Pigeon Blood from Tridacna?!

meredith

Community member
This black pearl is surprising when lighted up! It's said to originate from the Tridacna clam and comes from the Sea of Celebes, or in other words from Indonesia, Sulawesi. It's not big, just 0,9 ct and the measurements are 6,5 x 6,3 x 6,0 mm. That's all I can say about it.
I have not seen a pearl like that and cannot imagine which clam has produced it, Tridacna or not. It looks like the red heart has been wrapped up in black material. Curious to hear your opinion!

Attachments

• 20170115_154103-1_resized_1.jpg
    20170115_154103-1_resized_1.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 36
  • 20170128_124339-1_resized.jpg
    20170128_124339-1_resized.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20170124_135748_resized_1.jpg
    IMG_20170124_135748_resized_1.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 20170128_122414-1_resized.jpg
    20170128_122414-1_resized.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 2017-01-28 12.20.16-1_resized.jpg
    2017-01-28 12.20.16-1_resized.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 38
Oh yes, Pattye, it is in my hand! Taking pictures, I was suprised to see the "wrapping". At first I thought, it's just dark translucent material ...

Last edited:
I hope Dave will weigh in on this one! Fascinating for sure!

Dimensions aside and viewing small images, I have little information.

Pearls may pass light and attain metallic appearances on the surfaces. Likewise, the prune-like texture of the surface has also been observed in pearls.

If it were a pearl, I'd doubt it's origin to be Tridacna species nor any heterodonta subclass (toothed venus clams). Those tend to be highly prismatic and calcareous, hence largely opaque. Highly nacreous examples of T. gigas very often present with snow white prismatic structures, clear aragonitic surfaces and chatoyant eye-like patterns.

I'd also doubt it's pallial or extrapallial in onset. Meaning not borne of the mantle, but of another part of the mollusks anatomy. Perhaps the byssal gland or visceral mass (aka stomach or digestive tract). I've attached a couple of examples from my collection. The dark pieces are proteinaceous pearls taken from the byssal glands of mussels. When these are first observed, they are beige then turn dark once dried. The shape is identical. These also pass light, but gold/brown. Most venus clams depend upon byssus only near metamorphosis and pearls forming within those glands is rare. Likewise, mussels or pinna are highly dependent upon the use of byssus to maintain a fast hold during their entire lives.

Therefore, if it is a pearl, it's likely pen shell or horse mussel.

Testing this pearl would require some destruction to observe the structure under microscopy.

Attachments

• proteinaceous.jpg
    proteinaceous.jpg
    9.7 KB · Views: 39
  • proteinaceous1.jpg
    proteinaceous1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 39
Wow, this is fascinating! Thanks meredith and Thanks, Dave.

Oh, super cool! Dave, have you sacrificed any byssal pearls in the past that you have photos of? I'd love to see the inside structure and compare to a sacrificed mantel-borne pearl.

Really cool. But when I see it, I'm reminded of a carved Galatea pearl with a gemstone nucleus.

Oh, super cool! Dave, have you sacrificed any byssal pearls in the past that you have photos of? I'd love to see the inside structure and compare to a sacrificed mantel-borne pearl.

Yes.

They grow like any other pearl, in concentric layers which are easily peeled.

Attachments

• proteinaceous2.jpg
    proteinaceous2.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 31
  • proteinaceous4.jpg
    proteinaceous4.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 37
Wow~!!! Dave, so glad you are here to educate us. Thank you!

Back