Please help with green Tahitian earring design

KaySD

I bought a bright green strand of ringed baroque Tahitians from PP last year, and recently had them turn it into a tin cup with textured oval links, similar to Newberry’s peacock drop tin cup. The 4 smallest pearls from the strand (8-8.2 mm) were left over, and I am considering using them to create a pair of earrings. (I am currently wearing the necklace with a pair of YG oval hoops.)

I have a few ideas for the earrings, but am having a hard time making up my mind. I will post the 5 options I have come up with in separate posts. Please let me know which idea you like best, or if you have a different suggestion.

This is my necklace and the 4 loose pearls:

Ronda Tin Cup Tahitian 1 w.jpgRonda Tin Cup Tahitian 2 w.jpg4-2.jpg4 + necklace 2.jpg

Option 1: shepherd’s hook - oval link – pearl - oval link – pearl. This is the simplest option using leftover links with the leftover pearls, but I worry it is too matchy-matchy with the necklace, and the 8 mm pearls are not much larger than the links.

dangle earring 1.jpg

Similar to this non-Frankenstein's monster version, but with 2 pearls:

pearls on links 3.jpg

Option 2: 1 pearl on a thin YG hoop (3/4" - 1” diameter). I really like this look, but the pearls would probably need to be drilled with larger holes.

pearl on hoop.jpghoop 1.jpg

Option 3: 2 pearls on a hoop with a smaller gold bead in the middle.

hoop 2.jpg

Option 4: shepherd’s hook – pearl, then small circle component with pearl dangling inside

Circle 1.jpg

I was inspired by these designs:

pearl dangling in circle.jpgpearls dangling inside hoop.jpg

Option 5: shepherd’s hook –then oval or teardrop component with 2 pearls dangling inside

Oval.jpgTeardrop.jpgPearls in Hoop 1.jpg

That's it. Sorry for the huge photo size and scary photoshop skills.

Just my opinion, but I really like the last photo, large oval hoop earring with the 2 pearls dangling inside the hoop. It's dramatic, would show up against your lovely dark hair nicely ... I would not be at all above taking a bit of Pattye's suggestion, and adding a tiny gemstone between the 2 pearls for a bit of accent ... a little faceted diamond like my white Tahitians, a green/blue aquamarine, or even more contrast, such as a ruby or sapphire etc. Have fun!

One more idea: Your post #3, round hoop earring, not too big. But instead of drilling larger holes in the smaller Tahitians, turn the Tahitians into charm dangles ... and hang those onto the hoop, to dangle from the bottom of the hoop. Make each dangle a ring, then one of the textured rings from your necklace, then the Tahitian.

I like option 1 and the last option.

However, I would nix the shepherds hook and go for a more secure finding. Something with a nice solid lever back. First, you don't run the risk of losing the earring. And second, I just think it makes the earrings look more expensive.

Wow, I love that necklace, I mean LOVE it. Second, for what it's worth, I like option 1 the best, but another option 1(b) would be maybe getting rid of the top link. Could you wrap it so the Shepard Hook (I agree with BWeaves about maybe exchanging the Shepard Hook with another earring part) is attached to the top pearl? That would take away some of the redundancy between the necklace and earrings, but still allow them to go very nicely together. But, this is just me. But I LOVE that necklace, holy cow.

Love, love, love the tin cup! Do you wear longer earrings? Something like this might work.IMG_2071.jpg Of course in yellow gold. It would be longer than the links of the necklace, but still coordinated. You could also do a double drop, one inside and one below. Did I say how much I LOVE your tin cup???

I'm of no help cos I think all the designs look great. Love your style.
Pls keep us posted re which option you picked k?

I love all the options...omg, my head hurts!! But I think I'm leaning towards the simplicity of option 2 - maybe a 3/4" yg oval shape hoop to mimic the shape of the necklace links. Whichever option you choose will be the right one.

I like Jersey Pearl's last option with the long oval and a pearl hanging off the bottom and off the top inside the oval.

And I seriously love that tin cup. I loved Newberry's version, too.

I like option 2 and JerseyPearl's idea.
Here's what I do with a pair of drops that I have.

IMG_1738.jpg

OOOO, yes, that's another good option. Have the pearls put on large eye pins so you can hang them off any hooped earring you want. Very versatile. I have a lot of my drops made that way. I don't know why I didn't think of posting that.

Pattye, I like the idea of adding another element. Now the question is whether I can find just a few gemstone beads without having to buy a full strand.

Cathy, I love my large oval hoop earrings. I wish I could dangle the pearls inside them somehow, but my earlobe gets in the way, lol. I was trying to get an idea of how they would look inside the oval element Rio Grande sells, but it is smaller than my earring. I do have some YG filled head pins, so I could try making little charms of the pearls and dangling them from either my small round hoops or the larger oval hoops as an experiment. I’ve never done wire wrapping with the pins before – they are harder than the 20-26 gauge wire I have tried.

BWeaves, I have considered using an oval leverback instead of a shepherd’s hook. I think you are right about it looking more expensive that way.

BritM, I could get rid of the top link, especially if I go with a leverback component instead of a hook.

JerseyPearl, I love that hammered oval component. Where did you find it? I do like the idea of using a large oval component that mimics the shape of the chain without copying the necklace exactly.

lmgarden, my head hurts too, lol! A small oval hoop is a cool idea.

Newberry, I do love your drops! My pearls are drilled all the way through, so just an eyepin won’t work, as much as I love how clean that looks. I have to experiment with making a wire wrapped version using a headpin to fill the bottom hole.

BritM, Pearling Technologies, JerseyPearl, IcyJade, BWeaves, thank you for the compliments on the necklace. I am thrilled with it! :D

KaySD, so many lovely ideas here! Please post pictures after you decide!

Back