Pillow pearls?

lary007

I recently found some pearls being sold online under the term "pillow pearls". They remind me of fireball pearls, but I couldn't find any info online at all about pillow pearls. The seller says they are nucleated and freshwater in origin, and pass the tooth test. I have two: one is about 17mm by 13mm and the other is about 15mm by 10mm.

I am in the process of figuring out how to get my pics on here from my cell phone since my laptop decided to die.

Anyone heard of these?

20150713_235723~2.jpg

Hopefully that worked.

Attachments

• 20150713_235740.jpg
    20150713_235740.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 31
20150713_235642.jpg
Here's another view. When I can get my computer working again I'll be able to post better pics if I need to.

They don't feel especially lightweight to me, but I mostly work with faceted gemstones on a daily basis. If it helps, they are 18.7 and 13.78 carats (3.74 and 2.76 grams). I think the luster is actually pretty good. A lot better looking in person than in my sad pictures!

They look like flawed bead nuked pearls - in your second photo it looks as if there is a huge crater in the nacre on the shaded right side of the pearl. They are like not very dramatic fireballs or alternately flawed round BNs. Lustre looks good though. The sort of pearls which one says, 'what a pity' when you see them. Pillow pearl is probably an attempt to glam them up

Thanks for the info everybody! I picked these up for 6 bucks so I don't feel terrible for buying them. I was just really curious to know what they were!

Souffle' pearls are only lightweight when they have been drilled and cleaned out. An undrilled one might be heavy enough to not be distinguishable. :)

Good to know. These have been drilled so they must not be souffles in this case. I was wondering what the difference was and found a great explanation on souffle pearls in a blog post done by Jeremy at PP.

they could be bead nuked but they sure look like souffle pearls to me. Looks like nice luster and I wouldn't worry about that blemish in the tail end, for $6 you did well!

I'm definitely happy I got them for so cheap. I think I may make them into pendants and give one to my mom.

Back