Purchasing a strand of Tahitian Pearls

Hello pearl fans. This is my first post and I just found this website this morning, so happy to find it. I hope somebody can help me out with something.

I've decided to buy a strand of Tahitian pearls and have been doing a lot of research on the internet and locally. Price wise, I'm almost 100% set on buying from the internet. I know that I want a longer strand than usual, one that I can slip over my head and hangs midway between my bust.

Reading reviews, my first choice was Pearl Paradise http://www.pearlparadise.com/tahitianpearls.html but I don't see any long strands on their website. I did find what I thought I was looking for on The Pearl Source. I found this strand http://www.thepearlsource.com/Opera...l-Necklace-AAAA-Quality_9_collection_1176.htm. I really like the size and color and I was almost ready to buy it yesterday, but then I saw this strand on another website http://www.lagunapearl.com/Opera-Le...rl-Necklace-AAA-Quality_9_collection_1358.htm.

How can it be? The photograph is identical and both websites say "The photographed necklace is the EXACT strand you will receive." But the size, quality and price are different. This means one website is lying and copying the other or both websites are lying and I can't trust either.

I'm sorry if this is sounding inappropriate, but this is a really big purchase for me. Seeing something dishonest really scares me when I almost made a big purchase.

I am going to call Pearl Paradise this afternoon and ask if they have something that isn't on their website or that they can make too.

I'd definitely go with PP, they are huge and trustworthy. The other two companies you list are actually owned by the same people and I've had big problems with them.

I agree, but I want to add that You were so perceptive to see the two sites were either stealing photos, or as it turned out, related to each other - a natural eye.

I have nothing to say about them, but I do think PP will get you a great deal. The who people pick out those pearls, mr and mrs Pearl Paradise, have unbelievable eyes for pearls, and do it personally. I have watched them pick out pearls for years and they are real pros with high standards and the best sources; it doesn't get better than that for customers.

I changedmy mind about saying something about the two other sellers you mentioned. After I finished saying that Mr and Mrs are real people well known in pearl circles and they are the public face of PP. The CEO has his photo on the front page- or used to. Anyway, that is the difference PP represents everything the owners stand for out front, in public.

On the other hand, the other two sites you mentioned, have no owner, or ceo or manager to stand up and face the public. Both the latter sites are anonymously owned, and mention the inside wholesale pearl warehouses in LA.

Which scene is the lowest common denminator of pearl buying and selling.

The website could have been bought and sold several times- or not- and no one would know. They are just trying to empty those LA warehouses of their stacked up bags of pearls. And who knows, they may have even used stock photos as many of those import dealers or whatever they are, do. In other words, use the same photo as the other businesses in the hierarchy use. The outlets are run by big Corporation in China. People here or in china, competitvely set up websites and all use the same factory photos they are issue. I am aware of photos , some of which have previously been determined to come from PP.

We have actually had people join this site and put up their website url over here. People from P-G went and visited and found out they were using PP photos. When confronted, the new member and owner of the business would say those were the photos the factory who set up their web sites gave them!

Unless the owners of a source are willing to present themselves as the people behind the product, the site is one of the those competitive Chinese franchises being run by a corporation in China or it is produce of the LA warehouse scene, as I understand it. I would put all such anonymously owned pearl sites off my shopping list. You will either get product from the Chinese import warehouse scene in LA, or you will get factory grade pearls from a struggling franchise trying to pay for the franchise owners' pearls.

I thought that this real person vs. anonymous ownership thing could be the easiest way to check out a website. It isn't 100% fool proof, but at least you will have a person/owner to contend with if you eliminate the anonymous sites.

Hi and welcome,

I can only commend you taking the time to check the market before buying. Good for you!

Apart from PP and the other vendores with links under their posts here on PG (that are all bonefide real people) you should also check out http://www.tahitianpearls.biz. The owner is known here and I have only read good things about the shop here on PG.

- Karin

I believe, rightly or wrongly, that the Pearl Source and Laguna Pearl are operated by the same people, can't remember how I found out or where I read it.

DK :confused:

This is really interesting, thank you for the education!

Hello Mags: If PearlParadise doesn't have what you want on its site, just send them an email. They can probably provide accommodate you, including sending you a photo. Have fun! Tahitians are amazingly beautiful.
Linda.

Thank you for all the replies. This really helped a lot. I had a feeling that Pearl Source and Laguna were the same company but it still upsets me that they are being dishonest about the photographs of their pearls.

I have taken your guys advice and called yesterday so the piece is in the works. I am just waiting for photos!

Congrats on the new necklace! An opera length tahitian will be stunning!

kudos

kudos

KUDOS TO YOU. Honest competition is welcome. , , ,! and rare.

I changedmy mind about saying something about the two other sellers you mentioned. After I finished saying that Mr and Mrs are real people well known in pearl circles and they are the public face of PP. The CEO has his photo on the front page- or used to. Anyway, that is the difference PP represents everything the owners stand for out front, in public.

On the other hand, the other two sites you mentioned, have no owner, or ceo or manager to stand up and face the public. Both the latter sites are anonymously owned, and mention the inside wholesale pearl warehouses in LA.

Which scene is the lowest common denminator of pearl buying and selling.

The website could have been bought and sold several times- or not- and no one would know. They are just trying to empty those LA warehouses of their stacked up bags of pearls. And who knows, they may have even used stock photos as many of those import dealers or whatever they are, do. In other words, use the same photo as the other businesses in the hierarchy use. The outlets are run by big Corporation in China. People here or in china, competitvely set up websites and all use the same factory photos they are issue. I am aware of photos , some of which have previously been determined to come from PP.

We have actually had people join this site and put up their website url over here. People from P-G went and visited and found out they were using PP photos. When confronted, the new member and owner of the business would say those were the photos the factory who set up their web sites gave them!

Unless the owners of a source are willing to present themselves as the people behind the product, the site is one of the those competitive Chinese franchises being run by a corporation in China or it is produce of the LA warehouse scene, as I understand it. I would put all such anonymously owned pearl sites off my shopping list. You will either get product from the Chinese import warehouse scene in LA, or you will get factory grade pearls from a struggling franchise trying to pay for the franchise owners' pearls.

I thought that this real person vs. anonymous ownership thing could be the easiest way to check out a website. It isn't 100% fool proof, but at least you will have a person/owner to contend with if you eliminate the anonymous sites.

Back