Question about this necklace

ame546

This necklace is stated to have 11-13 mm tahitian pearls, 18" long, with an 18k white gold clasp. It's a highly "discounted" higher end jewelry store necklace. Is this nice for a woman? is it worth 1800-1900, or can you do better in this price range. She already has a nice peacock colored strand, so this was different. Sorry if this forum isn't the right place for this question but I have no idea. Screen Shot 2017-05-04 at 1.12.17 PM.jpg

This necklace is stated to have 11-13 mm tahitian pearls, 18" long, with an 18k white gold clasp. It's a highly "discounted" higher end jewelry store necklace. Is this nice for a woman? is it worth 1800-1900, or can you do better in this price range. She already has a nice peacock colored strand, so this was different. Sorry if this forum isn't the right place for this question but I have no idea. View attachment 50909

lg.jpg is this a better pic? can't zoom on the other-looks bad

I'll let the experts comment but for Tahitians of that size and roundness, the price seems good to me. They appear to be silver-grey with subtle overtones, and I can't see any blemishing. They don't appear to be very lustrous though but it could just be the picture. Have you seen them in person? Are they from a bricks and mortar jewellery store or online? Is the store reputable/well known? And is that a stock image or the actual strand you would receive?

I have seen this necklace on the website selling it. The listing states "This item is final sale and non-returnable." This makes it a riskier purchase as Tahitian pearls often look different in person than they do in a photo under studio lighting.

Other Tahitian pearl necklaces on the same vendor site that I would have thought were unique necklaces have "3 left" or "1 left" on their listings, indicating the photo is representative and that you won't necessarily get the one in the photo.

The listing for your strand doesn't state how many are left but it also doesn't state that you will get the exact necklace in the photo. The fact that the pearl size is rounded off (11-13mm, not 11.1-13.2, for example) makes me think it may a representative photo and you might not get the exact necklace shown. I would think you'd want to know that before buying.

It is tara pearls brand. Pearl Dreams saw it-it's a non returnable necklace, and not because it's a scam-because it's the type of site that sells it at "liquidation" prices. saks fifth use to have it at retail of ~6k. The price point seems reasonable at 1800ish but I agree, these things look different in person. I have been to some of these sites you all recommended, but they don't seem to have a strand as round as this, with those sizes at that price point. most I have seen list necklaces like that at 3000-5000. Customer service told me that this is a pic of the exact necklace you receive. My wife currently has a near round to baroque-ish peacock strand that's 8-10 mm. I was looking for something bigger and round-around 11-13 mm. I'm not against a beautiful peacock with blues and greens, but am just stuck and don't want to get ripped off.

Either way, just went to pull the link on gilt.com-it sold... Someone here buy it???

ame546, are you sure it sold? I just looked and it still seems to be there. It isn't marked "sold".

Brick and mortar stores will always sell at a higher price point than online stores. That said, it's true that round necklaces in that size range tend to cost more than $1900. If it turns out that this was actually sold to someone else, you might want to check Pearl Paradise during the summer when they sometimes have sales on Tahitians, and many strands are available to choose from.

It is tara pearls brand. Pearl Dreams saw it-it's a non returnable necklace, and not because it's a scam-because it's the type of site that sells it at "liquidation" prices. saks fifth use to have it at retail of ~6k. The price point seems reasonable at 1800ish but I agree, these things look different in person. I have been to some of these sites you all recommended, but they don't seem to have a strand as round as this, with those sizes at that price point. most I have seen list necklaces like that at 3000-5000. Customer service told me that this is a pic of the exact necklace you receive. My wife currently has a near round to baroque-ish peacock strand that's 8-10 mm. I was looking for something bigger and round-around 11-13 mm. I'm not against a beautiful peacock with blues and greens, but am just stuck and don't want to get ripped off.

Either way, just went to pull the link on gilt.com-it sold... Someone here buy it???

I would be very cautious with this necklace at this price point. To me, it seems a little too cheap for near round pearls...as another person mentioned, the luster seems to be off. It's somewhat difficult to tell what the level of blemishing is on the pearls, or even whether the photos have been photo shopped (which often happens at retail sites...just google photo shop fails and you'll see what I mean). Just offering my opinion, but if it were me I would pass, $1800 is a lot to gamble with.

Thanks for the advice. You made me nervous enough to pass. I guess I wouldn't assume a major retailer would photoshop, but the non return policy is enough to pass. I will keep looking on the sites you all mentioned if something comes up.

I agree with the others; this seems a bit risky, when there are several other vendors that offer quality pearls and a return policy, if needed.

Steel grey with maybe little overtone as you can't tell in pictures. Sometimes they look like they have overtones but its a reflection from the photographers wardrobe or something nearby. If something is not quite right with it hence it stuck around long enough to get a clearance with no refund its best not to waste the money. Does she look good in grays? Will she them need earrings in this color?

Lovely thought & gift if it turns out nice but not so good if its just off in some way.

Pearls on top right of clasp are a bit browner gray & to me the pearls look sort of matt & lack life.

Will check out those vendors myself. I have thought tahitians were out of my market but I see there are ways to work out a strand if its off roundish. I don't mind if the color is there.

Last edited:
Back