like the freshwater ones. However, if I understand correctly, I can get a a high quality freshwater that is of better quality than a AAA akoya http://www.pearlparadise.com/7580-mm-White-Freshadama-Freshwater-Pearl-Necklace746.aspx. At least that's what the guy at Pearl Paradise told me.

They don't have any creme ones in now. He told me to call back next month. What's your opinion of creme freshwaters vs creme akoya's in regards to value, durability, retaining it's value?

I only plan on buying one necklace and I don't have a lot of money so I want to make the wisest choice possible. I could go with a smaller 6.5-7mm Akoya or a 7.5-8mm Freshadama.

Another question: is Pearl Paradise the only place that sells Freshadama's for a good price?

We are the only ones that carry freshadama - it's our trademark.

However, if I understand correctly, I can get a a high quality freshwater that is of better quality than a AAA akoya. At least that's what the guy at Pearl Paradise told me.

I think there was a misunderstanding there. We believe overall freshadama are a better value than AAA akoya.

We are the only ones that carry freshadama - it's our trademark.

I think there was a misunderstanding there. We believe overall freshadama are a better value than AAA akoya.
Ok. thanks. So, freshadama it is :) Pearl Paradise "the" place to buy them?

As to the size issue, buy the size that looks best on your neck! Try on different sizes at your local jeweler if you aren't sure.

If you really want akoyas, go for it. You said you don't plan to wear them often, so they should last well enough in that case.

As to the size issue, buy the size that looks best on your neck! Try on different sizes at your local jeweler if you aren't sure.

If you really want akoyas, go for it. You said you don't plan to wear them often, so they should last well enough in that case.

Ahhh, I thought "freshadama" was a "grade". I didn't know that it was just PP's lingo for "highest quality freshwater". So, "gem grade" is the same thing?? Is there another term out there for this grade that I should know about?

Pearly Lady, PP was the first to take earring grade freshwater pearls and drill them to sell as necklaces. "Freshadama" is PP's trademarked name for these pearls-- it's a catchy composite of "Hanadama" (which refers to akoya pearls that have been certified by the Pearl Science Lab in Japan as meeting certain high criteria of excellence) and "freshwater." Other vendors followed suit, giving the pearl line their own name. I don't know if anyone else is currently selling earring grade freshwaters as necklaces. TPO used to but I don't see them on their website now.

You may enjoy reading this old thread posted when the Freshadama line was new: https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540

Last edited:
Pearl Lady, my advice is to forget all the "categories" of pearls, what you want is a HIGH quality pearl that goes well with your wedding dress, it matters not whether it is Akoya, Freshadama,Tahitian, South Set; all meaningless unless it is a high quality pearl. It is the quality that makes the pearl, not the name. Admittedly from what I am reading the Freshadama are automatically high quality. But Akoyas are not, nor any other varieties. Buy your pearls from an experienced seller with high reputation that allows for returns, stretch your budget, buy the finest quality you can afford. You will automatically get more for your money in Freshwater as they are easier and quicker to cultivate. Just remember it is the pearls itself that is important and not any labels. On the home page of this forum are categories where you can learn more about judging pearl quality, and also Pearl Paradise has some good information on his site. And I can tell you from my experience that even if you think you might not wear them much later on in life, you will. So if you buy good quality, they will last until you are old and cranky, and last for your daughter and her daughter. Have a wonderful wedding.

Daddys Little Pearl

They don't have any creme ones in now. He told me to call back next month. What's your opinion of creme freshwaters vs creme akoya's in regards to value, durability, retaining it's value?

I only plan on buying one necklace and I don't have a lot of money so I want to make the wisest choice possible. I could go with a smaller 6.5-7mm Akoya or a 7.5-8mm Freshadama.

As Pearl Dreams noted, tissue nucleated freshwater pearls would be more durable than akoyas. How durable your pearls need to be depends on how often you're going to wear them. It sounds like you plan to keep it to special occasions mostly, so durability is probably a secondary consideration. Akoyas, unless they're a big name brand or have a clasp with gemstones and precious metal, won't hold their value; I don't know about freshwater pearls. Regarding size, do you have a beaded necklace you think looks good on you or can you try on some that belong to friends or family? That's a good way to decide on size. As for overall value, it boils down to personal opinion. If you deal with a reputable vendor, you'll find something you love at a fair price and that's a good value.

...Akoyas, unless they're a big name brand or have a clasp with gemstones and precious metal, won't hold their value; I don't know about freshwater pearls....

I think pearls generally don't hold their value for resale purposes, unless they are are historically significant.

Back