Regula White vs Natural White Hanadama akoya

LittleRed

Community member
I’m sure this has been covered before but a search with the terms “white, natural white” brings up a whole, big variety of threads.

I’d love to see pictures of your white and/or natural white akoyas.

I’ve gotten a picture from PP, which helps, but I’d love real life examples too.
natural white vs regular white hanadama

Thank you! This is helpful. I originally thought I’d want “natural white” akoyas because I tend to like natural things, but I’m thinking “white” is what I’m ultimately looking for. I want the pearls I get to be a bit creamy; not yellow-y nor stark white.

The quality of light is so important to see colours! It would be interesting to know how pearls colours are changing under more or less UV quantity in the light. We don't see UV ourself, these waves don't spread like others, but fluorescence effects make often colours varying among them without we are able to understand what it's happening.

Last edited:
Older akoya pearls can be a bit creamy. I got this strand at a consignment shop last year:

Attachments

• Consignment shop akoyas with 14K diamond clasp.jpg
    Consignment shop akoyas with 14K diamond clasp.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 53
Your original photo from PP is exactly what my Natural White Hanadamas and pinked baroque akoyas from PP look like. I don't think I could take a better photo. I also have pinked Hanadama earrings and they look great with my Natural White Hanadama rope.

I love both colors of pearls. You really cannot go wrong with either color. The pink color neutralizes itself when worn against skin and looks white.

I figured I’d throw in my example too. Comparison of natural white and white hanadamas from PP. the naturals were more metallic, but I found it made them look a bit too yellow against my skin so I went with the regular ones.

Comparison of natural white and white hanadamas from PP. the naturals were more metallic
Comparison of natural white and white hanadamas from Pearl Paradise. the naturals were more metallic

One more... the naturals look a lot more white in this photo. I have to admit I was torn. Loved the metallic sharp luster of the naturals, but the regular ones almost had this supernatural glow to them when I put them on. Hard to explain.

Loved the metallic sharp luster of the naturals, but the regular ones almost had this supernatural glow to them when I put them on

There are pearls for every skin tone! The fun is in finding what looks best on you.

I personally prefer "regular" Hanadama, the rose overtones adds another layer of interest to the pearls.

But it's all personal preference...

There is no right or wrong to pearls . Not everything, no matter how rare or expensive, looks good on everyone. Gold SS are a good example. Sometimes the less expensive colours suit one better than the very dark gold. You just go with what looks best on you and grabs your heart! They are both beautiful strands !

I think that might be the case for me. I would love to try some golden south seas in a paler color for myself, since I’m sadly just too light to pull off the gorgeous golds!

... I would love to try some golden south seas in a paler color for myself, since I’m sadly just too light to pull off the gorgeous golds!

Are you sure? My daughter's skin is considerably fairer than mine, but she can easily wear my deep golden south sea pearls.

Golden South Sea strand on my daughter's fair skin

I am the opposite. There is a depth and glow to the natural whites that I love. But it is absolutely a preference.

The natural whites are so stunning to look at, almost ethereal. I loved the way they looked in my hand so much. I had a hard time putting them down!

Are you sure? My daughter's skin is considerably fairer than mine, but she can easily wear my deep golden south sea pearls.

View attachment 60541

I’m going to have to try some different things on. My skin is a very light ivory color with a strong yellow undertone, so I have found some golds to be too overpowering. Although gold is such a complex color, I’m sure the right strand is out there for me!

Here are my pinked hanadamas which I happen to be wearing today. They do look white on my skin:

Here are my pinked hanadamas

(If anyone wants to right the photo, feel free!)

Back