Question about golden SSP

Isi

Hello, I am new on this forum, I am from Paris. I have been reading this forum for some time now ; I a m a real pearl-lover, mainly interested in natural pearls, but I can make an exception for a beautiful cultured pearl ! And this is just what I have done. I have treated myself with a pendant with a golden south sea pearl, button shaped, 12,5mm in diameter.
I bought it from a very reputable jeweller and it wasn't hard to make him write on the invoice that the colourof the pearl was natural, and undyed. But then he looked so surprised when I asked him the question, that I realized he wasn't aware that golden pearls might be treated and dyed !
The colour is so deep that of course I can't help having a suspicion. Of course we have a very reliable lab in Paris... But a little bit expensive too...
I have been watching closely the surface of the pearl and I notices that the colour is not quite homogeneous. On the main part the colour is deep gold with orangy overtones but near the base of the button, it turns slightly lighter with more greenish reflects.
In your opinion might this be a good indication that the pearl is untreated ? I should suppose that on a dyed pearl the colour would be rather even on the whole surface ?
I attach a picture of the pearl. The colour is not as dark as it looks ; I have tried to take a picture with and without flash. With the flash the colour was definitely too light and very far from reality.
Thanks to everybody !

Attachments

• perle gold 003.jpg
    perle gold 003.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 36
Hi Isi,
Welcome to the forum. :)
I'm not knowledeable enough to answer your question, but I'm sure someone who is will be along soon.
It is a gorgeous pendant, and I love the setting.

I don't know that the question can be definitively answered from a picture. Dying doesn't necessarily give even coverage. Neither does nature.

But it does nudge me gently in the untreated direction... Dyeing pearls generally leaves the surface of the pearl with a slightly "plastic" looking surface, and it tends to stick out like a sore thumb around natural colors (like the "Chocolate" Tahitians versus a naturally colored Bronze or Mink). You'd also lose some surface translucency- instead of glow from within, you have gloss on the outside.

Greenish tones are very common on GSS, and since the majority of those pearls are indeed untreated, I'd say your chances are good. But the best thing you can do is use your powers of observation and look closely for subtle color changes and glow.

I thought chocolate Tahitians were bleached, not dyed. Do they do both? Not at the same time, I mean, but as an either/or situation. You're right about the surface. Treated Tahitians have no luster that I've seen.

Except Josh. He's very lustrous!

One of our experts, who unfortunately doesn't post here often, Carolyn Ehret, says it is difficult to tell dyed goldens.

I am wondering just how "button shape" it is. A natural color golden would still have a round bead nucleus, which could result in a slight button shape, but I wouldn't think particularly extreme button. How "deep" is your pearl? Is there a way to get a somewhat accurate measurement? Have you looked at your pearl under 3x to 10x magnification?

One of my first posts here was of a strand of gumdrop-shaped GSS. Wish I could find the pic. They were beautiful and the shape could absolutely be called button.

I looked through your posts, and couldn't find it either, too bad. Was hoping to see. Also took a look at Jeremy's and Amanda's info posted a number of years ago--and looked at Jeremy's current offerings of golden SS.

Without a photo of the side view or measurement, it is difficult to see the actual shape of the pearl.

I did find this. Not what I was looking for, but close.

Attachments

• GSS05-461-XI.jpg
    GSS05-461-XI.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 38
Thanks for the trip down memory lane. I hope they went to a good home! I don't know what I had for dinner, but pearls I remember.

Hi Isi
and welcome to the forum. If you could photograp the pearl on a white paper towel as background, turn it over so that we can have a look from the "side" to see the shap better. Unfortunately you cannot look into the drillhole, that could under magnification show if there is some surplus colour. It really does have a somewhat unnatural deep yellow/orange tone IMO but as other members say, the greenish tones are quite common in natural coloured GSS. I have a pair of studs and a pendant and although they are lovely golden, their colour comes nowhere close to your pearl. I am going to change into my old avatar again, there you can see the GSS.

Hi everybody, thanks for all your answers and your caring.
I attach a side picture on a white background. Actually the button is rather deep, not extremely flat, and slightly pointed on the top. I guess the nacre is quite thick due to the battered-metal aspect on the very top. I could mesure the depth with my leveridge but right now I am in my office, not at home, so all I have is my graduated desk rule:). The pearl is roughly 10 mm deep, and 12.5 mm wide.
I am glad to read that the majority of GSSP are untreated. I must admit I have turned a bit paranoiac when I read in Elizabeth Strack's book that "insiders say that 80% of the golden and yellow pearls on the market are dyed" or a sentence of the sort. Hopefully this statement is very exaggerated.
I have examined the surface with x10 loupe and x20 binocular. To me it looks quite sound - no couloured spots, no nothing, only a colourless slight blemish consistent with SSP as far as I know. But as Jerin undelines I cannot check the drillhole. And my main problem is that I have never seen for real any dyed GSSP previously, at least consciously, so it is hard to compare !
I think that on that picture you can see that the colour lightens and changes gradually towards the base of the pearl.

Attachments

• perle gold c?t? 2.jpg
    perle gold c?t? 2.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:
Golden South Sea pearls are supposed to be rare and there are way too many of them on the market for me to believe that all the ones represented as "natural golden" are in fact that. The fact that your jeweler seemed surprised when you asked if it was dyed sends up a "red flag" (to me). The only way to be sure if the color is natural and for the pearl's origin to be what is represented is to have it tested by a lab (assuming, of course, the lab has equipment sophisticated enough to determine natural color).

Gail

Last edited:
I am afraid Gail is right. I would have liked to do without the lab and learn by myself but this is probably presomptuous !
I attach another picture of the front of the pendant. The colour is more realistic than on the first picture, probably because of the white background. Yet much of the real rich gold effect is gone on this new picture. Very hard to capture, at least with my small camera !
Somehow I can't help feeling that the colour is too subtle to be fake. Am I taking my wishes for reality ?:rolleyes:

Attachments

• perle gold 3.jpg
    perle gold 3.jpg
    14 KB · Views: 41
Thar she blows! A sweet little gumdrop shape. With the color graduation you are describing I would say its not treated. But then, I'm a nobody. If its a huge concern, take it to the lab for analysis. Frankly, I wouldn't care if its treated or not. Its very pretty!

Hi Isi,

Thanks for the additional photos! Seeing that shape does make me feel better --not likely to be a dyed button shape freshwater. And it is good that you have looked under magnification, and not seen blotchiness, etc, that might indicate dye. It is a lovely piece, and I probably wouldn't spend alot additional to be sure it was a natural color----------but, of course, that is your call.

Well, thanks to all of you for your support and suggestions.
Thanks as well for the english language lesson... I didn't know the expression "thar she blows"... I tried to guess the meaning... Sounds rather enthusiastic !

I am glad to read that the majority of GSSP are untreated. I must admit I have turned a bit paranoiac when I read in Elizabeth Strack's book that "insiders say that 80% of the golden and yellow pearls on the market are dyed" or a sentence of the sort. Hopefully this statement is very exaggerated.

Things change ... it could be that both counts are right, and neither makes it easier to decide about any single pearl ...

Yours is one very golden pearl, judging from the pictures! Reminds me of SOMETHING ;)

2c.

Back