Question about add a pearl necklace

B

Brenda Hall

Hey,
I started my 1st granddaughter a natural add-a-pearl necklace. She is now 6 years old and has (20) .4mm pearls. I have not changed the size of the pearls and was wondering if I should or not. Also, I will be purchasing another necklace for my 2nd granddaughter on the day she is born, which should be at the end of this month. Should I purchase cultured pearls or the same as I did for my first granddaughter? I visited a respected jewerly store and he tried to talk me into buying the cultured pearls. I want to give my 2nd granddaughter the same as the first granddaughter. Please give me some good advice on which pearls would be a better choice. I would like for my granddaughters to wear these necklaces on their wedding day. Thanks for listening![/FONT]

Hi Brenda
Welcome to the forum.

My advice. Give the 2nd and any others that follow, the same as the first. Much easier to keep track of and absolutely fair.
Where you do get natural pearls for a add on necklace? It sounds like the best possible choice.

Hey,
A jeweler that is well known in our area. They gave me a choice of cultured pearls or natural pearls, (they called them genuine pearls). Of course, I wanted the genuine pearls. They cost more, but at the time it was ok because this was my 1st granddaughter. I didn't know which ones to get for her.

I would be very wary of the term "genuine pearls" as this doesn't necessarily mean natural pearls.

The fact that he gave you the options of cultured pearls or genuine pearls to means he probably doesn't have much of a clue about what he is selling. Even if they are natural pearls, that is a pretty broad area, if he new what he was selling he would have told you the actual pearl type.

I'm thinking he was referring to freshwater pearls as "cultured pearls" and Akoya pearls as "genuine pearls" as these are the standard for add-a-pearl type necklaces.

Before going too much further I would suggest posting a pic of the pearls you have an one of our natural pearl experts here on the forums can tell you what you have.

Of course its impossible to say without seeing the pearls, but my experience with jewelers tells me a little research is warranted.

Hi Brenda
Genuine pearls are natural pearls and no cultured pearls are ever properly called genuine and/or real. If the jeweler is well known and respected, I am sure you got real pearls. Stick to them. You will never do better. Teach your grandchildren that those are real pearls not cultured pearls and tell them what real pearls are.

Look to the left. there are some nice articles on natural pearls, brief histories of famous natural pearls, and an even briefer Pearl history timeline that I wrote myself.

And ask any questions you wish. There are several of us posters so far, who are BIG fans of natural pearls. This forum has several experts on the subject.

Last edited:
Even if they aren't genuine natural pearls I'd advise you to stick to the same source for all the add- ons - It would just be easier for you to have just one brand and jeweler, than have to go here and there to add more for separate granddaughters.

If you are my age, that is mental clutter I don't need!

Also, if you want the new pearls to match the old, get them from the same source.

If they are actually cultured pearls, you should know that, so you don't perpetuate the stories I just told you to perpetuate.;)

Actually, those 4mm Akoya pearls are getting very popular. My Chinese friend has been trying to push them on me since January - telling me, "you can sell them, I promise, everybody is asking for this size now."
I am still not sold on them, however, as the perfect strands cost as much as the 6-6.5mm.

Even 4mm seems too small to me for an add-a-pearl necklace, whether it be fresh or salt. Can you imagine just a few pearls on a necklace in that size?

Back